PDA

View Full Version : Scales Practice Question

Andrew DeMarco
Dec-13-2009, 1:09pm
When I'm practicing scales, should I be using all downstrokes or alternating down up down up etc...?

Mike Bunting
Dec-13-2009, 1:24pm
Both.

mandroid
Dec-13-2009, 1:39pm
Try alternating .. for fluidity , starting with a down, and starting with an up.
and start the scales with each of your 4 fingers on the root/tonic

Rob Gerety
Dec-13-2009, 5:58pm
And verbalize the scale degree and or note as you play - also do vary the order and etc. make various exercises out of scale practice - maybe play the arpeggios at the same time etc. I got in a rut of just playing up and down and it kind of stunted the depth of my knowledge of where the notes are. Sometimes start at the top, sometimes start on the 3rd and the 5th. Sometimes go up three at at time starting at each scale degree, sometimes down. Always verbalize the note and/or degree. Use a metronome and do these thing in different rhythms.

JeffD
Dec-13-2009, 7:08pm
Do 'em as half notes, tremolo every one.

Play every note as a double stop.

Play every other note going up, and the missed notes going down.

Play them in a jig rhythm.

Do them in closed position.

Do them in closed position with closed double stops.

Its all good.

Rob Gerety
Dec-14-2009, 7:15am
And target certain beats. For example learn to play in 3 note sequences to that you end on a particular beat - pick one of the strong beats - then do it with 4 notes, then 5. Then pick a different beat to land on. Then do the same thing coming down. Pay attention to what beat you are landing on.

And spend time playing only the 135 scale degrees.

I came across some of the best scale practice exercises I have found in a guitar book Chord Tone Soloing by Bret Tagliarino (sp?). Great book.

Perry
Dec-14-2009, 7:51am
Also may I suggest you also concentrate on leaving your fingers down on the fingerboard when you practice your scales.

Hard to explain but I'll try......let's say you fret a note with your first finger well leave that finger down even though the next note is fretted with your second finger and so on. The idea being is that you are trying to eliminate unecessary finger movement.

Many of us don't do it and it's a hard habit to shake.

JeffD
Dec-14-2009, 10:21am
Also may I suggest you also concentrate on leaving your fingers down on the fingerboard when you practice your scales.

Excellent excellent advice. This one little tip, that I got from beginning fiddle lessons, greatly increased my speed and accuracy.

SincereCorgi
Dec-16-2009, 1:05am
This is all good advice, but it might be intimidating for someone who's just getting started on scales. I'd say the simple answer is: down-up when you start, and work through a good non-discouraging book like Hrimaly. Just my $.02.