PDA

View Full Version : David McLaughlin’s hearing loss – how you can help

Scotti Adams
Dec-29-2009, 12:32pm
From The Bluegrass Blog.....Thought you all might like to know. I wasnt aware of this:

Bluegrass mandolinists and long-time fans of traditional bluegrass music are well acquainted with David McLaughlin. He’s been involved in several popular bands since he first started performing actively in the late 1970s, and has been responsible for clarifying how Monroe-based mandolin styles can be applied to more modern music.

I first became aware of David when The Johnson Mountain Boys started touring widely in the early 1980s. His style was explosive and aggressive, but against the grain as compared to the envelope-stretching approach coming into vogue at the time.

In fact, a big part of what made The Johnson Mountain Boys stand out was their total immersion in the bluegrass retro vibe, from their stage attire and banter, to their song choice and arrangements. There was Eddie Stubbs doing the announcing and playing fiddle, and Dudley Connell singing lead and playing guitar. Over the years JMB would introduce such now-familiar names as Tom Adams and Marshall Wilborn to bluegrass fans, and McLaughlin’s mandolin style was a driving force throughout their career.

David went on to work with Lynn Morris where he developed a different mandolin style, at Lynn’s request, which made use of the Monroe sound, but adapted for Lynn’s music. He has also produced an instructional video for The Murphy Method, and performed with a number of DC-based bluegrass acts. He also ran a recording studio in his home.

McLaughlin has always bristled somewhat under his type-casting as a “Monroe style” player, as his knowledge and expertise on his instrument goes far wider that simply a preservationst’s. In 2006 I saw him in action as an instructor at The Roanoke Bluegrass Weekend where his facility with the mandolin was duly noted by all in attendance.

Just a few months later, David suffered a near total hearing loss. It struck in a moment, leaving a talented musician and engineer unable to continue working in his field. Some of his hearing returned and he found a bit of relief with powerful hearing aids, but for a musician, this is still a crippling handicap. I had spoken with David not long after his first encounter with this issue, and he was upbeat and positive about this development, in keeping with his personality.

Just recently, David has found a device called the Oticon Dual, which paired with an Oticon Streamer, has brought his hearing back quite close to where it was prior to the incident. He has the device “on loan” at present with the $7000 price tag an impediment to his purchasing it for full time use.

His old friend Claire Lynch has leapt into the breach and established a David McLaughlin Benefit Fund to raise the necessary money to ensure that David can have this device and return to his musical ventures. They knew each other from way back, when Claire’s Front Porch String band was running many of the same roads as The Johnson Mountain Boys.

Donations can be sent via PayPal using the email address McLaughlinFund@gmail.com, or checks made out to David McLaughlin Benefit Fund can be sent to:

Jennifer Hardiman
805 E. College St.
Pulaski TN 38478 USA

GVD
Dec-29-2009, 12:49pm
Thanks for posting this Scotti. Here's some more details from David himself.

I have recieved emails and phone calls recently from so many caring and kind people about my hearing loss, that will try to answer and make clear, here on facebook, exactly what the deal is with my hearing.

I was a longtime career musician, involved with performing, music and audio production. It was my life, but in 200...4, I experienced a sudden slight neural hearing loss in my left ear. Along with this came significant vertigo, with a couple of cases of me collapsing on stage, including one while playing guitar with Junior Brown. I went for repeat visits to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore to Dr Lloyd Minor for treatment, but with little success. It was only a slight loss of high frequency, but still devastating, since I had been a recording engineer with perfect hearing in both ears until then. Still, I was able to continue my career with a perfect right ear.

In December of 2005, I woke up one morning totally deaf in my right ear and nearly totally deaf in my left ear, missing ALL mids and highs, only able to hear some very low frequency in my left ear only. And along with that came out-of-control vertigo so severe that I was hospitalized (deaf) with nonstop spinning, violently sick. The severe dizzyness has not changed since then. I have just learned how to live with it.

I went for many regular visits to JH Hospital, for injections though my eardrums, and after a few treatments, I had regained only the slightest perceivable hearing gain. So since then, my right ear hears only extremely low level, indecipherable low frequency sounds, and only when the sound source is very loud. So my right ear is basically deaf. My left ear hears only low frequency, too, but more sound than my right ear.

The mechanics of my eardrums and inner ears are fine, but the signal does not get to my brain, so no implant will work.

What all this has meant to my career as a musician is that as a recording engineer, it's like flying an airplane on instruments. I can see if it's right, but I can't hear it. So I can track really well and still know how to get great sound going in. I cannot mix, though without good ears by my side. As a performing musician, I can't hear the fundamental frequencies of what I or anybody else is playing. I can only "feel" a guitar, mandolin, or fiddle. So I play from memory, using my eyes to see where I am on the fingerboard. I can hear bass and can generally feel the pulse of the rhythm in a band, and I use my eyes to watch bandmates moving to keep my place. Playing a violin is all guesswork with my left hand. Singing is also guesswork.

I never give up playing and singing, and still try to stay involved with music on a professional level to some degree. I have been doing a little engineering, a little session work, occasional stage work, but I just can't hear it. I still have fun though, being with friends and pleasing the listeners. I am barely able to hear any radio or CDs, but still try to keep up with what's going on in the music world.

I have always kept a good attitude about my loss of hearing, only because we don't have to look too far to find someone with worse problems than our own. I am a very fortunate that so far, it is only my hearing I've lost.

I have lived with severe loss of hearing for exactly four years. But at least I now know there is hope for me to hear again with new cutting-edge hearing aid technology. I also know that many of you have been praying, hoping and helping to find a way for my hearing loss to turn around. New hearing instruments may be the answer. I have been fortunate to borrow a demo set of some amazing instruments by Oticon over the holidays, and the improvement is startling. They work...to say the least.

So thanks to all of you who have expressed care and concern and who are trying to help me hear again! My heartfelt love and appreciation to all of you!

Scotti Adams
Dec-29-2009, 12:53pm
Man..what I tragedy. Hopfully things will get better.

Thanks for sharing "the rest of the story"

GVD
Dec-29-2009, 12:57pm
I had forwarded the following Claire Lynch FB posting to all of my non FB using musician friends but never thought to post it here until seeing Scotti's thread.

We move in spheres where our heart leads us most of the time. At least I do. Something alarmingly wonderful happened to me last week when I happened to read David’s first post on Facebook about his hearing loss.

What David did not say in today’s post is that the purchase cost for this amazing hearing device is in excess of $7,000.00. ... See More

I was just so moved when I heard this story that I contacted David – I hadn’t connected with him in years. And here’s a little bit more of the story. When he lost his hearing and all hope of continuing to support himself with music, he pooled his resources and savings into buying an old inn and converting it to a B&B. His start up costs haven’t put him in the “black” yet, but he has hope for this charming business to flourish once our economy picks itself up again.

David was the first one to tell me that there are many people in this world who are far-less-fortunate than he. Agreed. Yet there’s some compulsion here for me as a fellow musician and member of the bluegrass and acoustic community to want to pitch in and see that David gets this hearing device. I, for one, want to give him back the gift of music. Does anybody out there feel the same?

I’ve done something I’ve never attempted to do before – I’ve set up a benefit fund to raise the $7000. If we all just put a few dollars in, I think that, together, we could be a big help.

Of course, it is GREAT for you all to send him your well-wishes and prayers and I believe these are what fuel the ultimate answer. But I also feel that Godly Love is most effective when put into action.

I’ve been on the receiving end of financial help before when I didn’t even have the means to buy eyeglasses and a prescription – it is a humbling experience, however warm and comforting. I do know David would never want to solicit your help, so I’m doing it instead.

I’ve already had an outpouring of love and money from people who saw my little comment a number of days ago… so I’m encouraged!

If you’d like to help give David McLaughlin his music back, I’ve listed some ways you can do so below. Oh yes, and once we reach the $7000. mark, this project will be closed, we’ll write the check to David, he’ll have his hearing devices and we’ll all be left with the blessing that comes to those who give! Thanks so much for listening… and Happy Holidays!
~Claire Lynch

WAYS TO CONTRIBUTE:

1 - You can contribute directly from your computer into a PAYPAL ACCOUNT we’ve set up. Send the money to this email address: McLaughlinFund@GMAIL.COM. BE SURE AND CHECK THE BOX THAT SAYS YOUR MONEY IS BEING SENT AS A “GIFT”! If you can send money directly from your PayPal account instead of using your credit card, we will not have to incur service fees... but either way will work!

2 - Send a check in USD made out to "David McLaughlin Benefit Fund" and mail it to my assistant who will deposit it into the bank account:

Jennifer Hardiman
805 E. College St.
Pulaski TN 38478 USA

3 – Walk into any SunTrust Bank and make a deposit into the “David McLaughlin Benefit Fund” account – you’ll need the account number to do this. Here it is: 1000105947542.

4 – We’ve already had some friends in Europe send money via wire transfer. If you are interested in doing this, please contact Jennifer Hardiman at mclaughlinfund@gmail.com.

WHAT BETTER TIME THAN CHRISTMAS TO GIVE SUCH A GIFT! Thanks for reading my long post!

Claire Lynch

jim simpson
Dec-29-2009, 2:14pm
Thanks for this thread. It's the least we as a community can do to give back to someone like David, he has given so much to us.

Big Joe
Dec-29-2009, 3:21pm
David is a good friend and a wonderful person. I am glad we have an opportunity to help. He should be remembered not only for his music, but for the character he possesses.

Mandolin Mick
Dec-29-2009, 6:05pm
I know what it's like ... lost my right ear overnight in June of 1995 for no apparent reason.

Scotti Adams
Dec-30-2009, 12:27pm
Shameless bump HAPPY NEW YEAR!

jim simpson
Dec-31-2009, 12:00am
Scotti,
Thanks for the shameless bump - it's a good bump for a good guy!

Scott Tichenor
Dec-31-2009, 12:16am
Just sent my donation and will add a link to this page shortly. Have been out of state on vacation and just learned of David's case and hope for the best for him.

Rolfe
Dec-31-2009, 8:36am
I am currently wearing a pair of probably the same Oticon that David should have. I've had them over a year now, wouldn't be without them, and I would be glad to share some personal information about them with David if someone can provide an e-mail address for me.

evanreilly
Dec-31-2009, 11:30am
FWIW, David is on Facebook.

chordbanger
Dec-31-2009, 12:13pm
Sorry to hear about this. My father and his brother were born deaf, it runs in my family, and I have many other family members who are completely deaf. Having hearing loss is a terrible thing for anyone. Will gladly help.

dave
Dec-31-2009, 9:21pm
Can we do Pay Pal ??

GVD
Dec-31-2009, 9:45pm
Can we do Pay Pal ??

Yes as per Scotti's post you can send them to the email address below.

Donations can be sent via PayPal using the email address McLaughlinFund@gmail.com

Ron Thomason
Jan-01-2010, 9:31pm
Thanks so much for this information, Scotti. It is a great thing that you and Clare are doing and so also the folks on this site who are donating. I have known David for several decades and recorded in his studio and yet did not know about these devices (and their cost) which have given him back his hearing. It is a privilege to have this info and to be given an avenue to help. RT

MojoMando
Jan-02-2010, 10:38am
I listen to Dave's terrific playing on Working On A Building and Blue Grass Twist from the JMB Requests album every couple of days or so as a reminder and touchstone of what great mandolin tone is all about. Let's keep this post at the top, and let's try do do whatever we can to support this worthy cause.

Ron Thomason
Jan-02-2010, 11:15am
Can someone please help me? I clicked on the link in Claire's post assuming that it would lead me to a site from which I could contribute. What came up was an "email" form just like the one I would get on Outlooks if I were sending an email. I asked for directions, but I doubt that's what I was supposed to do. I'm certain that many of you have already contributed, and if you wouldn't mind telling me how you did it; I would very much appreciate knowing the steps to follow. RT

Ron Hale
Jan-02-2010, 1:13pm
Ron, If you have a PayPal account, log-in and along the top row, select the tab "send money". A dialog box will appear. The first row is the "to:" box. Place the email address you encountered in that area. The next row, insert the amount you wish to donate, the next box / row, select the "Personal" tab, then select the "gift" button. Then hit the continue button.
Hope that helps.

By the way, this is a wonderful gesture, and I'm happy to say, "I'm in!" Thanks to those who took the bull by the horn, and to Mandolin Cafe for providing the coverage. Happy New Year to all, and God Speed to David.

Ronnie

mandroid
Jan-02-2010, 1:16pm
Coping with Tinnitus myself , read of a study of notch filtering recorded music, as a symptom reduction , but not when the music is live and coming from the musicians own efforts.

GVD
Jan-02-2010, 4:29pm
As of 3pm Nashville time on Jan. 2nd the total for the David McLaughlin Hearing Fund is now $4674.92.

Thanks to all who have donated and keep it coming.

jim simpson
Jan-02-2010, 6:03pm
That is good news! We're well on our way.

Mando Gil
Jan-03-2010, 4:07pm
Bump!

Scotti Adams
Jan-04-2010, 11:43am
Heres the latest courtesy if the BGBlog..great things happen to great people.

Claire Lynch tells us that she has received over $5,300 is donations to defray the cost of David McLaughin’s new hearing aid, well on the way to reaching the goal of $7,000.

We reported last week on how David lost his hearing a few years back, and had largely submitted to his new status until discovering a device that is capable of restoring his hearing, and allowing him to return to functioning as a musician. David had opened a Bed & Breakfast inn, The Nancy Shepherd House, in Winchester, VA when he was unable to continue working as a recording engineer, but is now able to play again with this new hearing aid.

But the device is only on loan, and Claire set up this benefit fund when she learned of David’s situation. She had never before done anything of this sort, and is overjoyed by the number of bluegrass fans who have made donations to help David keep this device.

GVD
Jan-06-2010, 11:47am
As of last night the total for the David McLaughlin Benefit Fund was $6093.30.

pglasse
Jan-06-2010, 12:39pm
Thanks to my ad in the Mandolin Cafe classifieds, today I was able to pass along a nice contribution to David's fund -- which felt great to do.

Thanks to Scott for the PR on this and to all those who contribute.

Paul Glasse
Austin, Texas
http://paulglasse.com/

GVD
Jan-07-2010, 10:26am
Great news the entire $7,000 has been raised. Thanks to all who have helped to transform David's life.

jim_n_virginia
Jan-07-2010, 1:59pm
In 2006 I saw him in action as an instructor at The Roanoke Bluegrass Weekend where his facility with the mandolin was duly noted by all in attendance.

I was there for that weekend and David was awesome. I did not know about his hearing loss until now. He is a super talented and just an all around nice guys too.

Well I sent in a donation and then I saw Claire's blog where she said as of last night they had reached their goal of $7k and no more is needed to send in and she thanked everyone.

Well at least I tried. Maybe with my money he can buy a few extra batteries! LOL!

jim simpson
Jan-07-2010, 7:10pm
This is great news!

Scotti Adams
Jan-08-2010, 12:34pm
More great news c/o of www.thebluegrassblog.com

David McLaughlin sent along this poignant note in response to this morning’s news that the necessary funds had been raised for him to purchase the new hearing aids that have restored much of his hearing. Multiple kudos to Claire Lynch who spearheaded the effort to make this happen.

Hi, everyone. All of this concern over my hearing loss and the effort to raise the funds for a set of good hearing aids has me very touched in a way that cannot be put into words.

A few weeks ago, I went to my audiologist to have my hearing aid cleaned and adjusted. I say hearing aid (singular) because my right ear has been pretty much useless, being near totally deaf. Hearing aids had been of no help in my right ear so I don’t own an aid for that ear. Most of my hearing is gone in my left ear too, but my left-ear hearing aid helps a little with speech at close range. I still must read lips, though, and most often must ask people to repeat what they are saying and to speak slowly. Speaking louder does not help. The hearing aid I own for my left ear is of no help for hearing music.

While I was at the audiologist, I asked her about some new hearing aids I had been reading about online (Oticon Dual). She said she had a demo pair she would set up for my ears and loan to me. When I first put them on, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing!…couldn’t believe THAT I was hearing, even a little bit of sound in my right ear. Sounds I had not heard in four years were actually scaring the livin’ daylights out of me. It’s hard to explain what hearing little common sounds feels like when you haven’t heard much of anything in four years.

I happily agreed to borrow the demo hearing aids, knowing that I could not afford to buy my own in these times of financial survival. I had no intention of even considering buying them, with so many life expenses and bills each month. But I came home all excited about just being able to borrow the aids for several days. I got out some of my musical instruments, which I had not been able to hear in four years. Now I could hear them! I could once again hear the voices of friends and family. I could hear rain. I could hear wind blowing through the trees. I could hear squeaky door hinges.

So I got on Facebook simply to express my excitement about these cool little electronic things In my ears. I certainly was not asking for help to acquire them, and had no idea that it would be any cause for concern. I just wanted to tell the world about these amazing hearing instruments that actually were allowing me to hear again. Several people quickly responded, on Facebook and privately, by suggesting that there should be a way for me to buy a set for keeps with the help of friends.

When Claire Lynch read my post, she took immediate action and proceeded to legally organize and spearhead a fund raising campaign so that my being able to hear again would be more than a short-lived reality. There are also quite a few other good people who have been proactive in this effort from the day I first posted my praise for these Oticon Dual hearing aids.

Since Claire began her fund raising efforts before Christmas, she has been in contact with me every day. She has devoted all of her Christmas holiday time to this cause. While Claire has been working to legally set up the trust account and spread the word, I had been running around like crazy with this borrowed set, getting reacquainted with old familiar sounds, playing music, and trying to find people who want to play and sing, so that I can hear and enjoy what it sounds like again. It’s very strange, frightening, and beautiful to play and sing and actually hear it.

During the last few weeks, I have received emails and phone calls from so many caring and kind people about my hearing loss, that I will try to answer and make clear exactly what the deal is with my hearing.

I was a longtime career musician, involved with performing, music and audio production. It was my life, but in 2004, I experienced a sudden neural hearing loss in my left ear. Along with this came significant vertigo, with a couple of cases of me collapsing on stage, including one while playing guitar with Junior Brown. I went for repeat visits to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore to Dr. Lloyd Minor for treatment, but with little success. It was only a loss of high and mid frequency, but still devastating, since I had been a recording engineer with perfect hearing in both ears until then. Still, I was able to continue my career with a perfect right ear.

In December of 2005, I woke up one morning totally deaf in my right ear and nearly totally deaf in my left ear, missing ALL mids and highs, only able to hear some very low frequency in my left ear only. And along with that came out-of-control vertigo so severe that I was hospitalized (deaf) with nonstop spinning, violently sick. The severe dizziness has not changed since then. I have just learned how to live with it.I went for many regular visits to JH Hospital, for injections though my eardrums, and after a few treatments, I had regained only the slightest perceivable hearing gain. So since then, my right ear hears only extremely low level, indecipherable low frequency sounds, and only when the sound source is very loud. So my right ear is basically deaf. My left ear hears only low frequency, too, but more sound than my right ear. The mechanics of my eardrums and inner ears are fine, but the signal does not get to my brain, so no implant will work. And the hearing loss still is gradually worsening with each year.

What all this has meant to my career as a musician is that as a recording engineer, it’s like flying an airplane on instruments. I can see if it’s right, but I can’t hear it. So I can track really well and still know how to get great sound going in. I cannot mix, though without good ears by my side. As a performing musician, I cannot hear the fundamental frequencies of what I or anybody else is playing. I can only “feel” a guitar, mandolin, or fiddle. So I play from memory, using my eyes to see where I am on the fingerboard. I can hear bass and can generally feel the pulse of the rhythm in a band, and I use my eyes to watch bandmates moving to keep my place. Playing a violin is all guesswork with my left hand. Singing is also guesswork.

I never have given up playing and singing, and still try to stay involved with music on a professional level to some degree. I have been doing a little engineering, a little session work, occasional stage work, but I just can’t hear it. I still have fun though, being with friends and pleasing the listeners. I am not really able to hear any radio or CDs, but still try to keep up with what’s going on in the music world by reading about it some. I have always kept a good attitude about my loss of hearing, only because we don’t have to look too far to find someone with worse problems than our own. I am a very fortunate that so far, it is only my hearing I’ve lost.

I have lived with severe loss of hearing for exactly four years. But at least I now know there is hope for me to hear again with new cutting-edge hearing aid technology. I also know that many of you have been praying, hoping and helping to find a way for my hearing loss to turn around. New hearing instruments may be the answer for now. I have been fortunate to borrow this demo set of some amazing instruments by Oticon over the holidays, and the improvement is startling. They work…to say the least. I returned the borrowed set on Monday, but while I had them I was on a non-stop jamming rampage

The combination of hearing again, Claire’s efforts, and the help of some good friends who have worked very hard to help me acquire my own Oticon Duals, has put me into a very emotional state. These last four years I had not allowed myself to grieve over my loss of hearing, because there are so many people dealing with problems in this world, that I feel I should only be thankful for my blessings.

I have had mixed feelings about accepting help, but all the people I have talked to about it have told me to take the help, be thankful, and spread the love by always helping others in need. And I just can’t get over how Claire and others have been wanting and willing to devote their time to this cause for me. So, I accept the love.

I say to all of you, and to those who have been contributing…Thank you for your help, with all my heart. My love and appreciation to all of you!

David W McLaughlin
Jan-08-2010, 1:45pm
Hi, everybody!

So sorry I've been so out of touch here on the Cafe. I guess you could say I've been out of touch just about everywhere for a while. I can't thank you all enough for your kind words and concern over my hearing loss. You all are just too nice! This is all just so emotional for me right now.

OK, so who wants to jam? I'm ready!

Scotti Adams
Jan-09-2010, 8:36am
Hi, everybody!

So sorry I've been so out of touch here on the Cafe. I guess you could say I've been out of touch just about everywhere for a while. I can't thank you all enough for your kind words and concern over my hearing loss. You all are just too nice! This is all just so emotional for me right now.

OK, so who wants to jam? I'm ready!

Welcome back David and Im glad things turned out so well. Count me in for your jam.

David W McLaughlin
Jan-13-2010, 10:01pm
Hi, friends.

Just Want to let you know that my very own brand new hearing devises are in my ears right now. I can hardly believe it. It's going to take time for me to get used to hearing sounds I have not heard in years. One thing I notice is that when anybody talks it sounds like they're shouting, but they're not. It's just that I haven't heard natural voices in a long time. When I play my mandolin, I can hear it now. I had forgotten how good that old thing sounds. I guess this year will be very different. Thank you all for helping me hear again!

Ron Hale
Jan-13-2010, 10:45pm
I'm so happy for you David. Now... Pick that thing, Son!

Ronnie

jim_n_virginia
Jan-14-2010, 1:19am
When I play my mandolin, I can hear it now. I had forgotten how good that old thing sounds. I guess this year will be very different. Thank you all for helping me hear again!

Wow David you must be on cloud nine now that you can hear your mandolin again! I just cannot even imagine what it would be like to go years without hearing and then all of a sudden you can hear again!

I jammed with you at the Holiday Inn in Roanoke with Herschel and David Grier and I could barely keep up back then! LOL! I am happy to report I am a little better now and hope to jam with you again one day!

Maybe you can start giving workshops again??? I hope so I enjoyed your workshop at the Roanoke Bluegrass Weekend immensely.

Happy picking! :mandosmiley:

Bluman
Jan-14-2010, 12:41pm
This story is not only a great one for David but also provides an example to the rest of us who love music and love to make music what a privilege and blessing we to often take for granted.

jdogric12
Jul-01-2010, 9:13am
This story is not only a great one for David but also provides an example to the rest of us who love music and love to make music what a privilege and blessing we to often take for granted.

David is a friend of mine. I stayed at the inn a few weeks ago with my girlfriend and we went to an oldtime jam with David. It was a real treat to enjoy playing music with my friend again, that's really super what everybody did for him. I live down in Florida so we don't get to hang out too much. One day maybe he'll play mandolin as good as me!!! ha ha ha just kidding OF COURSE!!!! :) -Jason