PDA

View Full Version : Ct music store

Clamdigger
Dec-08-2009, 7:15am
I am looking for info on a music store that is located in an old house on Route #1 in Connecticut. Sells and repairs instruments and is possibly in the Guilford area. Thanks Clamdigger

Douglas McMullin
Dec-08-2009, 7:27am
http://www.acousticmusic.org/ ?

1238 Boston Post Rd., Guilford, CT 06437 USA (according to Google Maps that is RT 1)

journeybear
Dec-08-2009, 9:36am
That's the one. FKA Youngblood Music Workshop - or possibly both businesses are operating under the same roof. It's between exits 56 and 57 off I-95, west of Guilford town center, just by a small river.

George is a very interesting guy, old school. the genuine article, likes to use vintage tools that he finds at barn sales and such. Nice write-up in The Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/nyregion/from-wood-and-string-crafting-a-sound-that-s-vintage.html) a few years back. His apprentice Ebin is more modern and computer-savvy, hence the website. It's been more than two years since my last visit, and things may have changed. Some of this is conjecture, though - the site is a bit mysterious, not forthcoming with information. But that's beside the point. Just call them - 203-458-2525

Clamdigger
Dec-08-2009, 10:08am
Thanks for the info Doug & Journeybear. I am sure that is the place and will call them this AM. You are right about George. When I was there a couple of years ago a guy was first violin in a big time NY City orchresta. He was leaving his violin there for repairs and said that he would not let anyone else touch other than George. Thanks again. Clamdigger

Mandobar
Dec-08-2009, 10:15am
the music store retail business is owned by Brian Wolfe and his partner Tryp Wyeth. the building and repair business is owned and run by George Youngblood. if you are looking for George, call the music store and they will know if he is in the shop. while retail business is pretty slow every repairman worth his salt is busier than ever, and George is one busy guy. He does work for John Hiatt and a number of other pros.

journeybear
Dec-08-2009, 11:25am
Thanks for clearing that up. As I said, the website is a bit mysterious. It looks like Ebin is now going by his given name, Brian. George is indeed busy, has been for a long time - you may have to wait a bit. His work is well-respected; seems like people in the biz know about him. Once when I visited he had Charlie Daniel's banjo in the shop. I don't know what makes a banjo worth $50,000, but that baby rang like a bell. Just sayin' ... :whistling: