PDA

View Full Version : the Gibson Showcase

Kevin Briggs
Dec-30-2009, 5:31pm
Hello, everyone!

My wife and I are in Nashville for New Years celebrating our 10th anniversary. We're staying at the Gaylord and are seeing Old Crow Medicine Show New Year's Eve at the Ryman.

Tonya has been enjoying the spa, which has been a perfect excuse for me to enjoy the Gibson Showcase over at the Opry Mills Mall. It's a pretty good trade, as John Dunbar would say.

The Showcase was sweet. It was basically like a cooler version of Guitar Center, except you could also watch the luthiers making mandolins and guitars. The people working there were really nice, and they let me play everything and anything I wanted.

I played a few Gibson (not Epiphone) acoustic guitars, and they were nice. I liked the low end, but the highs seemed muted, so I wasn't too keen on any of them. Still, they were definitely nice guitars, and they were worth their price.

I obviously spent more time playing mandolins, and it was a great experience. I had three favorites, one of which being the "one" I would have purchased if I was able. In all, I played Jamster A and F models, an A9, 1960s Fern, F5L, Goldrush, Wayne Benson, Sam Bush, used MM, new MM, and a Skaggs DMM.

They were obviously all at least pretty nice, and I can't say enough about the kind staff working. I'd say the only true dud was the 1960s Fern. Overall, they had the dry woody tone that defines Gibsons. They were all loud, except for the 1960s Fern, some more than others. The necks were very comfortable, and the fit finish was great, even on the varnish models.

Of all of the mandolins, I liked the new MM, Sam Bush, and Goldrush the best. I attribute this to a few things, the most important being quality of setup. Still, there was something special about those three. I'll describe each, for your MAS enjoyment/torture.

I know you're all wondering about the new (2008) MM, so I'll ham it up and give you what you want. The highlights of the MM were the slim neck, sophistocated tone, balanced, loud chop, and plain old fine craftsmanship. The varnish finish had that vintage glow, which added to the positive experience. In terms of actually playing it, the fiddle tunes rolled out nicely. My hands are not as in shape as they used to be due to neglect, but I could still sense the quality. The notes were not as poppy or round as my Weber Fern, and they were necessarily strong, but they were fine and they were sleek. The chop did not fill the room, but it was substantial. Ultimately, I put it down in search of more volume.

I eventually made my way to the Sam Bush model, monel strings and all. It had some full, balanced tone, and also had some of the sophistication of the MM. What made it more impressive to me is that is was louder. The chop was not crazy, but definitely did a better job of filing the room. I could pick notes quickly on it, but could also hit a percussive chop that rang from highs to lows. Nice mandolin, and the wider neck was not as burdensome as I remember. It was, to me, an upgrade in tone over the MM. I attribue this to fine construction, and to my personal tastes.

Finally, the Goldrush was the king of the bunch. I'm sorry, but the chop filled the entire Showcase. I actually thought I shouldn't play so loud because of people trying out guitars. The low G was stark, dry, and full. The high E was piercing and loud. The chop was stiff all the way up the neck. It played incredibly well. In all, it was the only one I would actually purchase, considering the price. It's not to say the others weren't, but for me they were not as worth it as the Goldrush. I suspect somone else may have felt differently, accounting for personal taste.

The elephant in the room in this post is that the Skaggs DMM was not one of the gems. It may have been the strings or the setup, but the three I liked outperformed it. It was even one Skaggs played on tour, and it sounded sort of flat. The fellow working said Dave Harvey recently set it up as well, which perplexed me, based on his reputation. I'm not trashing the DMM, but I feel compelled to report that it was not even the third best mandolin in the place. I'd rank it fifth, after the used MM.

Finally, I also want to add that my perception is also influenced by the mandolin I own, which has a nitro finish and two years of solid playing. I don't think it is a coincidence that I liked two mandolins with lacquer finish the best. They had a resemhlance to mine in the basic attack and response, so I think I could appreciate the tones a little more with that in mind. They kind of played the same as mine does, so I might have been able to pull the tone out a little better. Of course, this could all be a result of the individual differences in mandolins.

Anyway... Hope you enjoyed the post. If you are in Nashville you owe it to yourself to go to the Showcase. It was a sweet place.

Poener
Dec-30-2009, 5:33pm
WOW! Thanks for that report.

Charlieshafer
Dec-30-2009, 5:41pm
Well that's just great, now I'll need to sell my last living relative to get down there and goof around myself. Great report!

Scott Crabtree
Dec-30-2009, 5:48pm
Great review!

Bobby Branton
Dec-30-2009, 5:49pm
Were the Jam Masters worth the money??
BB

GTison
Dec-30-2009, 7:54pm
I was there last week. I played a F5G, the 1960s F-12 (lump scroll), and a MasterModel model. I guess I didn't have as much time.

First, the F-12 "lumpy" was a very good lumpy I thought. I was surprised at the tone. I played another lately that was not nearly as good. A good sounding one if you want one of these.

Next I reached up high and grabbed a F5G. It had a very loud rumbly chop and you could hear it bouncing off the walls even though the store was full of noise and people. I thought it was very alive and had the mellower tone that I think the F5Gs have.

I then asked if he had a Master Model to play. (I've never played one) They seemed to have one of everything on the wall behind the counter. He reached back and handed me the Master Model, probably the same one mentioned above. I walked around playing it a bit waiting for one of the tryout rooms (closets) close by.
The tone of the Master Model was very different than the F5G. I expected better treble than the F5G, with as much bass or something like that. The Master Model played really easy and with a loose feel of the strings. It did have some really cutting trebles which I loved. When I played the open G it was kinda thuddy sounding ( no slight here), but that's how many of them are, and that's OK with me. When you fret the bass strings they sound fine and project well. Overall impression after playing it for a while. I WISH I HAD THE MASTERMODEL. I thought it sent the treble sound out across the room maybe better than the F5G and that is important to me and the way I like to play. It has a tone that the F5G can't make, and I'm not sure I can quantify it. An example of it would be playing "rawhide" up the neck and playing the open strings in between the fretted ones the F5G wouldn't make the sound I was after. I thought the MasterModel has more what I think of as a Loar tone; a more trebley projecting sound. I wished I could afford one of these, but alas. Anyone looking for one should go see this one. $16,000 is a lot of money these days though. They still make some great mandolins.

In talking myself out of coveting it; I have a fine '02 FERN model. I would say for me it's more than I currently need, bla-bla-bla.
Wish I had had more time.

John Eischen
Dec-30-2009, 7:56pm
Good review, and I'm checkin' out your videos. Good stuff!

hank
Dec-30-2009, 7:59pm
Thanks Kevin sounds like you had a great 10th Anniversary. There are a few more post in the Gibson Group where the Rush's got a ride home. I got mine at Janet Davis without the luxury of MM, DMM, and a SB for comparison but it wasn't needed. Like any other make or model there are some better than others but when Mr Anderson introduced me to YellowBell there was no question in my mind that she had a great voice. After two sleepless weeks my wife agreed we needed to bring her home.

woodwizard
Dec-30-2009, 8:17pm
Kevin! I love that place! ... Reading your review was fun. You remind me of ... me. Sure wish it wasn't so far away. Just like you guys we went to the Ryman as well ... to see Sam Bush. If you get a chance swing by and hang out at the Station Inn. You never know who'll show up there.
Happy New Year everyone!

allenhopkins
Dec-30-2009, 11:07pm
One thing I take away from Kevin's description, is how different individual instruments can be. So many of our threads have language like "the F-5G sounds like this" or "Webers are more such-and-such than Gibsons" or "you'll like the KM-505 more than the RM-75"...something like that. And yet you can take two F-5G's or two Master Models, or two Yellowstones or two MT's or two whatevers, and they'll sound different and you'll prefer one to the other. Had Kevin showed up on a different day with a different mix of inventory available, he might have preferred the Benson model, or even the Jam Master.

I'm no more reticent than anyone when it comes to giving advice and recommendations, but I hope I can temper my supposed "knowledgeability" with recognition that every instrument is different, and no generalization is worth a damn -- including this one...

Kevin Briggs
Dec-31-2009, 5:28am
Alan, that was definitely the lesson. I went in trying my best to have an open mind, and I left with what I think is a fair handle on the stock models at the Showcase.

Of course, who knows why I liked what I liked. The strings differed on some of the models. Some strings were older than others. Most of the mandolins have been sitting there as displays for two years or more. I only used a Dawg pick on each model. I faced a wall when playing. I spent about ten minutes on each instrument. I had to tune each instrument before playing. I warmed up outside yesterday. Etc.

To answer the other question, I can report that the Jam Masters were good as well. The F style seemed to have a better setup, and it played accordingly. I kept wanting the A style to be the sleeper, but for whatever reason it was the second least enjoyable mandolin in the place (1960s F-12, thanks for the correction in an earlier post). I think like all mandolins the setups were key.
I agree that the MMs and DMM had that thuddy G string. I guess its intentional. It doesn't make any sense to me, because it sounds muffled and sort of like.a dead string, but I'm willing to accept the fact that I may not fully understand something or other about Loar style mandolins. All I know is that I like a crisp, loud, resonant G string.

I also forgot to mention that I played one of the new A9 ov holes. I liked it very much. It had that oval hole resonance, and what I hear as a mystical sound that some ovals have. I'd feel comfortable getting one if my finances allowed it.

Big Joe
Dec-31-2009, 7:27am
I've been there a few times :) . It is a great place, and the staff there does a great job considering how terribly understaffed they are! Lot's of wonderful people at the Showcase and OAI!

Kevin Briggs
Dec-31-2009, 8:55am
Sorry we haven't been to your place yet, Joe. Today we are heading into the city, but are going via shuttle, so I'm not sure how I can make it work out. I'm probably a fool for not stopping in, but then again my wallet is "safe" from that Absoraka you have in stock. That price is a steal!

GTison
Dec-31-2009, 9:22am
I guess that was an A-12 not an F-12 as I said before. I don't know why they call it an "A" but it seems that in the correct name. Big Joe has some great mandolins too. If you have a car it's not too far from the Opryland.

kirksdad
Dec-31-2009, 9:57am
Kevin;

Great write up. I was at the showcase this past fall, and agree that the people working the showcase are great. I got to try just about all of what you mentioned including a black topped vintage model called the "Victorian." which very much impressed me. The Jam Masters were to me, the most impressive, when combining price and sound. If Gibson is trying to capture the "budget" market mandolin world, well they are off to a great start with the Jam Masters.

For the record, I own a Weber Yellowstone, wide neck, red spruce top.

Capt. E
Dec-31-2009, 10:11am
Thanks for the report. We have a Gibson Showcase here in Austin, but I never seem to be able to make it when it is open for an event. I've just looked in the windows. I need to make sure to attend it next time. It's not Nashville, but it's a pretty sweet place.

f5loar
Dec-31-2009, 11:47am
Sorry guys, no such thing as a 60's Fern or a 60's Lump scroll F12 or A12. Those would be 70's.
Are you saying Gibson had them labeled as a 60's and is selling them as a 60's?
Maybe they need to consult with Gruhn before they advertise it for sale to get the dates of things they made a bit closer. It's one thing when a pawn shop on ebay gets the date wrong on these Gibsons. It's another when Gibson gets it wrong.

Kevin Briggs
Dec-31-2009, 12:09pm
Thanks for the information. They had it on the wall tagged as a "1960s" F5. It was listed for $2,500, which could only possibly reflect the age of the mandolin, since the tone was well below the Jam Master A, and that was the second from the the bottom, tonally.

Again, there is something to be said for the quality of the setup. I have to think that Dave could sprinkle some magic dust on it and at least increase the volume. It sunded like it has a towel shoved in the body.

Oh well. One dud is not too bad, from my perspective.

JeffD
Dec-31-2009, 12:23pm
I was to the Gibson Showcase in Nashville earlier this year, and had lots of fun trying out the mandolins. I ended up liking the A9 I played the best.

D C Blood
Dec-31-2009, 12:41pm
Hey Kevin...If you're still in town tomorrow, we're going to a great party, up in Hendersonville, at Robin Roller's home. Lots of food, lots of pickin', probably a good number of mandolins (including mine)...Give me a call if interested and able. I could pick you up if needed. 615-512-1181

Kevin Briggs
Dec-31-2009, 5:58pm
Wow... Thanks for the invitation. Unfortunately, we are going back to PA tomorrow, I'll have to take a rain check. I appreciate it though.

ßtand by for a new thread about my trip to Gruhns today. That too was a place and a half.