PDA

View Full Version : Combination A-Mando/Violin Case

buckles
Nov-30-2009, 11:54am
Hi.... does anyone have recommendations on a good case for this combo of instruments? The smaller the better. Are these small enough for airplane carry-on? And.... the big question, anyone know where I can get one today, November 30, in the Bay Area (it doesn't hurt to ask...:))...)

JeffD
Nov-30-2009, 4:00pm
Bobelock, and Guardian, and others make them. I think they may be too big for carry on. And they are pretty heavy, being usually 12 lbs or just under.

Tim2723
Nov-30-2009, 6:24pm
I have the Guardian model. My opinion: If you want to save space, get two compact cases. These things are as big as a Pullman suitcase and are heavier than two separate cases combined. The interior compartments are next to useless, and due to the arching of the top, the outside pocket isn't as useful as you'd expect.

While I never tried it, I too believe they won't do for carry-on luggage.

buckles
Nov-30-2009, 6:47pm
I called up the airline and explained the situation, saying that I want to carry on two instruments, a violin in form-fitting oblong case and a mandolin. That the two instruments together take up less space than many people's carry-on bags. She suggested I get a small duffle and put both instruments in it, since the policy is that you are allowed only one carry-on bag. Got a duffle from REI, raring to go. :)

mandroid
Nov-30-2009, 8:02pm
Get to the boarding gate early, to have your stuff, stuffed into the OHC .. first.

buckles
Nov-30-2009, 8:15pm
Ordinarily I travel only with a fiddle (haven't been playing mando that long). Ordinarily I arrive early, go up to the agent at the counter and explain that I'm traveling with a violin. I then ask if, after all the first class and elite access passengers have been boarded, I can be allowed to board when the passengers in the last rows are called. This means there'll be room in the overhead for a fiddle. In all cases except twice this has worked fine. In the two cases when I had trouble, I met an agent who told me that if I wanted to board when the last row is called, I should get myself a seat in the last row; otherwise, she says, it wouldn't be fair to the other passengers. I explained to her that I have checked my bag so as to take up less room, that all I have is a small fiddle case, compared to the often large bags and other paraphernalia people are schlepping on board. I couldn't budge this particular agent. I still found room in the overhead, though, even though the plane was sold out. I think if I had had to put the violin in baggage I would have skipped the flight.