PDA

View Full Version : My New "The Loar" Distressed

Martin
Dec-06-2009, 9:15pm
Okay I picked this LM 600 up for $650.00 locally. I am very pleased with the quality of these mandolins. The first pic on the green couch is brand new untouched, the remainder are after I made changes and as well set it up with the strings (J75) I like.
The change in the finish is hard to see in these pics.
I used some 2000 wet/dry paper to knock down the finish than brought it back with with scothbrite and Meguiars polish. I used pc board etchant to distress the metal parts. I took the finish on the back of the neck down to the wood and then applied 7 coats of tung oil buffed to a smooth gloss between applications.

This has been a fun project for me, I've done this type of relicing or distressing to several electric guitars and have discovered as with most things in life the more you do this the better you get.
I'm sure after reading some of the threads regarding distressing mandolins that some would disagree and say that you never get better at it.

Any way here it is, please be gentle with me you know us ex Marines are very sensitive...

Caleb
Dec-06-2009, 10:09pm
I like it.

A lot.

(Sounds like you got it for a great price as well)

kirksdad
Dec-06-2009, 10:16pm
First, thanks for your service to our country.

Second, it looks pretty good. There has been a lot of feedback on how good these Loars are. If I was looking to purchase one of the PAC Rim mandos, I think Loar would be my choice.

Martin
Dec-07-2009, 9:55am
Thanks, Caleb and kirsdad,

This mando is built really well, the scroll is tighter than the one on my F9. I think I got a lot of mando for the dollars I spent, which I can't say for alot of the purchases I make.

Skip Kelley
Dec-07-2009, 11:46am
Martin, It looks good! Thank you for your service to our country!

SchlazzGraft
Dec-07-2009, 6:19pm
The distressing looks awesome! I've been dying to try one of these

billkilpatrick
Dec-09-2009, 8:31am
good price for a great mandolin - complimenti ... though i'll confess to you that i don't need an excuse like "distressing" to spend hours and hours, rubbing and hugging and fondling my loar.

Martin
Dec-09-2009, 10:14am
though i'll confess to you that i don't need an excuse like "distressing" to spend hours and hours, rubbing and hugging and fondling my loar.

Sounds like good advice Bill, Thanks