PDA

View Full Version : Could I ask for some advice on buying a mandolin as a gift?

Smileandlisten
Dec-07-2009, 6:22pm
My husband has played guitar for over 50 years and has collected some wonderful old and new ones. He often says that he'd love to learn to play mandolin, so I thought I'd try to get one for him for Christmas. I'd like to get him something that's well crafted but not more than say, $300, if that's possible? It's my understanding that the reason many folks don't continue to play is that they start with badly made cheap instruments that are not properly put together (you have probably figured out by now that I know absolutely NOTHING about this topic!) and therefore are difficult to play.

If there are folks who could make recommendations I would very much appreciate it. It will be, perhaps, the only time I've been able to surprise him and hope I haven't waited too long!

Thanks for your help.

JEStanek
Dec-07-2009, 6:43pm
I will recomend a Kentucky KM150S from a good dealer like Elderly Instruments (http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KM150S.htm) or a KM160 from The Mandolin Store (http://www.themandolinstore.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8817). They will send this good starter instrument to you well adjusted and ready to play. I've personally gotten instruments from both places and can vouch for their good customer service and instrument set ups. You might ask them to change the strings (for maybe $5-10 extra) to have it sounding it's best. This is a thoughtful gift you're making.

These are the first two ideas that popped into my head. I'm sure other members will have ideas for you too. Both of my suggestions are under $300.

Jamie

Smileandlisten
Dec-07-2009, 6:53pm
Jamie, Thank you very much. I am one of the most fortunate women in the world and want to thank my husband for the hours of music he's played for me. He works at home and when he needs inspiration or a break, out comes one of the guitars and the house is filled with wonderful music.............it is truly a gift that he gives to me every day. I'm not one who 'gets' music or 'hears' the subtle differences between instruments but he is and I deeply appreciate guidance in thanking him for these years of harmony! I will look into the places you mentioned. Thank you!

Dan Hoover
Dec-07-2009, 6:55pm
i would only add to maybe think about a gift certificate??from one or another store that Jamie mentioned??i know,it's not as exciting as opening up a gift and surprise!! it's a mando!! but,just something to think about??? there are a lot of good mandolin's out there for around that price...good luck..

Rick Schmidlin
Dec-07-2009, 7:43pm
I will recomend a Kentucky KM150S from a good dealer like Elderly Instruments (http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KM150S.htm) or a KM160 from The Mandolin Store (http://www.themandolinstore.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8817). They will send this good starter instrument to you well adjusted and ready to play. I've personally gotten instruments from both places and can vouch for their good customer service and instrument set ups. You might ask them to change the strings (for maybe $5-10 extra) to have it sounding it's best. This is a thoughtful gift you're making.

These are the first two ideas that popped into my head. I'm sure other members will have ideas for you too. Both of my suggestions are under $300.

Jamie

Jamie has given perfect advice:mandosmiley:

Smileandlisten
Dec-07-2009, 8:07pm
Thanks, guys for chiming in..............I know that I could give him a gift certificate, but just once, I would love to give him an instrument. I would never dream of buying him a guitar but figure that a starter mandolin (which he totally does not expect) can't go too far wrong if I have good guidance from knowledgeable players. It's a bit greedy, but I want that thrill.

Jim MacDaniel
Dec-07-2009, 8:24pm
The Kentucky KM-172 (http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KM172.htm) is another fine option in that pricerange if he prefers the oval-hole sound. Else the KM-150 is a good option if he likes the f-hole sound or if he plays bluegrass -- but the KM-162 (http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KM162.htm) is another good f-hole option if you like the amber top on the 172. (Background: F-hole instruments yield a better bluegrass "chop" and project better, while oval-hole instruments sound more complex and have more sustain.)

recon
Dec-07-2009, 8:29pm
Kentucky mandolins KM 162, KM172, and KM 174 are also in the under $300 category.

Edit--Jim beat me to it.

Tim2723
Dec-07-2009, 8:41pm
What a lucky fellow your husband is!! You've received excellent advice, and we all wish you both happy holidays and great success! The second best gift is to introduce him to our community after he gets the mandolin.

Smileandlisten
Dec-07-2009, 9:03pm
I will surely introduce him.............he's on the Martin/Gibson/Santa Cruz, et.al. forums and would much enjoy this one also.

Question, so, the shape of the hole (duh!) obviously makes a difference. Can I go horribly wrong with an oval over an f-shape? He plays lots of folk/blues.....fortunately, I know he'll be tickled with whatever he gets, but if that's a determining factor should I steer toward one over the other? We're on the East Coast and I'll need to get moving to get it here (and stashed at a neighbors) in time. You guys are most gracious! Thank you!

instrumentality
Dec-07-2009, 9:11pm
The Kentucky suggestions that people are giving above are a good bet - those were recommended to me when I was first starting out as well.

You may even be able to step up to a Kentucky 505, for just around your budget, if you find one used, though it may end up a bit over $300, so not sure if you would want to consider that or not.

JEStanek
Dec-07-2009, 9:12pm
While, I personally prefer oval hole sound, the f hole is a tad more versatile if he'll play it with others. The f hole (vs oval hole) gives the instrument a bit more cut through other instruments so it can be heard better (a more focused sound like a spot light than a flood light). If he'll play bluegrass the f hole is better suited for that.

You can, of course, play darn near any style of music on either soundhole configuration. You can hear sound clips at the Mandolin Store (I linked there earlier) and compare Kentucky instruments of similar price with different holes (http://www.themandolinstore.com/Scripts/prodList.asp).

Jamie

Jean Fugal
Dec-07-2009, 9:15pm
In spite of all that has been said, I still like Musicians Friend. Here is one for $49.95.
For $89.95 you can get a guitar and a mandolin. If they are just plain unplayable junk,you can send em back no cost to you within 45 days.
http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-RM100A-AStyle-Mandolin?sku=519193

I like the Kentucky 172, (I think, haven't played one). If he has played guitar for 50 years he likely knows enough to tweek the set-up, and if he decides he wants to play mandolin he will be looking well above the 300 dollar range within a very short time.

Jean

Dave Weiss
Dec-07-2009, 11:15pm
Another vote for the Kentuckies. I had a km162 that I wish I still had :crying: and I currently have a km172 that I thoroughly enjoy.

allenhopkins
Dec-08-2009, 1:05am
In spite of all that has been said, I still like Musicians Friend. Here is one for $49.95...For $89.95 you can get a guitar and a mandolin. If they are just plain unplayable junk,you can send em back no cost to you within 45 days.

I'd be a bit leery of these. Musician's Friend is good for what it is, but they do zero set-up, and a $50 mandolin could probably use all the set-up possible. Certainly you're dealing with all-plywood here, unlike the suggested Kentuckies which are solid wood. If your husband hangs out on Martin and Santa Cruz websites, he's probably used to quality solid-wood instruments.

Kentucky mandolins get fairly universal high marks on this site, as being good low- to mid-range instruments.

Nathan Wilson
Dec-08-2009, 6:01am
http://themandolinhut.com/kentucky_mandolin_km_161.htm

This is a lesser-mentioned Kentucky model and I don't see many of them around, but I have this one and I LOVE IT! The black with the cream binding is gorgeous and this one at the mandolin hut is $299 with a hard case and set up!

Smileandlisten
Dec-08-2009, 8:58am
Wow, thank you for all your generous advice! I'm inclined to go for something above the ones mentioned from Musician's Friend, just because he's fussy about his guitars and, quite rightly as predicted, even if he gets one of the Kentuckys in the one hundred series, if he enjoys it he will upgrade for certain. He has a far more sensitive sense of sound than I and 'respects the wood' in his instruments. I'm thinking the oval hole would probably be what's good because he only plays with our boys on occasion and would be playing alone most of the time.

What good fortune to have found you all here, and as I meander thru this, I'll let you know what I get him! Thanks again.

Capt. E
Dec-08-2009, 10:33am
In general, as you can probably tell from the suggestions here, Kentucky makes among the best values in mandolins. The KM-505 is one of the best, but it is nearer $500 new. I expect if the mandolin really grabs your husband, and MAS (Mandolin acquisition syndrome) sets it, he will soon be looking at the various fine USA made instruments by makers such as Collings, Weber, Gibson, etc.
Lucky guy to have such a supportive wife, but like you said, he pays it back with music.

Smileandlisten
Dec-08-2009, 10:38am
Thanks, Capt............ok, now here's a technical and maybe 'ethical' question. Amazon has Kentucky mandolins.............some significantly cheaper than the mandolin sites............now, i realize that the mandolin sites would be better for small business, etc. but there are a lot of mandolins on Amazon that are cheaper and have free shipping. The mandolin stores would probably make it ready, but since he's a stringed instrument 'geek' maybe he'd enjoy that?

Would I get 'more' mandolin for the money by going to Amazon? Or, is that not worth the savings?

Tim2723
Dec-08-2009, 10:43am
Well, I'm not sure about ethical considerations, but it's one of the great truths that mandolins require a good set up. While some guitars might play well 'out of the box' from some place like Amazon, the mandolin will almost certainly not. If your husband is very skilled, it might work out OK, but many times even highly skilled guitar technicians lack the knowledge necessary for the mandolin's set up. While you'll pay a bit more from a mandolin dealer, the work they provide is a real key to success.

JEStanek
Dec-08-2009, 10:55am
Smileandlisten, All mandolins need a set up before they are comfortable to play and can perform to their potential. For imported instruments, the requirement is even greater as they are built to a spec and not individually adjusted. Having a shop adjust your mandolin could cost you an additional $50-100 depending upon the work required. If you add that cost (Amazon and Musician Friend don't do this) the prices from the other dealers becomes more attractive and, your husbands new instrument is ready to go when unwrapped!

Another thing for you to know, when you get the mandolin in the mail, it will be cold. DO NOT open the box and look at the instrument right away, you risk having the finish crack (not a warranty item). Rather, let the box adjust to room temperature then let each subsequent layer or box adjust to room temperature before opening (go by feel).

Jamie

Capt. E
Dec-08-2009, 11:00am
I agree not to buy from Amazon, but from a reputable dealer who will make sure the instrument is properly set-up. Every mandolin I have ever owned required one.

Smileandlisten
Dec-08-2009, 11:09am
Many, many thanks! That's just what I needed to know! So, when i order it (by phone) are there any specific questions or requests that I make to get it 'set up'.............are there strings that would be good to request? I'll probably call Elderly Instruments or the Mandolin Store within a day or so. And, thanks for the reminder about the cold weather. I remember that hubs has often had to suffer the time of waiting to open a guitar while it adjusts to house temperature! That is a true test of patience! You guys have been very kind and I deeply appreciate the possibility to guide this decision!

Tim2723
Dec-08-2009, 11:28am
If it's a mandolin dealer, some folks refer to set up as "shop adjustment", so you may hear that term. A proper set up should include fresh strings, and again, if it's a dealer they'll have their best choice to recommend. I'm sure your husband will have a good time trying different strings, it's part of the fun. The D'Addario J-74 strings are a popular starting point. But if you do business with either of those companies you'll have very little to worry about. Rest assured that you'll be in expert hands.

Kevin Briggs
Dec-08-2009, 8:23pm
I agree with all of the advice, aside from the Musician's Friend tip. Here is a list of reputable dealers that I am aware of:
1. www.themandolinstore.com
2. www.acousticmusicworks.com
3. www.janetdavismusic.com
4. www.elderlyinstruments.com
5. www.gregboydinstruments.com
6. www.giannaviolins.com
7. www.bigjoesguitarworks.com
8. www.gruhn.com

There are more, I just don't know them off of the top of my head. However, the stores above are all good. I have purchased instruments from Dennis at The Mandolin Store, and he is a great person to buy from, nonetheless a great person altogether.

atetone
Dec-08-2009, 9:39pm
Not to belittle any of the other dealers mentioned but I have to say that I have dealt with Dennis at The Mandolin Store a couple of times and he is a top notch guy to deal with.
He gives it to you straight.
If you do call his store insist on talking to Dennis and tell him WE sent you!
You never know what he might have tucked away in the back.
He will answer any questions that you might have and will pick out the nicest one of whichever model you decide to go with and will make sure it is well set up.
Good luck.

Kevin Briggs
Dec-08-2009, 9:59pm
I concur with that wholeheartedly.

Dennis will work with the price you give him, and he'll sell you something that costs less if he thinks it is the better product. That's about the best compliment you can give a business man.

He's liable to befriend you as well, so watch out for his random acts of kindness. :)

Rich Evans
Dec-08-2009, 10:59pm
I have dealt with both Elderly and The Mandolin Store. While they are both top notch reputable dealers, I feel that you will get more genuine personal care from Dennis at the Mandolin Store. He plays every mandolin in his store, and will pick out one that will satisfy your request. He can recommend the proper strings, and will do a first class set up. Almost all of his business is via the phone or internet, so he is well equipped to make sure the shipping goes well.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Sergio Saldivar
Dec-08-2009, 11:08pm
Another vote for Dennis, Kathy and Brian at The Mandolin Store. I have purchased five instruments (and multiple accessories) from them in the last two years and their set up and customer service are top notch.

_________
Sergio

Jim MacDaniel
Dec-09-2009, 11:17am
...are there strings that would be good to request?

As Ted mentions on his web site, his JM-11's (http://jazzmando.com/jazzmando_jm11_flatwound_strings.shtml) "won't 'spank' banjos in a loud acoustic setting", but they have been my string of choice for the past couple of years. I like the feel of these lighter gauge flatwounds, and they sound warm and balanced to my ears.

Capt. E
Dec-09-2009, 5:20pm
I concur with that wholeheartedly.

Dennis will work with the price you give him, and he'll sell you something that costs less if he thinks it is the better product. That's about the best compliment you can give a business man.

He's liable to befriend you as well, so watch out for his random acts of kindness. :)

Clay at Fiddlers Green in Austin is the same. You tell him the price, he'll tell you the best mandolin, even if it is well below your budget. Makes for great customer loyalty.

Smileandlisten
Dec-24-2009, 9:36am
I'm the lucky guy whose wife bought him a mandolin for Christmas...yep, we exchanged gifts this morning as we have to travel tomorrow. I wanted to thank all of you for the help you offered her. As she told you, I've been playing guitar for many, many years now and I've always found fellow musicians to be among the most generous and giving individuals on the planet. You folks here proved my point.

To fill you in on her purchase...she went to my local luthier, who also happens to be a heck of a mandolin and fiddle player, and he sold her a Rover RM-75. He told her I had been eying it in his shop on one of my recent visits. Now, not having the expertise to know exactly what I am looking for or listening for, I can say that the action and overall playability of the instrument is just great. Overall fit and finish seem to be above average. I can remember my "starter" guitar (yes, I can still remember that far back!) and it certainly was nothing like this instrument.

Once again, thank all of you for your assistance. I have registered here under the screen name of "wayside" and as soon as the admin approves it I will hopefully become and active member of your community. Prepare yourselves for an onslaught of dumb, newbie questions.

wayside

JEStanek
Dec-24-2009, 9:41am
Congratulations and Merry Christmas! Christmas Carols are a blast (and easy) on the mandolin.

Jamie

Skip Kelley
Dec-24-2009, 10:03am
smileandlisten & wayside, Welcome to the Cafe'! Hope you two have a Merry Christmas!

f#54
Dec-24-2009, 10:13am
My wife surprised me with a mandolin (Ibanez A model) 4 years ago for Christmas..and so it all started
I own 2 F models now, gave the Ibanez to a kid from Kentucky to learn on.
I am starting my second build ounce I get my wood for Christmas this year.
We are lucky guys, thanks to our wives

Ron Hale
Dec-24-2009, 12:00pm
Wayside and Smileandlisten
You are indeed "the lucky guy" on two fronts. First, you are so fortunate to have such a loving wife. I was taken by her post #3 of this thread. It touched my heart. She is truly your greatest gift.
Next, your new Rover RM 75 is considered by many of us who own them to be much more than a starter mandolin. They are such sleepers! When that thing begins to "come alive", you will know what the rest of us know about the amazing sound of these Rovers.
Thank you both for your heartwarming story. We look forward to hearing from you down the line. Have a safe trip and Merry Christmas.

Ronnie

Rick Schmidlin
Dec-24-2009, 12:03pm
Let us know what Santa delivers:mandosmiley:

and reaction, maybe a pic :)

wayside
Dec-24-2009, 6:29pm
Let us know what Santa delivers:mandosmiley:

and reaction, maybe a pic :)
My reaction was that of a nine year old who just received a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas. I have barely put it down since I opened it up...instructional DVD's are already on order. Truly amazing...here I am knocking on the door of Medicare and I find myself feeling like a kid at Christmas. The joy and wonder of music.

wayside
Dec-24-2009, 6:33pm
Wayside and Smileandlisten
You are indeed "the lucky guy" on two fronts. First, you are so fortunate to have such a loving wife. I was taken by her post #3 of this thread. It touched my heart. She is truly your greatest gift.
Next, your new Rover RM 75 is considered by many of us who own them to be much more than a starter mandolin. They are such sleepers! When that thing begins to "come alive", you will know what the rest of us know about the amazing sound of these Rovers.
Thank you both for your heartwarming story. We look forward to hearing from you down the line. Have a safe trip and Merry Christmas.

Ronnie
Ronnie,

Thank you for the kind words. You will, indeed, be hearing from me. My musical extended family has now gone beyond the boundaries of the guitar. Our trip tomorrow is to visit our grandchildren and I look forward to next year when the mandolin will accompany me on this yearly sojourn.

Capt. E
Dec-28-2009, 10:28am
Enjoy the wonderful mandolin journey. You may find yourself picking up a guitar less and less as you go along.

With all the comments I have seen lately about the Rover RM 75, I need to find one to try.