PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fibre Rods Vs Adjustable

Wudwerkr
Dec-27-2009, 7:57pm
Im curious about Carbon Fibre Vs Adjustable Rods . Whats the Main Reasons to use one over the other in ANY given situation?

Is Carbon Fibre simply a " Non Adjustable" alternative to Stiffen the neck agains warpage ?

Is Carbon Fibre a " Less Quality " Alternitive ?

Are The " Hot Rods" dual action The best choice ?

What do the Pros Think?

And if Adjustable is the best way to go , why are carbon fibre rods even a choice ?

Enquiring Minds Wanna Know ??

:confused:

Big Joe
Dec-27-2009, 8:04pm
Each has its place depending upon what you want. Carbon fibre rods properly done are very stiff and should hold a neck straight and should not be a problem under certain circumstances. The only drawback to me, and the reason I would not like them without a truss rod is that they are not adjustable with any reasonable means. In other words, whatever level of relief is built in is all you can get. You cannot remove it without removing frets and planing the fingerboard. Rarely is it ever too little, but often it is more than I would like.

Truss rods give the option of making individual adjustments for relief. I prefer the option. I like very little relief in my fingerboard. I also like the idea it can be adjusted for different changes in termperature or humidity.

I don't think it really matters if you use single action or double action truss rods. I like single better because they take a bit less room in the truss rod slot allowing a bit more wood. However, all three systems work very well. I would be tempted to use a truss rod with carbon fibre rods in the neck as well. That gives excellent strength and ridigity while still allowing some adjustability. Just my personal preference.

Michael Lewis
Dec-28-2009, 12:28am
There are several threads on this very subject. Use the search feature.~o)

Mario Proulx
Dec-28-2009, 1:15am
Michael's too polite at times <lol>

Wudwerkr
Dec-28-2009, 8:54am
thank u , i will do so . And Politness is the way to go i do believe

Lefty Luthier
Dec-28-2009, 10:34am
I use both a CF stiffener and single action truss rods. Both work fine in keeping the neck straight but I prefer the CF primarily since it frees up a great amount of peghead space that can be used for more elaborate decoration.

Wudwerkr
Dec-28-2009, 11:06am
I checked the search feature and found very little actually . May not have done it right ? However thank you to those who are willing to repeat themselves . :mandosmiley:

Phil Goodson
Dec-28-2009, 12:48pm
Try this link. (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2106693)

And even better: THIS (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49158&highlight=carbon)

Wudwerkr
Dec-28-2009, 1:32pm
Thank You !:grin: