PDA

View Full Version : The Waiting Game

SchlazzGraft
Dec-17-2009, 4:09pm
Well, my new (and first) KM-805 mando showed up today about 3 hours ago, now I'm just waiting for it to warm up in its case after being out in the 20 degree UPS truck all day. The wait is killing me! Its sitting next to me but I can't even look! :crying:

Pictures to come soon! :mandosmiley:

KristinEliza
Dec-17-2009, 4:13pm
ooo...nothing like anticipation!!!!

:mandosmiley:

mandroid
Dec-17-2009, 4:35pm
Anyone ever put their unopened case under the blanket with them at night

to warm it up before opening it the next day? ;)

Oh and since you posted this where you did , a picture is absolutely compulsory ! :grin:

:popcorn:

SchlazzGraft
Dec-17-2009, 4:42pm
dahaha i think i gotta get to know her a little better first, if you know what i mean... but you never know :whistling:

ps: going from 20 degrees to a 70 degree house, how long should I wait to open? Is overnight necessary?

crazymandolinist
Dec-17-2009, 5:54pm
Turn on yer A/C man!

Rick Schmidlin
Dec-17-2009, 5:58pm
the agony of it all:crying::crying::crying::mandosmiley:

joshua collum
Dec-17-2009, 7:59pm
It's recomended that you wait 48-72 hours.. ;~) I am joking of course. I think if it were me, I would wait til the box is room temp. then open it. Then wait til the case is room temp. I would think it would be safe at that point.. I sure someone here will have a professional opinion though. Enjoy your new mandolin....

JEStanek
Dec-17-2009, 8:11pm
I've used Joshua's advice on the timing just fine. When I shipped an instrument to Weber to work on (they did fabulous work too) they would hold it for 24 hours before opening just to be safe.

Jamie

SchlazzGraft
Dec-17-2009, 11:10pm
I ended up doing just what the two above me said, and it worked out great! no explosive finish cracking like in that other thread i saw... i was pretty worried!

She's a beast though, maybe i'll get some sound clips posted once I can actually play something decently ;) It has an upgraded steve smith bridge, and it sounds tremendous!

JeffD
Dec-17-2009, 11:11pm
dahaha i think i gotta get to know her a little better first, if you know what i mean... but you never know :whistling:

ps: going from 20 degrees to a 70 degree house, how long should I wait to open? Is overnight necessary?

I always heard:

Open the box when the box feels up to room temperature.

Let it sit open.

Open the instrument case when the case feels up to room temperature.

Let it sit open.

Pick up the mandolin when it feels up to room temperature.

billkilpatrick
Dec-18-2009, 3:33am
must confess, i've never heard any of that good advise - i would have ripped the pack and case open the minute it arrived, regardless of temperature. good thing i'm NEVER! going to buy another mandolin again.

"i'm cured of MAS! - ask me how!" - buttons available at select funeral homes and morgues.

- bill

8stringdreamer
Dec-19-2009, 4:58am
good thing i'm NEVER! going to buy another mandolin again.
- bill

ah but isn't it the things we say we'll never do that we often end up doing? crazy old world...

Mike Bromley
Dec-19-2009, 6:31am
I bought a 1946 Gibson L-7 from Archtop.com.....and it was agonizing to wait. Joshua was right. Nice looking mando, Schlazz.

Barry Platnick
Dec-19-2009, 10:35am
beautiful Mando Schlazz. soudns like you waited just the right amount of time.
I usually wait about 6 hours with vintage guitars but the finisish is less labile.

SchlazzGraft
Dec-19-2009, 2:36pm
Thanks guys! I'm thoroughly addicted to this thing... hopefully my guitars don't start collecting too much dust! ;)

SchlazzGraft
Dec-20-2009, 11:45pm
I recorded a little practice riff in G i came up with, bear with some of the awful parts (especially the first trem) but it gives a good idea of what she sounds like! let me know what you think ~:>