PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Banjo

flairbzzt
Dec-30-2009, 12:13pm
A friend of mine is looking to I.D. this mandolin banjo. As is typical for these, there is no manufacturer markings. It looks better than most I've seen and the inlays are not so typical. It is said to be from the 20's/30's. any ideas of maker/value? It has an open back. -Richard J.

Jim Kirkland
Dec-31-2009, 1:48am
How about a photo of the back. I Keep my washington hanging on the stand most of the time, just grab it, do a tune and run all the animals out of the neighborhood.

mandroid
Dec-31-2009, 9:31pm
Maybe Slingerland,? towards the top of the range archtop and all that inlay..

A Concertone is also getting its background checked. in another thread.

8ch(pl)
Jan-01-2010, 6:44am
I had one like this, unmarked. I have seen them marked Bruno, (by the headstock shape) and I believe they were made at the old Buckbee Plant in NYC when it was operated by Rhettberg and Lange. Around World War 1 to 1920's era.

flairbzzt
Jan-01-2010, 11:48am
Thanks guys. I'm waiting for the owner to send me a rear view...of the instrument.

allenhopkins
Jan-01-2010, 1:37pm
I think 8ch(pl) nailed it -- Orpheum mandolin-banjo, made by Rettberg & Lange in NYCity. Check out this one (http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=3403&CartID=470922282009) from Retrofret; they look like a pair, inlays, squared-off fretboard extension, etc. The Retrofret one's labeled "Orpheum No. 1."

By the way: the Retrofret instrument is described as "unusual" because the shell measures 12 inches. Just from looking at the photo, I'd say yours has the more standard 11-inch "pot." Is that true?

mandroid
Jan-01-2010, 2:13pm
NB, headstock shape got generalized on F5's That dollop/scroll bit to get knocked off on all of type,

why wouldn't those makers do similar? :confused:

I have a BM & a BU with same headstock end profile more like the OP's picture rather than the open book profile on that Orpheum , FWIW.

Gibson Guitars use an open book end profile too. :popcorn: