PDA

View Full Version : Berklee Unveils New American Roots Program

NewsFetcher
Nov-23-2009, 6:05pm
Berklee Unveils New American Roots Program
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001153.shtml

When Mark O'Connor performs at Berklee College of Music on Dec. 10 with a group of faculty and students, he'll be celebrating more than the end of his week-long residency. He'll introduce Berklee's new American Roots Music Program, directed by Matt Glaser.

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. Note that the addition of images, videos, links and other coding is turned OFF for this area.

journeybear
Nov-23-2009, 6:39pm
Is our own John McGann involved in this program? Seems to me 'twould be wise to include him ... ;-)

Scott Tichenor
Nov-23-2009, 7:09pm
You might want to try reading the article before you criticize :).

journeybear
Nov-23-2009, 10:44pm
You misunderstood. I saw Mr. McGann is ON the program (for the concert); I was wondering whether he was involved IN the program - ie, teaching. I have an understandable desire to see mandolin included in a roots music program at a prestigious school such as Berklee.

John McGann
Nov-24-2009, 7:27am
You misunderstood. I saw Mr. McGann is ON the program (for the concert); I was wondering whether he was involved IN the program - ie, teaching. I have an understandable desire to see mandolin included in a roots music program at a prestigious school such as Berklee.

Thanks, totally involved, everything I do is under that roots music umbrella:

• Private lessons on mandolin and guitar
• Celtic Music Ensemble
• Django Reinhardt/Gypsy Jazz Ensemble
• Mandolin Chord Lab
• String Improv Skills Lab (Bluegrass, Celtic and Swing)
• Bluegrass Guitar Lab

Also the Summer Five Week Program (string theory and bluegrass ensemble), Acoustic String Festival, and a variety of concerts, workshops (hosted Mike Marshall, Chris Thile, Tommy Peoples and Matt Flinner among others). Lots going on for mandolin at Berklee, we have around 23 principals at the moment and lots more doublers (including bass/mandolin!)

Mandolin has been an instrumental principal at Berklee since 2004, and mandolinists can take advantage of anything offered at the school...we have mandolinists majoring in performance (natch), film scoring, music therapy, trad composition, jazz composition, music technology, music education, you name it...

journeybear
Nov-24-2009, 8:55am
Thanks for taking the time to post all that info, John, and thanks for your contributions there. It is very gratifying to know that mandolin has that much of a presence there, and in so many genres and applications. I did also want to say the program has an outstanding board of advisors. I hope this becomes a successful and permanent part of the curriculum.

Good luck with your concert there!

Charlieshafer
Nov-24-2009, 6:44pm
This is a great idea. For a few years now, we've had a number of Berklee grads (or near grads) perform at our concert series, as either leaders of a band or part of a band, and to formalize it into a full-fledged program is great. The talent level is awesome, both in faculty and students, so it'll be great to see what sort of talent they turn out over the next few years. A program like this is long overdue, and I'm sure will draw a number of students from out side the bowed-stringed instrument persuasion that we're most familiar with now. Good Luck!!

JGWoods
Nov-25-2009, 3:19pm
The 2009 Lowell Banjo and Fiddle Contest was pretty much swept by Berklee students, former students, or students to be. The level of talent exhibited there was beyond anything I have heard in 45 years of playing Old Time music.
The program may be new but the students are already there to help it thrive.