PDA

View Full Version : 1917 A-1 Tail Piece

pmadison
Dec-06-2009, 4:43pm
Looking for a Gibson A-1 tail piece, 1917, any comments for the authenticity of the following?

'Prucha Mandolin Tailpiece w/Gibson Logo - Nickel'

mandroid
Dec-06-2009, 6:04pm
Think that era used a Waverly Cloud , the cover shape is the thing .. no strap button on those ..

Mr Prucha, a Czech replica builder would be OK if you feel the logo is important ,
it has that I guess, [no picture linked or offered]
but he is not that old.

Id suggest a A James and drop the authenticity,(& trademarked logo) , get it because you are going tp play the heck out of it and the string changes are made easy with the hinged cover holding the loops on the pegs when you shut it.

pmadison
Dec-06-2009, 7:09pm
I have James on a couple of F's and really like them, hadn't considered the A-1 as a candidate. thanx will consider it.

p

Jim Garber
Dec-06-2009, 8:35pm
Think that era used a Waverly Cloud , the cover shape is the thing .. no strap button on those.

Sorry, I don't think that that is so. The only mandolins that used those were the A Juniors and maybe the Army-Navy. Check out this A1 from 1917 (from the archives).

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/images/32834_a1_full_face.jpg

Gail Hester
Dec-06-2009, 9:26pm
'Prucha Mandolin Tailpiece w/Gibson Logo - Nickel'

Those reproductions, available at Greg Boyd's, are a direct replacement. The cover does not fit as well as the originals but they work good enough while you look for an original.