PDA

View Full Version : Weber Vintage/Old Wave

mandolirius
Dec-18-2009, 12:50am
It's time to start looking around for an oval-hole mandolin. I did test-drive the Weber for a few days a couple of years ago and liked it very much. But I've also heard wonderful things about Old Waves. Guess I'm looking for some opinions from folks who've played either/or. Thanks in advance.

Rob Gerety
Dec-18-2009, 1:01am
I had a Weber Vintage A in my home for a few days recently on approval. I thought it was a fabulous mandolin. Terrific fit and finish. Resonate and loud. Great oval hole.

Jim Nollman
Dec-18-2009, 1:25am
check out the BRW 3 point oval hole, the sweetest sounding mandolin I've ever owned.

BlueMt.
Dec-18-2009, 1:25am
I like Weber mandolins and I own a Weber Fern but I haven't played a Vintage A oval. I do have an Old Wave oval and it is really impressive. My A oval MAS is in permanent remission.

pjlama
Dec-18-2009, 1:29am
Honestly, the Weber will give you a nice clean fit and finish, proper tone.. but the OW has character and vibe. Do you like it straight or with a little stink on it?

John Flynn
Dec-18-2009, 4:15am
I have not played a Weber Vintage A, but I have heard good things about them. They are a lot more money than an Old Wave A and they are a "modern" oval, meaning a raised fretboard and longer neck. The Old Wave has a more traditional oval configuration, although both instruments are cross-braced.

I have a spruce/maple OW oval A and I like it lots better than any of the Weber ovals I have played. I also had a cedar/mesquite OW oval A for a while and I wish I had kept it also. It wasn't as loud as the one I have, but it had one of the sweetest tones I've heard on an oval.

Randy Smith
Dec-18-2009, 8:32am
[QUOTE=John Flynn;745396]. . .they are a "modern" oval, meaning a raised fretboard and longer neck. The Old Wave has a more traditional oval configuration, although both instruments are cross-braced.

John's point is good to consider. Even though both mandolins have the same bracing (which is a diffferent type than the old Gibsons use), the Weber has a neck like an F-5. To what extent the Weber is actually "vintage" is something to talk about; however, I've heard people say very good things about its sound and don't question its quality. Old Waves also get very high marks.

Interesting to hear Webers discussed on the Cafe. It's been awhile!

John, just curious: did you post your mesquite OW on the Cafe? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's pretty.

LKN2MYIS
Dec-18-2009, 3:40pm
check out the BRW 3 point oval hole, the sweetest sounding mandolin I've ever owned.

I agree. Second to none in fit, finish, tone, and playability.

But then again, I own one!

kirksdad
Dec-18-2009, 5:23pm
Weber's vintage A of vintage F for that matter are amongst their strongest models. I played an outstanding one this past week for sale in Northern Virginia.

I have only ever played a F style OW several years old, which was flat out awesome.

jblanchard
Dec-18-2009, 6:16pm
I can't comment on the Webers, but I have an Old Wave oval A that I am extremely pleased with. I wanted one that had a woody, mellow sound similar to my 1921 Gibson A4, and Bill came through in spades for me. No issues, it sounds great, and I couldn't be happier.

Orrin Star
Dec-18-2009, 6:21pm
Honestly, the Weber will give you a nice clean fit and finish, proper tone.. but the OW has character and vibe. Do you like it straight or with a little stink on it?

Beautifully put—and thanks for a good laugh.

Orrin
OW Oval Mandola Owner

Brad Weiss
Dec-18-2009, 7:04pm
Ok, I have to say it - there are loads of Gibson A's out there to be had at a reasonable price. If playability is your concern, go with a modern master (I've only heard great things about Mr Bussman's work, and almost pulled the trigger more than once on an Old Wave). But it's not hard to find and then tweak as needed an old Gibby. I love my A4!

man dough nollij
Dec-18-2009, 7:17pm
I also had a cedar/mesquite OW oval A for a while and I wish I had kept it also. It wasn't as loud as the one I have, but it had one of the sweetest tones I've heard on an oval.

That's exactly the combination I ordered-- a paddlehead with ironwood peghead veneer and fingerboard. Paua inlay. I think Bill is done with it now, but I'm finding myself geographically unavailable (again...). Tell me more about that one, John. Bill talked about it a little here on the Cafe, and called the tone "crystalline". Not sure what that means. I can't wait to get it! :mandosmiley:

John Flynn
Dec-18-2009, 8:02pm
[QUOTE=John Flynn;745396].John, just curious: did you post your mesquite OW on the Cafe? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's pretty.
I did post pictures of it at one time. It was not actually mine. Bill donated it a charity auction for his high school, which was only a couple of miles where I was living at the time. The instrument was in my care for about 3 months and I helped promote it for the auction.

Here is a link to the thread, complete with pictures.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26954&highlight=mesquite

Randy Smith
Dec-20-2009, 11:29am
[QUOTE=Randy Smith;745441]
I did post pictures of it at one time. It was not actually mine. Bill donated it a charity auction for his high school, which was only a couple of miles where I was living at the time. The instrument was in my care for about 3 months and I helped promote it for the auction.

Here is a link to the thread, complete with pictures.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26954&highlight=mesquite
John, That's not the one I was remembering, but thanks for posting that--it's another nice-looking OW. I like the back.

Rob Gerety
Dec-20-2009, 6:30pm
Ok, I have to say it - there are loads of Gibson A's out there to be had at a reasonable price. If playability is your concern, go with a modern master (I've only heard great things about Mr Bussman's work, and almost pulled the trigger more than once on an Old Wave). But it's not hard to find and then tweak as needed an old Gibby. I love my A4!

Ditto. I love my A4 too! I must say I have not found any negative playability issues whatsoever. Fits me like a glove, plays like butter. Sweet tone and plenty of power for my purposes.

mandolirius
Dec-24-2009, 3:55pm
Well, the deed is done. I went ahead and bought the Vintage Old Wave recently advertised here. I did it for two reasons, one it is a known quantity. I had one to check out a couple of years ago and loved it. Plus it was for sale at a good price so if I decide to go a different way in the future, I'm pretty sure I'll get my cost back if I sell it.

I was very tempted to go the Old Wave route. I haven't played one but have heard nothing but good reports. However, the Weber was available right now and that made a difference. I looked around at OW pics and decided if I did get one, I'd like to order a custom build and I may do that in the future.

PhilGE
Dec-24-2009, 5:27pm
A bit late to the party:

Photos of my OW (http://homepage.mac.com/philg2/OldWaveA/PhotoAlbum15.html)

My version of John Brown's March recorded on the OW - recorded a few years ago when I had time to practice (http://homepage.mac.com/philg2/.Music/JBMOW.mp3).

Mike Bunting
Dec-24-2009, 9:07pm
Well, the deed is done. I went ahead and bought the Vintage Old Wave recently advertised here. I did it for two reasons, one it is a known quantity. I had one to check out a couple of years ago and loved it. Plus it was for sale at a good price so if I decide to go a different way in the future, I'm pretty sure I'll get my cost back if I sell it.

I was very tempted to go the Old Wave route. I haven't played one but have heard nothing but good reports. However, the Weber was available right now and that made a difference. I looked around at OW pics and decided if I did get one, I'd like to order a custom build and I may do that in the future.

Congratulations! Two in one year, good times!.

Woody Turner
Dec-24-2009, 10:04pm
"I went ahead and bought the Vintage Old Wave..."

"However, the Weber was available right now and that made a difference. I looked around at OW pics and decided if I did get one, I'd like to order a custom build and I may do that in the future."

????

mandolirius
Dec-26-2009, 5:14am
"I went ahead and bought the Vintage Old Wave..."

"However, the Weber was available right now and that made a difference. I looked around at OW pics and decided if I did get one, I'd like to order a custom build and I may do that in the future."

????

Sorry, too many mandolins on the brain. I meant Vintage Old Wood. The Old Wave is now on my want list for the future. :redface:

Randy Smith
Dec-26-2009, 3:03pm

Congrats on the Weber! Just in time for the holidays. Hope you enjoy it--the ones I've played have been nice sounding mandolins. Maybe an OW is still a possibility.

mandolirius
Dec-26-2009, 3:43pm
Congrats on the Weber! Just in time for the holidays. Hope you enjoy it--the ones I've played have been nice sounding mandolins. Maybe an OW is still a possibility.

It definitely is. I'll see how I like the Weber for oldtime music. But the next step is to get a pickup for it.

I have used the McIntyre Feather in the past on a couple of different mandolins and thought it was pretty good, especially run through a decent preamp. I'm also thinking about the K & K.

Anyone have any thoughts on these two? They're about the same price.

Mike Bunting
Dec-26-2009, 3:53pm
I have a K & K on my A Jr. and am very satisfied, actually I'm quite impressed with the uncoloured and true tonal reproduction through an AER acoustic amp.

Rob Gerety
Dec-28-2009, 4:43pm
I like the Shertler Dyn.

Rob Powell
Dec-29-2009, 5:01am
Weber's vintage A of vintage F for that matter are amongst their strongest models. I played an outstanding one this past week for sale in Northern Virginia.

I have only ever played a F style OW several years old, which was flat out awesome.

Hey KD, was that an F or an A? Was it at Melodee in Leesburg?

kirksdad
Dec-29-2009, 8:34am
Yep...It was Melodee. Looks like the folks have several models at discount there. They have a Bitterroot with a red spruce top for right at $2000....which is a steal for a new instrument