PDA

View Full Version : Share your Greek licks here!

Sellars
Sep-03-2004, 1:13pm
Hi all!

I am going to participate in a greek music course next weekend. I have to study some music, and a thing that caught my ear is that there are a lot of patterns in greek music that you hear across songs, often in slight variations.

So I was thinking, maybe we could collect some here in tab or notation. I haven't transcribed any licks yet, but I hope to have time to do that comming week. In the mean time, please feel free to show everybody your favorite lick.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

R

Sellars
Sep-03-2004, 4:49pm
Ok, I did some research and according to my sources, these "lick" kind of things actually are quite important in Greek music.

I also found out that in principle one should learn these things from a personal teacher, and after you have learned them, learn to adapt them to your own style.

I hope it is still ok to ask this question?

Are there any purists out there with stong feelings about this subject?

Bob A
Sep-03-2004, 10:25pm
Victor Kioulaphides, who posts frequently in the classical section, has several transcriptions of Greek folk mandolin pieces, arranged for mandolin and guitar (but playable as mandolin solos) which he has had beautifully printed, and sells for ten bucks a throw. Highly recommended. He also has a multi-page paper on the modes of Rebetiko which is very informative regarding the structure of that flavor of outlaw music. I'm certain he'd email you a copy if you asked.

jeffshuniak
Sep-07-2004, 12:12pm
if you are looking for a bouzouki method book...

john demas has a bouzouki method book he wrote. he's a teacher at a small college in tampa. he sells them, I believe. I am not sure if its just for students, but he has a website. I think he sells them. just look him up by name...or his band name "omega project". I am lucky enough to live by him and I will start lessons with him soon. he gave my girlfriend lessons on guitar and has a guitar method book he also wrote- it was pretty nice, teaches some theory, it looked effective to me.. I didnt look too closely at it, once I discovered he wrote a zouk method, I became more interested with getting his phone number than the guitar book. anyway good luck if anyone's interested

jeffshuniak
Sep-07-2004, 12:15pm
www.johndemas.com

813-949-3409

Sellars
Sep-08-2004, 1:32am
Thanks jeff!

I'll look in to that one. I'm glad he makes a 3-string version, which by my knowledge, are pretty rare.

Ancient
Sep-08-2004, 11:22am
Does anyone have the mando tab to Zorba?

jeffshuniak
Sep-08-2004, 4:57pm
got some poorly written standard note.