PDA

View Full Version : Luigi Ricca Mandolin

TBone381
Dec-29-2009, 12:19pm
I just received a Luigi Ricca mandolin that was my great grandfathers when he was a child. It is in pretty good condition considering its age. Just needs a little TLC and maybe some refinishing and new strings. All the wood and ornate pieces are intact. I tried researching Ricca mandolins on the internet but found very little information. My question is how much is it worth? Is it worth me having a lutherie restore it? It does have an intact manufacturer sticker inside with L. Ricca, NY, NY. and Serial #7177. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-29-2009, 12:34pm
Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=ricca&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=0&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) is a list of all message threads that discuss these in one way or the other. One of them includes a link to download a copy of a catalog. Unfortunatley most of these early American bowlback mandolins aren't worth a whole lot. Post a picture an you'll have a better chance of getting a true estimate of the value. Without seeing it I'd tell you that very few of these are sold for more than a few hundred dollars at best. Much less depending on the condition.

TBone381
Dec-29-2009, 12:52pm
Thanx for your quick reply and information.