PDA

View Full Version : French Broad Mandolins

Chuck Naill
Dec-05-2009, 1:04pm
Here are some photos from a new builder in East Tennessee, Gary Watson. He asked me to record a sound file and post a few photos of his latest creation.

http://www.hangoutstorage.com/flatpickerhangout.com/storage/audio/demo-of-fr-3898-5056105122009.mp3

Gary can be contacted here, garywatson2006@comcast.net

JEStanek
Dec-05-2009, 1:21pm
Nice playing on a goood looking mandolin, Chuck. Do you have any other information to share on this particular instrument, alll scratch built, kit, woods, finish, origin of the name? Maybe Gary could post if you don't know?

Jamie

Chuck Naill
Dec-05-2009, 1:42pm
Nice playing on a goood looking mandolin, Chuck. Do you have any other information to share on this particular instrument, alll scratch built, kit, woods, finish, origin of the name? Maybe Gary could post if you don't know?

Jamie

Jamie,

I called Gary and he is headed this way on a locomotive from Bristol to Knoxville. Yes, he is a railroad man.

Hopefully he can get to a computer sometime this evening and respond to you questions. I know he appreciates your interest in finding out about his building processes and materials he uses. :)

Daniel Nestlerode
Dec-05-2009, 2:36pm
And here I thought this thread was going to be a more specific version of the Women with Mandolins thread! :grin:

Nice lookin' mando Chuck!

Daniel

Skip Kelley
Dec-05-2009, 2:48pm
[QUOTE=Daniel Nestlerode;740671]And here I thought this thread was going to be a more specific version of the Women with Mandolins thread! :grin:

I'm with Daniel! I was hoping it was a thread of a French broad and a mandolin!!
It's still a nice mandolin!:grin:

mrmando
Dec-05-2009, 3:50pm
It's a geographical feature of some variety. There's a "French Broad Outlook" on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville, N.C.

Chuck Naill
Dec-05-2009, 4:27pm
[QUOTE=Daniel Nestlerode;740671]And here I thought this thread was going to be a more specific version of the Women with Mandolins thread! :grin:

I'm with Daniel! I was hoping it was a thread of a French broad and a mandolin!!
It's still a nice mandolin!:grin:

You guys. :redface::redface::redface: If it had been referring to women wouldn't I have written French Broads with mandolins?

BTW the French Broad River empties Western North Carolina with head waters near Brevard. As it meanders through the mountain gorges, passing the city of Asheville, it eventually converges with the Holston River near Knoxville becoming the Tennessee River.

Skip Kelley
Dec-05-2009, 5:11pm
I have actually been in the French broard river.:) Strange how my first thought was a female!?

JEStanek
Dec-05-2009, 6:16pm
Thanks for clearing that up Chuck. I found it hard to believe the name was about women!

Jamie

Patrick Hull
Dec-07-2009, 9:58am
My first thought was that anyone not from the area is not going to know that this mandolin is named after a river. Here in East Tenn it a common term. I always wondered where the river got its name.

Chuck Naill
Dec-07-2009, 10:10am
My first thought was that anyone not from the area is not going to know that this mandolin is named after a river. Here in East Tenn it a common term. I always wondered where the river got its name.

From what I have read, there were two Broad rivers in North Carolina. One flowed into the French Colonies designated the French Broad and the other into the English territories simply called the Broad River.

Tavy
Dec-07-2009, 11:58am
I just thought it refered to a fat mandolin made in France... Oh well... John.

mrmando
Dec-07-2009, 3:28pm
My first thought was that anyone not from the area is not going to know that this mandolin is named after a river. Here in East Tenn it a common term.
Yeah, it's not a real scalable brand name, is it? I guess Blueridge was already taken!

Chuck Naill
Dec-07-2009, 5:10pm
Yeah, it's not a real scalable brand name, is it? I guess Blueridge was already taken!

In this area several business using French Broad as a part of their brand. There is a French Broad Brewing Company http://www.frenchbroadbrewery.com/ in Asheville.

billhay4
Dec-07-2009, 5:20pm
I have kayaked this river many times and it passes through some beautiful country, especially around Hot Springs. However, the water quality is not very good at all, or wasn't ten years ago. This may be from Asheville, I am not sure.
The tributaries have better water quality and better whitewater, too.
It's a nice part of the world and I wouldn't give up the name if I were the maker.
Bill

Chuck Naill
Dec-07-2009, 5:34pm
I have kayaked this river many times and it passes through some beautiful country, especially around Hot Springs. However, the water quality is not very good at all, or wasn't ten years ago. This may be from Asheville, I am not sure.
The tributaries have better water quality and better whitewater, too.
It's a nice part of the world and I wouldn't give up the name if I were the maker.
Bill

I have paddled from Walnut to Hot Springs several times back in my open boat days. It's a long paddle for a c boat.

Frank Bell was not as bad as its reputation. :) Those hot springs were nice to. :whistling:

Gary Watson
Dec-07-2009, 11:42pm

Jamie

Jamie,
Thanks for your interest in my mandolins. The one Chuck did the sound bite with is my second. I found the quilted maple on ebay, the spruce came from Ted Davis. They are scratch built. I'm currently working on the third mandolin and a 5 string fiddle. As for the name, the French Broad River runs through my community in Knoxville.

Gary

j. condino
Dec-08-2009, 12:38am
I wouldn't think of swimming or boating in the French Broad river becaue of a whole bunch of water quality issues around here, but the French Broad brewery is just a few blocks from my shop- I've certainly jumped in head first there!

Gary- make sure you stop by for a visit the next time you pass through Asheville.

j.
www.condino.com

JEStanek
Dec-08-2009, 8:54am
Gary, thanks for the details and Welcome to the Mandolin Café!

Jamie