PDA

View Full Version : The Paul Glasse Interview

NewsFetcher
Dec-15-2009, 11:17am
The Paul Glasse Interview
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001158.shtml

The Mandolin Cafe's message board members engage Austin, Texas based jazz mandolinist Paul Glasse for an extended interview.

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. Note that the addition of images, videos, links and other coding is turned OFF for this area.

Scott Tichenor
Dec-15-2009, 11:21am
I'd like to extend a big thank you to Ted Eschliman at JazzMando.com for organizing the questions and answers and helping prep all the text for the interview, and to our board members for some great questions. Hope you like the end result. Enjoy.

Will Patton
Dec-15-2009, 11:54am
What a great, incisive interview - thanks to all concerned for your efforts - great questions as well.
Will Patton

Glassweb
Dec-15-2009, 12:23pm
Great work by Paul and all the questionaires... ain't y'all diggin' this new Interview format on The Cafe?

Aaron Woods
Dec-15-2009, 1:57pm
What an awesome resource for present a future mandolin players. Paul has such a clarity to his thoughts (even when I have no idea what he is talking about i.e. the Don & Paul exchange).

Ron Block shot out a great link out on his facebook about the demands of greatness - practice. When I was reading Paul's thoughts it seemed so clear to me - this dude has served his time.

Thank you!

Seth Rosen
Dec-15-2009, 3:47pm
Great interview with an amazing talent. Thanks to all involved!

chasray
Dec-15-2009, 4:29pm
This is great stuff. Thank you mandolincafe.

buckles
Dec-15-2009, 5:06pm
Sensational interview! Good questions, GREAT answers....

bones12
Dec-15-2009, 5:33pm
Here is a great big thanks to all involved. Great and varied questions made this a wonderful interview. Paul needs to know he has a lot of fans listening to him. This is such a fine community. Thanks to all. Doug Campbell in Vermont

danbui
Dec-15-2009, 5:49pm
This is a really great interview, I especially appreciate the sound clips and the handwritten chart.

mandroid
Dec-16-2009, 1:36am
was caused to wonder about the stevens pickups.. my guess: it's a dual side by side coil humbucker
with 3 pole screws sticking through the cover on one coil ,,
and 2 pole screws sticking up thru the cover on the other coil ,

am I close?

Nick Royal
Dec-16-2009, 3:39pm
I think the new idea of interviews with great mandolin players is really an interesting idea. Looking at the questions posed for Paul Glasse, it's like one's own addition to a Mandolin Magazine interview with a player, but with more perspectives.
I also thought Paul's answers were really interesting....though I got lost often when talking about chords etc. (In the same way I got lost when Paul did his advanced workshop on chord construction at the Mandolin Symposium two years ago!)
Nick Royal
Santa Cruz, CA

mrmando
Dec-16-2009, 8:55pm
I was able to discover the present location of Tiny Moore's mandolin by reading a couple of other threads here on the Cafe and some information posted by Deke Dickerson on another list. I have forgotten the precise location, but I could find the info again, I am sure.

When I am rich and famous I will open an e-mando museum and ask the current owner of Tiny's mandolin to loan it for display. Perhaps Paul could loan his first Stevens as well.

It kind of hurts to read Paul's remarks about the Roberts 5-strings, since I own one. I have to admit it's something of a beast to play, but on the other hand it never seemed to slow Tiny down.

Keith Erickson
Dec-17-2009, 12:33pm
I'm completely impressed!!!! Blown away to be exact........ I've kind a sort a flirted with Jazz mandolin but now I think I need to get more into this.

Thank you Ted :-)

Dan Hoover
Dec-19-2009, 1:02pm
very cool interview..i'm really digging theses interview's..lot's of great advice coming from some of the greatest mando players around...looking forward to many,many more..thank's guy's..

pglasse
Dec-21-2009, 10:48pm
Thanks to all for the kind comments and special thanks to Scott and Ted for their help and graciousness in the process -- a true pleasure to work with them on this. Thanks for listening!

Paul Glasse
Austin, Texas

RSomers
Dec-29-2009, 11:21am
I think this is a wonderful forum and a chance to gain insights from the persons who define this mandolin society of ours. If you gain anything from these conversations, its a win win scenario. I have to note the Paul has an innate capacity for chord interval structure that fills my cup and runs over. However, what I have been able to capture from him has enhanced by ability, and had lead me to a new plateau in understanding.
To bad you can't share the agility of ones hands.
I think this is the example of where the mandolin cafe is showing its full capacity to benefit all of us. Please carry on with this direction Scott and Ted.

Mandolin Cafe
Dec-15-2017, 8:29am
Noting the anniversary of this great interview Ted Eschliman did for us that was published this date in 2009. Paul's music, for those of you that have not heard it, is still as fresh today as it was when we first heard it. Marvelous stuff, must own ear candy.

163170 (https://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001158.shtml)

paul dirac
Dec-18-2017, 9:15pm
Hear, Hear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33m_nf7AKIA

Mandolin Cafe
Dec-15-2018, 9:26am
Noting the anniversary of this interview from 2009.

Mandolin Cafe
Dec-15-2019, 10:07am
Nothing today's anniversary of this interview.

Mandolin Cafe
Dec-15-2021, 7:42am
Noting the anniversary of this feature interview.

Mark Gunter
Dec-16-2021, 2:25pm
An awesome interview, read it again today. Thanks Mandolin Cafe … & Paul & Ted & all who submitted questions.