PDA

View Full Version : Calton Cases

8strings
Nov-30-2009, 7:10pm
I would love to hear about your favourite Calton case exterior/interior combinations. Better still, JPG's would be fantastic. Thank you!

Mike Bunting
Nov-30-2009, 7:41pm
God gave you Google, why not use it?
http://www.caltoncases.com/

8strings
Nov-30-2009, 8:01pm
.... I have. Do you find the desktop colour charts very accurate?

Mike Bunting
Nov-30-2009, 8:24pm
I can only answer for mine cause I haven't paid much attention to anybody else's case. My 15 year old case is black with a wine interior which seems fairly close to what they show on the website today. I don't think that there were as many colour options in the last century. I'm more daring these days, my new Pegasus is daffodil yellow with a scarlet interior!

MikeEdgerton
Nov-30-2009, 9:58pm
You could check out these (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=calton&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=49&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) threads as well.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-01-2009, 12:01am
Personally,i like the combination of 'opposite' colours ie. green exterior / red interior or vice versa.
The same goes for yellow exterior / royal blue interior of the other way around. If i ever buy a Calton,i'll have one of those combos.,
Ivan:cool:

mandroid
Dec-01-2009, 12:35am
Got a Cal and the contents , used , happened to be white, It's got more bumperstickers on it now..

Favorite: Oscar Wilde from 'The Heretics Handbook of Quotations'

"Work is the curse of the drinking class " :))

Mandoist
Dec-01-2009, 9:53am
I prefer the AWSI case, as opposed to the Calton. Similar cases, but the AWSI offers slightly more protection.

Bought mine at the IBMA WOB in Louisville about 10 years ago. I could brag on it all day and night, but I won't.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-01-2009, 10:25am
Enlighten me, what is an AWSI case?

Bluman
Dec-01-2009, 12:23pm
When I purchased my Calton, the advice was for a lighter outer colour. The darker the case the hotter the inside of the case. I guess this is true for any case, but I thought it best because you just never know when you will be caught outside in the sun.

Denny Gies
Dec-01-2009, 12:38pm
Well, I like mine which is black with a red interior. I think they are superior cases.

newby
Dec-01-2009, 1:02pm
re: outer color -- would NOT buy a dark color again . . .

I have 4 Caltons: 3 mandolin, and 1 guitar. Two have a light outer color (1 white, 1 grey) and the other two are dark (1 brown, 1 Van Deusen blue). The brown came with my D-28, and a lotta scratches already.

The VD Blue I bought recently. I would NOT have bought the blue if I'd realized then what I do now : a darker color shows every scratch (and seems to attract sharp, scratchy objects!), while the lighter colors look as new.

IMO, about the only advantage of the VD Blue is its distinctive color -- I can always pick it out in a roomful of white Caltons.

Caltons are heavy, and way more protection than necessary most of the time BUT if your instrument is worth 10 or 15 time the value of the case, you need one.

PseudoCelt
Dec-01-2009, 7:04pm
I have a white Calton with a gold interior. I got it used with the mandolin and I wasn't keen on the colour scheme at first, but I've grown to like it. As Newby says, white doesn't show the scratches - unless you look very closely, it still looks pretty much brand new.

Patrick

barney 59
Dec-01-2009, 7:07pm
The Jackson Pollack

Jill McAuley
Dec-01-2009, 11:02pm
I always liked those Pegasus cases with the plaid lining meself...

Pseudocelt - I love the gold lining in your case! Is that a Shippey in there?

Cheers,
Jill

PseudoCelt
Dec-02-2009, 5:51am
I always liked those Pegasus cases with the plaid lining meself...

Pseudocelt - I love the gold lining in your case! Is that a Shippey in there?

Cheers,
Jill

Well spotted - it is a rosewood Shippey.

For another mandolin, I also have a daffodil Pegasus with Campbell of Argyll tartan interior. Similarly heavy, but a bit more comfortable to carry than a Calton. Expensive though.

Patrick

Baron Collins-Hill
Dec-02-2009, 9:24am
Yeah, whats an AWSI case?

Thanks,
Baron

Ray(T)
Dec-02-2009, 3:27pm
As I've previously said Patrick, Calton cases aren't particularly heavy - these are my range of cases -

TKL rectangular case (including blanket) weight - 3.915 Kgm
2008 Standard Calton case weight - 3.855 Kgm
Old Calton case (circa 198?) weight - 3.460 Kgm
Shuster case weight - 2.920 Kgm (you can find one of those in this post - http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...hlight=shuster)

What does your Pegasus weigh?
Ray

Mike Bunting
Dec-02-2009, 3:41pm
It was recommende to me by Don McRostie that the Pegasus tartan material might be a little harsh on a varnish finish.

PseudoCelt
Dec-02-2009, 6:57pm
As I've previously said Patrick, Calton cases aren't particularly heavy... What does your Pegasus weigh?
Ray
Thanks for that. My past experience is mostly with cheap wooden cases. I think I've only seen one TKL case and it was heavier than I'd expected.

Not sure what the Pegasus weighs. I don't have a way of weighing it at home, but there might be something I can use at work. Picking them up (empty), the Pegasus feels a bit heavier than the Calton, but there's not a huge difference. I've regularly walked for 30 minutes or more carrying either case with no problem, so they're not excessively heavy.

Patrick

acousticnotes
Dec-02-2009, 7:27pm
AWSI case?:popcorn:

woodwizard
Dec-02-2009, 7:40pm
I have a white Calton with a gold interior. I got it used with the mandolin and I wasn't keen on the colour scheme at first, but I've grown to like it. As Newby says, white doesn't show the scratches - unless you look very closely, it still looks pretty much brand new.

Patrick

NICE! That's the color scheme I would pick

Dusty
Dec-03-2009, 2:10pm
I have the bright blue with pewter interior. I wanted the bright color so I could see it all the way across the grounds from on stage if somebody decided to make off with that sucker while I was playing. I got that idea when I saw Ron Mc with a bright red one years ago at IBMA. They were cheaper then but you still wanted to keep tabs on them.

Dusty
Dec-03-2009, 2:17pm
Anthony Williams, Josh's dad, use to get the calton cases and then put his metal label on the cases. This was to personalize the case and not, at all, meant to imply his company produced the case. It was the label where the serial number is located. He put one on mine with serial number and my name on it. I don't know if that is what was interpreted as an AWSI case, but his tags did say AWSI for Anthony Williams Systems, Inc. Maybe that will help, but if not, I don't mean to cloud the issue. If there is a real AWSI and it is a better priced case we all want to hear more about it. Hope this helps.

Mike Bunting
Dec-03-2009, 3:03pm
My Calton had a metal tag with my name and a serial number on riveted on when I bought it back in the last century. Not possible I guess when you by through a retail outlet.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-03-2009, 3:08pm
They all have the metal tag with the serial number. At times the retailers name is engraved on the tag. My tag has the serial number and no name.