PDA

View Full Version : The campfire is dead (for now)

terry0192
Dec-29-2009, 12:18pm
I just got off the phone with Stew Mac and I dont know if I'm late in the game and evey one knows already. But the campfire mandolin is no longer carried by them. I have just gotten to where I could build one and Im to late. I could build from a plans set but a kit would have gone quicker. Now I have to look for a set of plans any one got a line on a set ? Hope some one will help.
Terry

CES
Dec-29-2009, 12:30pm
I have a couple of sets of A-style flattop plans somewhere (since our latest move I haven't been able to locate them), but my wife got them for me as a gift from Elderly. I know one set was for a bent top but think one was for a pancake as well...check their website. You may also have some luck asking Stew Mac if they have plans for purchase (they should be inexpensive, as in just a few dollars with minimal shipping cost as they come in basically a manilla envelope). Roger Siminoff's site would also be a good resource, as may Luthier's Mercantile (LMI).

Good luck, and sorry I'm not more help, but I'm not at home to look for my sets now...

EDIT: found this link through google, and also check redlineresophonics.com:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56181

JEStanek
Dec-29-2009, 12:37pm
Steve Smith of Cumberland Accoustics/Redline Resonator-Mandolins had made some kits earlier this year. You could follow up with him to see if he has or will make any more.

Jamie

MikeEdgerton
Dec-29-2009, 12:38pm
It's been gone for a while. You might want to contact Steve at Cumberland Acoustic. I see he still has his mandolin kits online here (http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/id3.html).

toddjoles
Dec-29-2009, 1:14pm
Hi Terry, I'm in La Mesa. I've done a campfire kit and still have the plans that came with it. I've been thinking of building a couple from these plans. After building from scratch, I realized it's not any harder than building from a kit, it just takes more time. If you're up to it, maybe we could work it out so we're each building our own mando but building them together. Send me a PM if you're interested.

terry0192
Dec-29-2009, 2:26pm
Thanks for all the help guys. I spoke with Stew Mac again and they say they may think about putting up plans or kits in a month or so.(not holding my breath) I also spoke with Steve at Cumberland Music. ( FANTASTIC PEOPLE)
He talked with me for 30 min or more answered all the questions I had and then some. I got to try a redline travler at Buffalo Bros. the other day.
What sound and sustain. This is what got me going on this. I think I'm going to build from one of his kits or with Tod I'm low in the dollar's after Christmas and all. I think people need to talk up these mandolins as they are great sounding and the people who make them need supporting. I really want to thank you guys for the help. I'm more inspired to go play now than ever. I'm just learning now and I may need a teacher soon. but thats for another post.
Thanks folks this forum is the greatest.

thistle3585
Dec-29-2009, 2:56pm
You know what would be neat is to do an online group building project. One thread where everyone can share photos, tips, etc. on building a pancake style mandolin. The kits are pretty easy and quick to put together, so a scratch built one would go pretty quick. Anyone interested?

Kent Martin
Dec-30-2009, 7:40pm
Graham McDonald's new book, "The Mandolin Project", includes plans for 4 different mandolins -- one of them a flat top, another a bent top. The details may not be as obvious to work out as the instructions found in a kit.

Bill Snyder
Dec-30-2009, 9:05pm
Never mind. BTW I was not the one offering something for sale.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-30-2009, 9:30pm
I have a detailed set of 1:1 scale CAD plans I developed for a flat top mando based on the Stewart Mac and Redline Traveler dimensions.
If you are interested I can sell you a PDF for....

Items offered for sale belong either in a PM or in the classifieds.

fishtownmike
Jan-09-2010, 1:08am
Campfire kit from Cumberland acoustic on ebay. This is not mine. just posting since some seem interested in them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Flat-Mandolin-Kit-Army-Navy-Pancake-Campfire_W0QQitemZ290388713507QQcmdZViewItemQQptZG uitar_Accessories?hash=item439c842023

Jim Baker
Jan-10-2010, 9:18am
That looks like it could be a better kit than the Stew-Mac kit. Includes truss rod, binding, neck mortise, tail piec, tuners. If I had one complaint with the Stew-Mac kit, it was that there was no neck joint mortise. It's tricky to set up the neck without it.

Steevarino
Jan-11-2010, 8:15pm
Hi All --

We have been having a good time making our version of a flat mandolin kit for those that might be interested in such a thing. As mentioned above, you can find it on our website, plus we have recently revived our eBay store, and it is listed there, as well.

I initially offered this kit as a result of the apparent demand for it from folks here on the Cafe. I put the kit up for sale here in the Cafe Classifieds, and sold enough of them to go ahead and make it a regular product that we offer. Of course, I can't sell it here now, because it is also listed on eBay, and that, for some reason, is not O.K.

BTW, this kit is pretty much identical to our RedLine Traveler mandolins. In fact, we pull parts for the kits from the same stacks of parts that we build our own mandolins from.

Bill Snyder
Jan-12-2010, 8:36am
Steve, I would check with Scott about listing it on the classifieds and ebay. If the listing is not for THE SAME KIT (as in you have multiple kits to sell) I suspect it is OK.

Jim MacDaniel
Jan-13-2010, 3:20pm
...I think people need to talk up these mandolins as they are great sounding and the people who make them need supporting.

I'm glad it sounds like you are going with one of Steve's kits. You might want to post your pics, etc., of the finished product over in this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45261), which has been going on for a while regarding Steve's wonderful Traveler model, as I'm sure those who are following that thread would love to hear about your experience.