PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Greenville AL's own Rock Killough

Roger Wheeler
Dec-06-2009, 4:14pm
Rock's great singer/songwriter. He was gracious enough to let me play on his song "Charlie Budd's Place". Here's a little of his bio:

Rock was playing in a lounge in Bradenton, Florida where he was discovered in 1976 by the legendary songwriter, Hank Cochran. Hank took Rock to Nashville and helped get him immediately signed as a staff writer at Tree Publishing Co. If you ask Rock what he does, he replies that he is a songwriter/singer. He will also tell you that these two are much like apples and oranges. So, for clarity we will take them separately.

As a songwriter, Rock has songs on 2 gold albums by The Oak Ridge Boys, 1 with Hank, Jr., and 3 with Sammy Kershaw. Rock has platinum albums by Hank, Jr. and Sammy Kershaw. Other artists who have recorded his songs are: Johnny Rodriguez (top 10 single), Brenda Lee (top 20 single), Jerry Jeff Walker, Jeannie Seeley, Mickey Newbury, Carole King, Waylon, Jeannie Pruett, Marty Raybon, 4-Runner and Randy Travis, who released Rock's "Where Can I Surrender" as a single in January, 2000.

Rock doesn't speak much of his musicianshhip but he has played guitar, harmonica or done background vocals with Hank, Jr., Merle Haggard, Mickey Newbury, Whitey Shafer, Jeannie Pruett, Hank Snow, Jack Green, and Jeannie Seely and numerous others. He also put a band together for his friend and mentor, Hank Cochran. Together they opened shows for Willie Nelson's summer and fall tour of 1980. During this time Rock appeared on the precedent settting first Songwriter's Special on "Austin City Limits". Actually, two episodes were made from this appearance which featured songwriters: Floyd Tillman, Sonny Throckmorton, Hank Cochran, Red Lane, Willie Nelson and Whitey Shafer, all of whom are now in the Songwriter's Hall of Fame. As a result of these experiences he produced an album on Hank which was released through Elektra Records. He also produced the musical soundtrack for the movie "Rukus" which was a forerunner of and covered somewhat the same subject matter as the first Rambo movie. The soundtrack featured Rock's friend Janie Frickie singing Hank and Willie songs.

David M.
Dec-07-2009, 12:39pm
Sure hate I missed that one, Roger. Bet it was fun. He's a great writer and I love some of those old songs.