PDA

View Full Version : Do we lose our posts that predated the change to our real names?

Bob Borzelleri
Dec-28-2009, 12:36pm
I noticed that my current post count is somewhere around 250 or so. But, if I do a search on my real name, I only see 128 posts. Since I joined up 6 years ago and was pretty active for a few years, I'm thinking that some of my posts are lost or at least disconnected from my user ID(s).

Any thoughts?

MikeEdgerton
Dec-28-2009, 12:55pm
You don't lose anything when you change your name. By chance did you have another account at one time?

Bob Borzelleri
Dec-28-2009, 3:40pm
You don't lose anything when you change your name. By chance did you have another account at one time?

Nope. Started out with bborzell and then changed it to my real name. There ws a nearly 2 year period when I strayed over to resonator guitars and didn't play much mandolin. When I came back some months back, I couldn't find many of my original posts.

I'll poke around a bit more and try to find them. Thanks.

bennyb
Dec-28-2009, 3:57pm
Howdy Bob,
Just stating the *obvious* here: click on your name, click on *find more posts*, go to *last page*. Your first comment appears to be from Dec2003. You probably did that already.

benny

edit: I'm talkin' circumventing the search function.

Bob Borzelleri
Dec-28-2009, 5:05pm
Howdy Bob,
Just stating the *obvious* here: click on your name, click on *find more posts*, go to *last page*. Your first comment appears to be from Dec2003. You probably did that already.

benny

edit: I'm talkin' circumventing the search function.

Hey Benny...

Good find. It appears that the search thing goes back to Feb 2004 for me and 129 posts while clicking on my name goes back to December 2003 and 178 posts.

I wonder what happened to those three months in the eyes of the search engine?

MikeEdgerton
Dec-28-2009, 5:20pm
Scott will have an explanation. He's out of town right now.

Scott Tichenor
Dec-28-2009, 5:32pm
I noticed that my current post count is somewhere around 250 or so. But, if I do a search on my real name, I only see 128 posts. Since I joined up 6 years ago and was pretty active for a few years, I'm thinking that some of my posts are lost or at least disconnected from my user ID(s).

Any thoughts?

Bob, not sure where you're seeing the 250 posts because your account is reflecting 179 right on your profile for everyone to see, and that agrees with what I have in the administrative area for you. And Mike is correct, changing names has no impact on your post count or really anything else. I do from time to time, however, combine user accounts when it's clear that an individual has two or more accounts, and many have because instead of properly retrieving the password they simply re-register (not necessary). In that case, combining the accounts updates the user account by adding all posts together (increasing).

Bob Borzelleri
Dec-28-2009, 7:08pm
Bob, not sure where you're seeing the 250 posts because your account is reflecting 179 right on your profile for everyone to see, and that agrees with what I have in the administrative area for you. And Mike is correct, changing names has no impact on your post count or really anything else. I do from time to time, however, combine user accounts when it's clear that an individual has two or more accounts, and many have because instead of properly retrieving the password they simply re-register (not necessary). In that case, combining the accounts updates the user account by adding all posts together (increasing).
Scott...

I was wrong about the 250. That was a bad guess and I was already into the post so I didn't take the time to back out and see the actual total. Sorry about that.

It is 179 (soon to be 180 when I post my impression of my new JBovier Electric Mando) when I click on my profile, but what's odd is that a search of my posts for my User Name (using the search function) came up with 129 posts and seemed to have overlooked the period between 12/03 and 02/04 where, I would assume, the 50 posts occurred. Not a big deal, just got me to wondering about how the discrepancy might have happened.

...Bob

Scott Tichenor
Jan-03-2010, 9:20am
You're interpreting the number of threads you've posted in as equaling the total number of posts you've made. The two are not the same. When you post multiple times in a thread it only counts that thread in the search once. All of your 184 posts (as of this moment) are present, and have not been missing at any point. Really. :)