PDA

View Full Version : Click Mandolin

Jim Kirkland
Dec-09-2009, 12:05am
Butch Click just sent me these pics of the mando he built for me. I must say it looks good, maybe I am a little biased. I played it for 3 weeks while it was in the white. I sent back my list of things I wanted changed when I shipped the mando back for the finish. This has been an experience, deciding what I wanted, making sure the builder understood, and getting the finished mando. Butch sure has been nice to work with. Now to get it from Indiana to New Mexico. Oh, the most important part, I will have to learn to play something this nice. My Sweetie said that I am way too happy, just like being at a jam and no where to go.

Eric Hanson
Dec-09-2009, 12:38am
Hey Jim!
She looks like a beaut!
Are you going to be able to make the trip and play at The Weed Patch?
If you do, drop me a PM and let me know when. :mandosmiley:

Jim Kirkland
Dec-09-2009, 12:46am
Eric, not for sure when I will be there, but I will let you know so we can do few tunes. I want to jump in the car and be there in 2 days and pick this baby up. I am happy with the finish I picked, but more than that I am very happy with the way it played and the sound.

Skip Kelley
Dec-09-2009, 7:28am
Jim, Congratulations! That's a great looking mandolin. Really nice maple in that one!!

Dfyngravity
Dec-09-2009, 8:50am
Nice! I really like the backside, you can see the natural grain of the wood through the finish. It really shows the true characteristics of the wood. Congrats and happy picking!

hank
Dec-09-2009, 9:00am
Most excellent Jim. Congratulations. "Way too happy" sounds like a good place to be that you can take with you where ever you go.

JEStanek
Dec-09-2009, 9:03am
Congratulations. I've enjoyed working with builders on my mandolins very much too! You got a looker.

Jamie

Chuck Naill
Dec-09-2009, 9:23pm
Very nice. What type of a finish, it looks like a varnish. I like the none finished neck also. What tone woods were used.

Charles E.
Dec-09-2009, 9:42pm
The maker shipped it to you strung up in the white and let you play it for three weeks!? I have never heard of such customer service! Great Mando.

Jim Kirkland
Dec-10-2009, 1:02am
I couldn't sleep last night, way too excited after getting the message that the mando was ready for pickup.
Chuck, it is varnish, without a high gloss, color is a tint dye to let the wood grain show. I visited the builder at his shop, he carefully went thur the build specs, and then we picked the wood together. I talked about the finish and he said, can you get a pic. I provided a pic and he did a superb performance. Neck, back and sides are maple. Fretboard and bridge, ebony. Scooped fretboard with inlay for fret look. Engleman top.

Charles, Butch Click is all about doing what the customer desires. He told me that he wanted me to play it in the white and make sure it was what I wanted, and if there were things that needed change, he could do that before the finish was applied. He built it, shipped it to NM from IN. I played it for 3 weeks, took it to a couple of jams, I made a few comments about setup, shipped it back, and the finish was applied. Very slick process. I am traveling thru IN in a few weeks and I will stop by Click Mandolins and pick the baby up. It is like you know Christmas is here but not here yet. I will post a follow up when I pick it up.

barry k
Dec-10-2009, 2:01am
Nice mando, John Hutto used to ship his mandolins to the customer in the white for pre approval, I guess. I would just be curious of if oil from human hands , or other sources can affect adhesion of finish, especially on the neck? One other question, sorry......who is paying for all this shipping ?, it isnt cheap these days !

Chuck Naill
Dec-10-2009, 7:35am
Chuck, it is varnish, without a high gloss, color is a tint dye to let the wood grain show. I visited the builder at his shop, he carefully went thur the build specs, and then we picked the wood together. I talked about the finish and he said, can you get a pic. I provided a pic and he did a superb performance. Neck, back and sides are maple. Fretboard and bridge, ebony. Scooped fretboard with inlay for fret look. Engleman top.

Varnish as I thought. Reminds me of a violin finish...very nice.

I love Englemann. You did good. Congratulations.

Jim Kirkland
Dec-10-2009, 10:11am
Nice mando, John Hutto used to ship his mandolins to the customer in the white for pre approval, I guess. I would just be curious of if oil from human hands , or other sources can affect adhesion of finish, especially on the neck? One other question, sorry......who is paying for all this shipping ?, it isnt cheap these days !

Barry it is expensive to ship. He paid ship to me and I paid the return. I will pick it up on a trip so there are no additional ship cost. Without proper care, there could be problems with something in white being touched a lot. I have repaired a lot of violins, therefore I knew the care I needed to provide the mando. The final sand had not been completed.

Jim Kirkland
Dec-11-2009, 1:11am
Accidental post.

Twgarner
Apr-18-2023, 9:13pm
Jim was a friend of mine and I was fortunate to have this mandolin after his passing. It is everything Jim said. He brought it by my studio just after he got it. It was fine then but it is great now.