PDA

View Full Version : old mandolin

Vladnik
Dec-30-2009, 10:16am

Can anyone give me any information about my mandolin that I've just fetched down from the attic?
It was given to my father by his music teacher in England sometime in the 1930s so I know its older than that. Its in its original case, is decorated with what looks like tortoise shell and mother of pearl and is stamped with the makers name Mario Casella, Catania.
I'd like to sell it to someone who will appreciate it. Can you give me an idea of its worth?

Bob A
Dec-30-2009, 12:11pm
Maybe a couple hundred if it's in playable condition and not needing work (frets, tuners, neck angle, etc).

Vladnik
Jan-02-2010, 5:20am
Thanks for the prompt reply.
do you have any idea how old it might be? or anything else of interest?

allenhopkins
Jan-02-2010, 1:38pm
Here's (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31017&highlight=casella) a thread on another Casella mandolin; he apparently was a Sicilian builder. Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2119648) are all the threads that mention Casella. Yours is a flat-back, and most of the others referenced are bowl-backs. The other instruments seem to be early 20th century. Casella's instruments seem to be characterized by more elaborate inlays, although there are comments that they're not as well-made as the Neapolitan manufacturers' products. A Google search on "Mario Casella mandolin" turns up at least a dozen examples in various shops, auctions, and exhibits. Many of his mandolins feature rosewood back and sides, a seems to be the case with yours

I would value your mandolin a little higher, if it's indeed in fully playable shape. Light gauge strings only, and it wouldn't hurt to have it looked over in a pro repair shop just to ensure it's in good condition.

Jim Garber
Jan-02-2010, 10:49pm
Yes. Sicilian maker. The stamp says Catania which was (and sort of still is) a big center of musical instrument manufacturing in Sicily.