PDA

View Full Version : Used Rigel

jongolin
Sep-07-2004, 6:30pm
I'm saving up me pennies (and they're getting SO heavy!) and I keep coming to the classifieds section and looking for mandolas, specifically, a Rigel mandola but I almost never see them. Nor anywhere else on the web. Now I know how much they cost new and I have no delusions (well, maybe some...) about getting one for a song and a dance--though that would be particularly appropo--but I can't even get a bead on what they MIGHT cost used. There are specific reasons I want a Rigel, apart from the fact that they are incredibly well made instruments: Primarily it's the size. The only other mandola I know of that has a 15 3/4 scale length is an (old only I believe) Gibson which, as far as I can ascertain, are even MORE expensive than a Rigel. Any suggestions of where I could check on regular basis for up-to-date prices on used Rigel Mandolas? Or is it best to forget about until I've got the cash in hand and get a new one?

jongolin
Sep-09-2004, 5:41pm
Hey jongo,
I don't know either where someone would go on the web to find some used Rigel mandolas prices. I've looked in google & yahoo too but haven't found anything. Maybe someone smarter and wiser than either you or me will pipe in and help us out. Good luck!

Jim M.
Sep-09-2004, 6:15pm
If there were more of them, you'd see more used, but Rigel hasn't made very many mandolas (you could query them directly for how many). The demand for mandolas is just not as high as for mandolins. I believe you have to special order one from Rigel, so when people buy them, it's a much more deliberate decision and people tend to keep those kinds of instruments longer. I'd say that in the last three years, I've seen one used Rigel mandola anywhere, and I may be mis-remembering that. I know I've seen one used Rigel resophonic mando, they are pretty rare too.

Boombloom
Sep-11-2004, 4:40am
Maybe ask Peter and Pete at Rigel to keep an eye open for you. I get the impression that they stay in contact with some of their buyers.