PDA

View Full Version : Going to Opryland

Kevin Briggs
Nov-23-2009, 9:49pm
Hi, everyone.

I am taking a trip to Nashville and am staying at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel. I assume that this is close to the Gibson Showcase, and I am interested in a basic setup.

Can anyone help me with how to get a hold of the people at the Showcase for this service?

MikeEdgerton
Nov-23-2009, 9:54pm
It's right across the parking lot. Send a PM to Dave Harvey at Gibson here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/member.php?u=134).

Mandoist
Nov-24-2009, 10:53am
I'd leave my T-shell in the hotel room. The Fish & Wildlife witch hunters may still be in town.

While you're at it...be on the lookout for any disgruntled Gibson ex-employees! The Feds didn't just pull Gibson's name out of the phone book, me thinks?

Big Joe
Nov-24-2009, 12:38pm
Kevin...If they don't have time we are only about 3 miles from them and easy to find. We can do it while you are here. You would want to contact Jackie Miller or Danny Roberts. They are in the repair department, Dave is in the production department.

Jim Garber
Nov-24-2009, 3:08pm
I was in Nashville many, many years ago and the only thing I enjoyed at Opryland was the Roy Acuff Museum which housed his instrument collection. I just googled the museum and there doesn't seem to be a trace. Anybody know where it went and the instruments he had?

MikeEdgerton
Nov-24-2009, 3:14pm
I was in Nashville many, many years ago and the only thing I enjoyed at Opryland was the Roy Acuff Museum which housed his instrument collection. I just googled the museum and there doesn't seem to be a trace. Anybody know where it went and the instruments he had?

It's still on the grounds of the Opry, or it was two years ago. Some of his stuff might have ended up at the Country Music Hall of Fame as well.

All I could find was this (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2741323-grand_ole_opry_museum_nashville-i).

Kevin Briggs
Nov-24-2009, 3:27pm
Joe,

Thanks for the offer. I already spoke with you today! I was the Kevin that called about my Weber Fern and getting a setup. We had a discussion about setup and the pros and cons of various bridges.

It will be in town from Dec. 29 - Jan. 1. I'll call you on Dec. 29, which I think we said is a Wednesday.

By the way everyone, we'll be at the Old Crow Medicine Show concert at the Ryman on New Year's Eve. I'm excited about that twan for sure!

f5loar
Nov-24-2009, 5:51pm
I've got some of ole Roy's museum "stuff" hanging on my walls at home. It went under long ago but I think the Opry museum which is pretty good is still there across from the Grand Ole Opry entrance. I'm sure the CMHF did get some of it too but the bad thing about them is they only have on display about 1/4 of their stuff. The rest of it is put away in storage. They got Loars and Ferns just sitting there in their vaults never to make music again.

John Gass
Nov-24-2009, 6:33pm
I would HIGHLY recommend Big Joe's! I was down there last week and randomly dropped by and he put on a new Cumberland Acoustic's bridge and setup my Loar LM-700 for a great price and it a super quick turnaround!! Go see Joe!

Rob Powell
Nov-24-2009, 6:34pm
Joe,

Thanks for the offer. I already spoke with you today! I was the Kevin that called about my Weber Fern and getting a setup. We had a discussion about setup and the pros and cons of various bridges.

It will be in town from Dec. 29 - Jan. 1. I'll call you on Dec. 29, which I think we said is a Wednesday.

By the way everyone, we'll be at the Old Crow Medicine Show concert at the Ryman on New Year's Eve. I'm excited about that twan for sure!

Just have Joe's shop do it. No fuss, no muss and I'll testify it's a good one.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-24-2009, 9:22pm
...I'm sure the CMHF did get some of it too but the bad thing about them is they only have on display about 1/4 of their stuff. The rest of it is put away in storage. They got Loars and Ferns just sitting there in their vaults never to make music again.

When you look down through the windows at all those tagged cases it really makes you wonder what they have inside them.

Big Joe
Nov-24-2009, 11:43pm
Years ago we worked on about 40 instruments from the Roy Acuff museum. There were some interesting pieces for sure. Many had been left to dry out for many, many years and required quite a bit of work. I still have pics of many of them in one of my photo albums. Too bad they are not still on display. I think museums are great, but it is a shame they let so many of the instruments go to pot over time. The Country Music Hall of Fame has that problem from time to time.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-25-2009, 1:49am
Quote from f5Loar - ''They got Loars and Ferns just sitting there in their vaults never to make music again''. . To my mind,that's utter sacrilege. If any of those instruments are in good condition with regard to their playability & tone,then they should be used as many great Violins &
other famous 'classical' stringed instruments, & be made available to our premier players to use 'on loan' or conversely,offered for sale. What a despicable waste !!!,
Ivan:mad:

Rob Powell
Nov-25-2009, 6:01pm
I would HIGHLY recommend Big Joe's! I was down there last week and randomly dropped by and he put on a new Cumberland Acoustic's bridge and setup my Loar LM-700 for a great price and it a super quick turnaround!! Go see Joe!

Hey John...not to hijack Kevin's thread but...the CA bridge is something I've considered for my LM-700...how do you like it?

kirksdad
Nov-25-2009, 7:01pm
Kevin:

You should try to get to the Country Music Hall of Fame downtown, I'm sure you'd get a kick out of it.

I love the Gibson showcase

f5loar
Nov-26-2009, 12:01am
The CMHF is a must see for first timers to Music City USA but don't expect much on bluegrass music. The little glass case they have on bluegrass is pitiful, just pitiful.
It's kinda how Nashville feels about bluegrass music in Nashville...... one little showcase and one little nightclub that has bluegrass.

mandolirius
Nov-26-2009, 12:43am
They got Loars and Ferns just sitting there in their vaults never to make music again.

Is this true? How many Loars and Ferns, any idea?

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-26-2009, 12:44am
Another good reason to divorce Nashville from Bluegrass Music (apart from the Station Inn of course),
Ivan

Big Joe
Nov-27-2009, 1:01am
That is not indicative of Nashville as a whole. Lots of grassers here and lots of interest. Most think of Nashville as just country, but believe me, it is very eclectic in its tastes and Bluegrass is one of the favored flavors. Like many areas, it is a great genre in a great city, but often it is played for the enjoyment or love of it rather than just money.

John Gass
Nov-27-2009, 5:07pm
Hey John...not to hijack Kevin's thread but...the CA bridge is something I've considered for my LM-700...how do you like it?

It is an absolutely great investment. Seems to hold tune better and the tone now is even sweeter than before! Highly recommend it!

tburcham
Nov-28-2009, 10:08am
Kevin,

I had Big Joe put the Cumberland Acoustic bridge on my Weber Yellowstone (with fret dress and Pro setup). It has never played or sounded better. Best money you'll spend on your mandolin.