PDA

View Full Version : Washburn Jethro Burns F5 Model

idif
Feb-11-2004, 8:19am
Hi this is my first posting and I am a pure beginner ( button accordion is my instrument really ). I am about to choose a mando ( for bluegrass ) , and have only "messed " around doing scales with a friend's Oscar Schmidt F5 and on a Washburn Jethro Burns model ( which I love the looks and feel of. . but was concerned about volume ). I am definitely going to get a solid wood mando..but am torn between the JB model and a Michale Kelly ( which I've read rave reviews of ). Can anyone direct me to expert reviews on the Washburn JB model ..to learn how it compares with the MK mandos?.. BTW I am in Italy .. but am a U.S. citizen.

THANKS for any help and opinions of any sort. IDIF

DannyB
Feb-11-2004, 8:59am
idif, I had a Jethro Burns model M4S for about 23 years and the same problem with volume. I put a deer antler saddle and although it gave me more volume it also made it sound thinner. I haven't heard a MK but like you I've heard alot of good comments and reviews. The absolute best thing you can do if possible is to play an MK and see the difference yourself. I do however believe a Washburn or at least the older ones are a decent mandolin. Don't know if this helps you any but goodluck in whatever you decide.

idif
Feb-12-2004, 9:55am
Thanks for the info and for confirming my fears of low volume... though I'm no expert I heard that the earlier ( Japan made JB's ) were of higher quality than the current Korean production. I keep hearing pros and some cons on the MK's..but haven't found a viable alternative in an Fstyle price, quality and lookswise.. all advice welcome.. IDIF

Bobby Brite
Feb-13-2004, 1:21pm
Are you content on a F-style? The Weber Absoraka is a great mandolin with great volume and you can pick one up for just a little more than the higher end MK.

johnwalser
Feb-13-2004, 7:11pm
I had a Washburn Jethro Burns M6SW and thought it was nice. I got a Michael Kelly Firefly Flame last May and now have a Michael Kelly Oval on order. I will keep both Michael Kellys while the Washburn is long gone.
John

deaner
Feb-13-2004, 8:26pm
I had a Michael Kelly FS and traded it in on a MK Dragonfly. Local store has a Jethro Burns and also deal MKellys and every MK he had blew the JB away. If you do go with MK, you should by all means possible get one with the radiused fingerboard.

Just my opinion.

Deaner

diamond ace
Feb-13-2004, 10:05pm
I agree that you should play several of both and buy whatever suits and sounds good to you. I owned a JB model up until about a week ago. I sold it to get my new Yellowstone custom weber. It however was the best JB I have played and I have played about 5 or 6 of them. But anain it wasn't "stock", i put an ebony bridge and pric tailpiece on it. I still have my MK leggacy classic witch is a very good mandolin. It plays great and is loud. The tone is nice and low (witch I personaly like). Again it is not stock. I put a weber traditional style bridge and weber tail piece on it and that impoved it a whole lot. The JB models have started being built at a differnt factory than mine was, there are some differences in the neck and truss rod now that arent as good as the one I had. The MK has a radius fingerboard whitch I like but thats my preferance. good luck and I hope you find one you really like.

TonyP.
Feb-14-2004, 1:12am
The JB was my first "good" mando. Like you said though it wouldn't cut a BG band. It think the main problem mine had was it was overbuilt and the finish was way too thick. Mine was from back in the '80's. Long gone also and not missed at all. If you are concerned with price and sound I would look at other mando's than F's. They are way harder to build than say an A style so you will get more for the same price in an A, generally.

idif
Feb-14-2004, 4:08am
Wanted to thank you for all the advice.. Yes, I like the deeper tones..and probably an A mando ( price and soundwise ) is the answer. But, maybe that MK with increase volume and radiused fingerboard is the answer too. I have never heard an oval F style.. do they sound more like an A mando?

Thanks for anymore JB MK or other advice/ input.. this is very helpful .... IDIF

Dioptase
Feb-14-2004, 3:37pm
Idif,

If you're not dead set on an F-style mando, I'd really suggest you consider a nice A style. I recently upgraded from an MK Firefly to a used Gibson A-9. The used Gibson only runs a couple of hundred more than a new MK, and the difference in tone, playability, and overall satisfaction can't be measured. It's night and day.

There's a number of good A-styles out there at a price just above the level you're looking at. Keep your eyes open. If you must get an F style in this price range, chances are you're going to sacrifice a -lot- in the way of tone.

Good places to start would be Rigel, Breedlove, the A9, an Absaroka. There's a lot of smaller builders who make fine A styles that cost just a little more than these. I think Keith Newell has a new A style for sale.

And now that I'm playing my A9, I'm starting to wonder what all that fuss is over a scroll.

jimbob
Feb-22-2004, 6:19am
I just bought a JB slightly used and am quite satisfied. It sounds good and seems to have decent volume ( I am also a banjo picker...volume counts)...I don't know what a new one sells for but I paid right around $600 for mine. With a little set-up work, it plays great. I have not been playing long, and I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this site, and I know there are instruments of higher quailty, but for the right price, the JB is a good value...

Feb-22-2004, 11:27am
I believe the MK's definatley blow away the new Washburn Jethro Burns mandolin. As far as bang for the buck if you don't need a F model go with a good A model. Like the Gibson A-9 or the Rigel A+ Deluxe

tatwell
Feb-26-2004, 3:11pm
I also have a JB model Washburn, I am a new player and may not have the feel for what constitutes a good mandolin, but I like mine. I have had it for a bit over two months and play several hours everyday. Mine was bought new and was set up correctly when I got it, action nice and low and no buzzes, so no problems in that area. I have gone through a couple of string changes, put J74's on after a few weeks and they were a big improvement over whatever the original strings were. But the biggest improvement was when I went to J75's a few days ago. Much different and , to me, a louder, deeper sound. The only other thing I have done is to put some silencers on, and have a wood nymph on order.I do intend to upgrade to a better mandolin at some point in time, once my skills improve, but this mandolin has worked out well for me and I would buy it again.