PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Announces New Master Model KM-900 Mandolin

NewsFetcher
Dec-17-2009, 9:20am
Kentucky Announces New Master Model KM-900 Mandolin
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001163.shtml

The Kentucky Mandolin company has announced production of the new Master Model KM-900 mandolin, the design inspired by the original Gibson A5 mandolin signed and dated by Lloyd Loar on September 20, 1923.

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. Note that the addition of images, videos, links and other coding is turned OFF for this area.

Keith Erickson
Dec-17-2009, 12:30pm
Oh my goodness....................I wish there was a drewl emoticon. I can't wait to hear how this sounds!!!!

Hat's off and cheers !!!!

Scott Tichenor
Dec-17-2009, 12:34pm
We'd been waiting for details on the suggested retail price and just received that and updated the article. It's $1,295.

Keith Erickson
Dec-17-2009, 12:58pm
We'd been waiting for details on the suggested retail price and just received that and updated the article. It's $1,295.

Scott,

Thank you for the update. This is truly exciting and outstanding. My suggestion is to add a drewl emoticon ;-)

This Kentucky looks absolutely beautiful!!!

ColdBeerGoCubs
Dec-17-2009, 8:45pm
Michigan Maple......don't see that often (I don't think), very cool.

Jill McAuley
Dec-18-2009, 1:31pm
I'm really looking forward to playing one of these - wonder what price we'll see them going at vs. the suggested retail price?

Cheers,
Jill

Rick Schmidlin
Dec-18-2009, 2:45pm
This may be the affordable A I have been looking for.

Glassweb
Dec-18-2009, 3:21pm
why anyone would (these days) release a commercial run of a new mandolin with a full fingerboard extension is beyond me. i mean, i know WHY they did it, but don't they realize that everyone and his brother has been afflicted with "pickclickaphobia"? still, i much prefer the "full-monty" as opposed the dreaded "black tongue" - the most ridiculous looking curse to ever hit good mandolin design!

yeah, i know... ask me how i REALLY feel...

f5loar
Dec-18-2009, 7:59pm
I was glad to see a full board. It's the best imitation of the real deal I've seen mass produced. But does it sound as good as the real deal? If it is up there with the KM1000 it should be pretty stout sounding.

Mike Bromley
Jan-04-2010, 1:47pm
Is it my eye, or is the bridge not centered on the top? It looks almost as though the f-holes and bridge are neckward of the center. Kinda like an F-7, but in the wrong direction.

sgarrity
Jan-04-2010, 2:41pm
And have you seen that they've come out with a prototype for a KM1500?? The first one is at the Mandolin Store. It looks real, real nice!!

eightstringsaweek
Jan-04-2010, 2:55pm
Is it my eye, or is the bridge not centered on the top? It looks almost as though the f-holes and bridge are neckward of the center. Kinda like an F-7, but in the wrong direction.

Yep, just like the one and only original:
http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/show_mando.pl?51

evanreilly
Nov-13-2011, 2:28pm
Well, after waiting patiently and looking at quite a few ads, I got a used one (rat-cheer in the classifieds!!). First impressions are that it is very clean workmanship and assembly; then that it sounds very loud & clear I had a KM-1500 years ago and I always thought it was over-finished and heavy and dull sounding. This one is not!!!!

Clement Barrera-Ng
Nov-13-2011, 9:36pm
Evan -congrats. Did you get a KM-900 or KM-1500?

evanreilly
Nov-13-2011, 10:50pm
I got a KM-900; much better than the old KM-1500, which had issues and needed to go back to Japan once. Second time it had issues, I just used superglue!!!
By the way, how is the aluminum saddle doing for you?

Clement Barrera-Ng
Nov-14-2011, 10:46pm
Evan - it's encouraging to hear that you think the new KM900 is even better than the old KM1500. I have had mine for a couple months, and I am constantly surprised by how good it sounds. I got to listen to mine being played by a friend the other day, right after he played his Apitius F style. The 10-year old Apitius sounds absolutely fantastic and loud, but I was surprised to hear my KM-900 - strung with Thomastiks Stark- sound almost as loud and held its own. Not too shabby for under 1K!

As for the aluminum saddle - I was going to put it on an old Gibson A, but just didn't get around to having it sent it for installation. It's due for a refret next year, so I'll probably get it installed at the same time. Thanks for asking.

Enjoy!

evanreilly
Nov-15-2011, 11:17am
I was never really happy with the old KM-1500; I wanted an F-5 style real basd, and that was the best immediately around, maybe 30 years ago. So, I bought it.
But the 'new' KM-900 is head and shoulders above it. the finish under the fingerboard extension is real clean, and the binding joints are excellent. And it plays and sounds great as well!!!!

45ACP-GDLF5
Nov-15-2011, 12:23pm
I was never really happy with the old KM-1500; I wanted an F-5 style real basd, and that was the best immediately around, maybe 30 years ago. So, I bought it.
But the 'new' KM-900 is head and shoulders above it. the finish under the fingerboard extension is real clean, and the binding joints are excellent. And it plays and sounds great as well!!!!

Hey Evan, I've got one of the old KM-1000's from 1980. We need to get together and compare tones!

evanreilly
Nov-15-2011, 1:55pm
Hey Evan, I've got one of the old KM-1000's from 1980. We need to get together and compare tones!

You where to find me every Thursday night: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mrs-Hyatts-Music-House/136900621610

Come on Down!!!!