PDA

View Full Version : What do I have?

Cascadebg
Nov-26-2009, 1:12am
I think I have a 1916 Gibson A model. This is only based on google search of pic's and info I have found. The serial # is 22098, and everything on the label is done in pencil.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/logger_b/Modelgibson005.jpg

mrmando
Nov-26-2009, 2:37am
The bridge is a replacement and the tailpiece cover is missing, and in this photo the top looks pretty flat when it should be arched. But yeah, it's a Gibson A.

Ooh... did someone glue the bridge on?

Cascadebg
Nov-26-2009, 12:17pm
The bridge is a replacement and the tailpiece cover is missing, and in this photo the top looks pretty flat when it should be arched. But yeah, it's a Gibson A.

Ooh... did someone glue the bridge on?

Yea! the tailpiece cover is missing. The top has a slight arch, and the bridge is not glued down. LOL! I put it in place for the photo.

The mando has seen a lot of playing, and the frets and board have seen better days.

Thanks for confirming the mando as being an A model.I needed to know, as I'm ready to advertise it for sale, and needed to know what I'm selling..lol! BG

mrmando
Nov-26-2009, 2:45pm
Before selling it, I would take it somewhere and have an inspection and basic setup performed. It is hard to tell from one photo, but if the top has lost some of its arch, that's potentially a very bad thing. It could well mean that the transverse brace is loose on the inside, and if that's not fixed the top could sink further and eventually collapse. A good repair person can check this out, glue the brace if it's loose, and assess whether it needs additional repair. Once that's done, it can be strung up and adjusted for correct action/playability.

Taking these steps can increase the amount of money you can expect to get out of the instrument. Most potential buyers will be looking for a mandolin that's playable and doesn't need repairs right off the bat.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-26-2009, 3:44pm
The bridge shouldn't be glued down.

mrmando
Nov-26-2009, 3:52pm
No, it shouldn't, but since it was in place without any strings to hold it there, I thought I'd better ask!

I used to own this 1917 K1; it has a lot of surface damage in the bridge area ... best I could tell, someone had glued a bridge down at one point and it had to be removed later.

http://www.neiljdeanmandolins.com/images/1.JPG