PDA

View Full Version : My New Mando

Eric Taylor
Dec-18-2009, 10:05am
Well guys, I don't have a nice vintage Gibson to show off, but I like it anyway. This is my first mando, although I have "borrowed" a friend's Fender A-5 off and on for the last couple of years. I was classically trained in violin, and have been playing for about 15 years. The past training plus a degree in music composition are DEFINITELY helping me out with learning. I have always loved bluegrass, and I even played "Cajun Cookin'" at one of my past violin recitals immediately following a Beethoven concerto. I snatched up this MK Legacy Deluxe, brand new with the case for $550. I really like the aged walnut finish w/ the detailing on the scroll (which is apparently hard to find) and the antiqued tailpiece. It has a solid spruce top, solid carved maple back and sides, and a radiused ebony fingerboard and bridge. It sings pretty loud when you want it to, and it's surprisingly articulate when playing at a pianissimo level. It's sitting on my "pickin' chair"- came out of the St. Joseph, MO post office around 1900. The guitar in the pic is my Martin DX1, which I love to death. I have terrible lighting in my house, so the mando appears MUCH more reddish in color than it actually is- it's actually a medium-to-light brown color, getting darker toward the binding. Now that finals are over, I have until next semester to get some good playing time in. Gotta learn some carols in time for Christmas, and after that it's on to Shady Grove (the whole album, not just the song). Anyway, maybe if I get real good sometime down the line I'll invest in a better mando, but until then I think this one will suit me just fine. I'm anxious to hear what everyone thinks!! (And yes, that's a Lakota strap- tobacco/black- soooooo soft)

Eric

Patrick Hull
Dec-18-2009, 10:39am
Nice looking mandolin. Congratulations and enjoy yourself.

ColdBeerGoCubs
Dec-18-2009, 1:00pm
Very cool, I do love the finish/look of that mando.

Denny Gies
Dec-18-2009, 1:04pm
Way to go Eric, hope you have many years of fun and frustration pickin'.

megamafro
Dec-18-2009, 3:43pm
I have 2 Michael Kelly mandolins, and I really like them both. And as with all these instruments, they ound better the more you play them.

Have fun with it mate :)

Mike Decker
Dec-18-2009, 5:06pm
Best of luck with your new mando. Nothing like a new friend

Chuck Naill
Dec-18-2009, 7:25pm
Nice amber color finish Eric. Beautiful mandolin. Congrats.

Ron Hale
Dec-18-2009, 9:05pm
Looks nice, Eric. That MK should give you many years of enjoyable pickin'. Now quit taking pictures and fire that rascal up! Hook it, Son!

nyetknish
Dec-30-2009, 10:37am
I also have a Michael Kelly, a Legacy Dragonfly Flame E, and love it. I think you will be very happy with yours, enjoy!