PDA

View Full Version : "double depth" body

solanumph
Dec-14-2009, 3:37am
I've been trolling the vintage listings on ebay looking to buy my first mandolin, and came across this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140366728533#ht_720wt_907

I'm curious about the unique body shape and tried Googling it, but I'm not sure how to describe it (the listing says "double body")

Can anyone tell me more about it, like what the extra extended body is for, which companies made it, etc.?

Thanks a lot

Bernie Daniel
Dec-14-2009, 6:53am
Welcome!

Looks like someone decided to extend the idea of a banjo resonator to a mandolin.

My guess is that they took the back off a mandolin (20's to 30's era instrument) and then built a resonator cavity for it and attached the two. Color stains are match well so I guess it could have been built that way from the get go.

There are instrument builders here who will be able to tell for sure about that.

Interesting idea for sure. I'll bet its IS loud -- not sure what kind of sound quality it would have though. Still its a pretty neat idea anyway --IMO. :)

Big Joe
Dec-14-2009, 7:46am
If you really look hard (ok, not always that hard) you can find every kind of weird contraption out there. I have seen a couple similar mandolins over the years. If you are looking for tonal quality, I'm sure you can get it. Let's just not discuss what quality :) . In reality they did not have much volume and tone was comparable to the average ten dollar mandolin available today. Maybe an interesting wall hangar, but that was about it. I am sure they were trying to improve volume with the resonator thing, but it really did not get the job done.

Rob Gerety
Dec-14-2009, 7:49am
I'd tend to stick more to the main stream.

Jim Garber
Dec-14-2009, 7:52am
Those are pretty common budget-model mandolins, prob made in the 1930s-40s. I have seen them under a number of labels including Blue Comet and Imperial and a bunch of others. BION, Bernie, that was not a factory instrument but actually made that way. Usually the little resonator holes have screens on them.

As Joe noted, these were not high quality or particularly good sounding. As I recall they were all laminated wood. I owned one years ago and it was a novelty mandolin for sure.

Their main claim to fame is that Howard Armstrong (Louie Bluie) played one.

I agree with Rob to stick to more mainstream instruments as your first one. BTW this will prob go for more than $45.

solanumph
Dec-14-2009, 10:56am
Wow- thanks everyone for your thorough and helpful responses. It was these forums that helped me decide to spend the time looking for an affordable vintage mandolin in good condition rather than go for a cheap new one.

So the search continues :-)

allenhopkins
Dec-14-2009, 12:19pm
Looks like one of these voyaged across the "Pond," and now Pamela's Music is selling it here (http://www.pamelasmusic.co.uk/images/Forsale/string/mandolins/M192.htm) for £325!! (That's about $527, I guess.) On the other hand, Elderly sold a "single chamber" (no "resonator," but with the screened soundholes) Blue Comet for $55. Quite a variance.

mandroid
Dec-14-2009, 1:27pm
:popcorn: .. perils of E Bay ..

As a first mandolin, a mystery fixer upper steepens the learning curve, and may not be a good path .

Unless you are into handicapping , or you are lucky and it ships to you in a nicely setup playable condition.

Just sayin' :whistling:

GVD
Dec-14-2009, 1:46pm
"It has no case."

No kidding? :disbelief: