PDA

View Full Version : Gibson F-9 vs. Jam Master

bg1975
Dec-30-2009, 10:39pm
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Gibson F-9 and the Jam Master? There is about $400-$500 difference in price and I'm not sure if the F-9 is worth the extra money.

Thanks!

majorbanjo
Dec-30-2009, 11:59pm
Well I have a F model Jam Master now and I have owned an F9.... both sound and played great....the neck is thinner on the F9....flat finger board on the F9 vs radius on Jam Master...the "Gibson" headstock was inlayed on F9 vs sticker on Jam Master....frets were smaller on F9 vs Jam Master...other than those differences don't see much difference.....I'm certainly no expert...but have owned both......they're both pretty good mandolins...

Might be able to find specifics on the Gibson website that detail more differences...I didn't research there...because it's your question....I think both are great mandolins....In fact I keep my eye on the classified for a bargain F9.....

J.Albert
Dec-31-2009, 12:18am
OK, I'll take a shot at describing what [I think] are the main differences.

F-9:
- narrow (1 1/16), flat fingerboard
- narrow frets
- traditional sunburst finish
- logo is inlaid in peghead

Jam Master:
- wider (1 3/16), radiused fingerboard
- wider frets
- stain finish (not sunburst, actually like older F-9's were)
- logo is a decal

Both have tone bar bracing and satin finishes.

I'm guessing that the bodies are essentially identical "in the white" before fitting the necks and doing the finishing. But it would take someone like Dave Harvey of Gibson to answer that definitively.

I think the greatest "difference" between the two instruments is the "feel" that each is designed to convey towards the player.

The F-9 represents the "traditional" Gibson-styled mandolin with an eye towards the "feel in your hands" of a 1920's-era instrument.

The Jam Master gives the player a more "modern feel", as would a contemporary instrument such as a Collings. However, that may not be truly any more modern than Gibson attained with their 1930's F-5's - Sam Bush's "Hoss" comes to mind. Those 30's instruments were ahead of their time (thinking of the radiused fingerboards on the top-tension banjos, as well).

Of course, Gibson has had a "modern-feel" mandolin in their lineup for a while now - the "Sam Bush" signature model. But it came with a pretty steep price. I sense that some folks at Gibson (Dave Harvey and perhaps Danny Roberts?) came to realize that they were losing sales to other builders from buyers who wanted the modern feel but couldn't dig deep enough for the Bush F-5. Hence, the appearance of the Jam Masters.

I particularly like some of the "finish variations" in the model that have sprung up, as well.

Perhaps some others who've had the opportunity to sample both models side-by-side can comment on tonal characteristics. I've yet to see a Jam Master except in pics...

- John

John Kinn
Dec-31-2009, 2:08pm
Are the spesifications on the F9 comparable to the A9?

Greenmando
Dec-31-2009, 4:35pm
Are the spesifications on the F9 comparable to the A9?
yes, I have both and they are both cannons