PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Tuner and Schertler Dyn balanced out

Rob Gerety
Dec-28-2009, 12:58pm
Is there a pedal tuner/mute switch that will work with the balanced output of the Schertler Dyn pick ups?

mandroid
Dec-28-2009, 1:28pm
I swapped one Mic cable's end with a Nutrik switched Mic cable end.

It has a Ring switch in it, made for switch-less microphones ,

but it does a fine job with the Schertler Dyn M pickup signal too .

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-080

Rob Gerety
Dec-28-2009, 1:43pm
Is it difficult to replace an end connector like that on an XLR cable? I've never done it - but I usually do things like this myself.

Also, is there a pedal tuner that will work with the XLR output of the Schertler?

mandroid
Dec-28-2009, 3:02pm
I had no trouble, desoldering one plug and replacing the other , a simple soldering task..
Nutrik's strain relief is a Chuck like screw clamp , and works well .

Not too much more effort: a metal project box , and 2 panel mount XLR jacks and a switch to stomp on ..
just have to open and close the + wire signal, the other 2 would connect in and out jacks.

solder up a couple XLR to TRS 1/4" cables , and you could use 2 TRS jacks for the in and out.
or buy 2 adapters .. 1/4" panel mount stereo jacks , smaller holes to drill in the project box.

perhaps you can take a pedal tuner and replace the jacks from TR to TRS, same Idea .
a pass thru for return and ground .. splitting them up rather than combining them .. as they ship.

I believe they all will be for TR instrument cables , as guitar playing customers predominate the marketplace..

a piezoelectric stick on, just for running the tuner is another Idea..

:popcorn:

Tbone
Dec-29-2009, 1:36pm
I heard if your mixer has an insert jack, you can run out of the insert, to the tuner, back to the insert, and it should mute your signal when the pedal is compressed.

I've never tried it, but might swing by guitar center to give it a shot at some point.

Rob Gerety
Dec-29-2009, 3:26pm
Seems like the mixer insert jack would affect ALL instruments running through the mixer, not just mine.

foldedpath
Dec-29-2009, 5:03pm
Seems like the mixer insert jack would affect ALL instruments running through the mixer, not just mine.

Mixers above a certain level will usually have insert jacks on each channel, in addition to whatever inserts are on the main buss. Tapping the signal out of the channel insert (and back in from the tuner) will only affect that one channel. You can do something similar if you're using an acoustic amp instead of a PA, and the amp has an FX send/return loop.

mandroid
Dec-29-2009, 5:09pm
Perhaps so, depends on mixer design, I see a send level in each channel , but efx return is combined ,
on my simple 4 stereo channel Nady MM4. :redface:

send and return cables would be pretty long to go from mixer, to tuner and back to mixer.

FWIW, [looked at my manual] Roland AC 60 amp splits a tuner out right after the input,
so bypasses all the gain and tone controls. taps but not loops, no tuner return to mute the signal .

there is a separate jack for a mute pedal, .. or reach for the button on the control panel.

wonder: R+S Could be shorted together for plugging into a guitar pedal tuners TR jack,
and then separated again by running out to a DI to re separate cold and ground for the rest of the cable run
( which I'd guess was the longer one of the 2)

Noisy path.. maybe.. :confused:

foldedpath
Dec-29-2009, 8:10pm
Perhaps so, depends on mixer design, I see a send level in each channel , but efx return is combined ,
on my simple 4 stereo channel Nady MM4. :redface:

That's why I said mixers "above a certain level." :) Channel inserts are a standard feature even on fairly basic mixers. Just not that basic. :grin:

send and return cables would be pretty long to go from mixer, to tuner and back to mixer.

It would depend on the setup. In this thread, I'm assuming someone running their own sound from the stage. The distance to and from the mixer would be short, and you could use a single cable (1/4" TRS on the mixer end, with a "Y" split to two 1/4" TS plugs at the tuner end for input and output). It wouldn't be practical for a big stage with the mixer out in the middle of the house, unless you could tap into a send/return on the stage snake. And even then, tuner pedals aren't meant to drive signals over that kind of distance so it probably wouldn't work well.

Edit: On second thought... In the last scenario you could take the tuner output into an active DI box, and then into the stage snake and it should work. Too much circuits inline for my taste though, and you'd need a cooperative sound person running the mix. This idea is really more for us combat audio types, running small PA's and mixing from the stage.

mandroid
Dec-29-2009, 9:44pm
may be simpler to stick on a piezo transducer to run the stomp tuner after all..

a quick shopping trip , I think the ones with a built in cord and plug are $40., that cord should reach the floor.
Like this one : http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/names/dean-markley-artist-transducer-pickup--DMAT.htm

Rob Gerety
Dec-30-2009, 9:14am
This is starting to sound a bit complex to me. Might be easier just to change pick ups.

Perry
Dec-30-2009, 10:22am
You could use this and a clip on tuner

http://www.procosound.com/downloads/datasheets/Old%20Version%20of%20Cough%20Drop.pdf

I have an internally mounted Schertler in my Mix A5 and it has made things so much easier then the stick on Schertler. The internal Schertler is 1/4"

mandroid
Dec-30-2009, 1:11pm
You wanted a stomp tuner, from a balanced output, maintaining that throughout , and there lies the conflict ..stomp tuners are made for TR cables.
why not just use a headstock clip tuner?, That's what most acoustic players, I know, do.

the mute by the switched XLR, would be nearby .. I stuff combined plugs in a pocket.

Rob Gerety
Dec-30-2009, 1:23pm
and there lies the conflict ..stomp tuners are made for TR cables.

why not just use a headstock clip tuner?, That's what most acoustic players, I know, do.

the mute by the switched XLR, would be nearby .. I stuff combined plugs in a pocket.

Yup. Good advice. Wish I could buy a switched XLR cable - I'm not confident in my soldering abilities and I want it to be reliable.

Jim Nollman
Dec-30-2009, 1:25pm
I use a Schertler stuck on my mandolin, often running into a Fishman Loudbox amp. The amp has a very handy mute switch, which i use whenever tuning during a performance. The Fishman also has an effects loop which makes it easy to plug in a tuner and let it sit right on top of the amp.

I prefer to tune with an intelli tuner clipped right on to the headpiece. Never had any problem with it. Oh wait, about two months ago, a woman walked up to me right in the middle of a song, and actually started leaning way over my mandolin while i was soloing. Then, she actually tried to declip the tuner, before finally asking me what the little device was. It destroyed my concentration. That only happened once in many years of playing. What planet do these people come from?

I do use the effects loop, but almost exclusively for a volume pedal to add some punch during leads. And of course, the same volume pedal also works perfectly as a mute switch.

If you cut the XLR wires, you will void your warranty. The Schertler is a costly item, and I can't imagine a voided warranty being worth the kind of surgery being proposed here. Even if you happen to know what you are doing. And it doesn't sound like you are confident about rewiring the connector.

Hope this helps.

mandroid
Dec-30-2009, 1:35pm
Clarification : Never proposed doing anything to the pickup. :disbelief:

Seems like you misunderstood my linked part reference in #2, Jim. :confused:

The Plug change is the Microphone cable's end, that the pickup would plug into.

the actual pickup is unchanged. ;)

Pay someone to do the soldering for you then, Rob, the mechanics of the part itself is reliable.

Soldering is a really useful skill for folks that depend on electric gear.

Douglas McMullin
Dec-30-2009, 2:34pm
Would the foot pedal version of the TurboTuner work?

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/index.htm

mandroid
Dec-30-2009, 2:47pm
I looked at the Manual online, it says 1/4", but doesn't say if its a TRS or a TR Jack,
most are TR, one could ask , the above site has a 'contact' link..

.. if made there, [rather than 'over there'] maybe a special order wiring change?

foldedpath
Dec-30-2009, 3:58pm
Rob, the simplest thing to try, and it will only cost a few bucks, is to purchase a 6 or 10 foot cable with an XLR connector on one end, and a TS (tip sleeve) 1/4" plug on the other end for the tuner pedal. It's easy to make yourself, but if you're not comfortable with that, cables like this are available from the usual sources online or (maybe) at the local Guitar Center.

This will defeat the balanced part of the signal out from the pickup, but balancing is for long cable runs to reject induced hum. You're only going a short distance to a tuner pedal. It shouldn't damage the pickup or the tuner to try this (as far as I know). The only issue will be whether the pickup has enough output voltage to trigger the tuner's electronics. I've heard that the Schertler is a fairly hot pickup so it might work.

Then if you do need to re-balance the line for a long cable run to a mixer, you can add a DI box at the output of the tuner pedal. Or the tuner's output alone might be enough. Anyway, the adapter cable idea is a cheap fix, if it works.

Perry
Dec-30-2009, 5:23pm
Rob G.:

what part of this:

http://www.procosound.com/downloads/datasheets/Old%20Version%20of%20Cough%20Drop.pdf

and a clip-on tuner won't solve your problem?

mandroid
Dec-31-2009, 4:02pm
NB 'cough drop' is discontinued , now there's these: http://www.procosound.com/products/catalog/show/51

this one is $80 http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pro-Co-Sign-Off-Latching-Mic-Mute-Switch?sku=151522

this one $132.50 http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pro-Co-Power-Mute-Mic-Mute-Switch?sku=151523

Rob Gerety
Dec-31-2009, 4:19pm
I like that mic switch option. Thanks guys.