PDA

View Full Version : CMSA Convention 2004

Jonathan Rudie
Sep-02-2004, 9:56am
Classical Mandolin Society of America - 2004 convention, November 17-21, 2004, at the Sheraton Society Hill in downtown historic Philadelphia. #Any members of this group plan to attend?

vkioulaphides
Sep-02-2004, 10:04am
Oh, how I wish I could! Having said that, weekends are prime working time for professional musicians and the cost of not working TWO consecutive ones —I am in fact participating in Carlo Aonzo's New York Workshops the weekend before—#would be too much for my budget to bear. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Perhaps when I retire, a.k.a. when I mutate from professional bass-player to full-time, amateur mandolinist... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Enjoy every bit of it! My wildest dream is that I can at least drop by for a day...

Jim Garber
Sep-02-2004, 10:13am
I plan to attend, tho I may have to do some commuting for the 2-3 hour trip or miss some of the weekday activities and maybe stay over night just on the weekend. I will also be at Carlo's workshop (glad to see that Victor will be there again) so it will be Mandolin month!

We should have some identifying marks for the participants of this group. Hmmmm... tee shirts? Buttons?

It will be great to meet some of you folks in person (besides the ones I have met already).

Jim

Bob A
Sep-02-2004, 8:35pm
I've been tempted to drop by; it would mean taking off a week of work (my workweek running from Fri AM thru Sun midnite), and I hadn't realised Aonzo would be doing a thing the week before. Pity he isn't doing his thing as part of the convention. Or is he?

Anyway, now I'm awash in Italian bowlbacks, I've been tempted to get some moustache wax, and go for the heavily-sculpted topiary look. Perhaps that'd be a good ID?

Jim Garber
Sep-02-2004, 9:27pm
Carlo will be at the Convention also but will be doing a fragment of what he does in the workshop. Were you planning to attend one or the other?

I will definitely be at both, tho I am not sure if I can do all of CMSA.

Jim

etbarbaric
Sep-02-2004, 9:51pm
My recollections of CMSA from several years ago are fond... great people... great parties... but rather light on the "classical" mandolin content. Have things changed?

margora
Sep-03-2004, 5:55am
I expect to be at CMSA, most likely Friday-Sunday. If enough are interested, perhaps we could get together for some sight-reading.

Eugene
Sep-03-2004, 7:11am
I'm still half hoping to make it, but on a new job with more responsibility, I'm kinda expecting to not.

Jonathan Rudie
Sep-03-2004, 7:23am
To help indentify each other perhaps we will need "Order of the Bowl" pins or insignia.

Jim Garber
Sep-03-2004, 8:27am
I will get working on it!
Jim

Jim Garber
Sep-03-2004, 9:52am
I expect to be at CMSA, most likely Friday-Sunday. #If enough are interested, perhaps we could get together for some sight-reading.
Hi Bob:
I would certainly be up for it. I can bring some sheet music -- duets, quartets, etc. depending on how many of us there are. LMK if you have anything particular in mind.

Jim

margora
Sep-03-2004, 5:35pm
Jim: on sightreading, I have no strong preferences as to material, Gervasio or other baroque is fine, or Calace/Munier duets, quartets whatever. Most likely I will have just a mandolin but I might bring a classical guitar -- or I can play one if there is one to borrow. If we can find a mandola and a cello (or I find/bring a guitar) we could do quartets.

Jim Garber
Sep-03-2004, 6:22pm
Jim: on sightreading, I have no strong preferences as to material, Gervasio or other baroque is fine, or Calace/Munier duets, quartets whatever. # Most likely I will have just a mandolin but I might bring a classical guitar -- or I can play one if there is one to borrow. #If we can find a mandola and a cello (or I find/bring a guitar) we could do quartets.
I believe that Chaim Caron will be there and I can find out whether he would play cello and I bet there will be a mandola... Bratsche? Linda B?

I have Munier duets, Gervasio and some Munier for three mandolins plus other assorted things.

Jim

bratsche
Sep-03-2004, 6:48pm
I wish... but unfortunately, I'm not in an economic bracket which allows the taking of pleasure-trips. Especially not in November, when, after a long period of few or no playing gigs, they finally start up again.

I would, however, be thrilled to help out in designing a t-shirt or button for y'all! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

bratsche, (who is [im]patiently waiting for a now-stalled Hurricane Frances...)

margora
Sep-03-2004, 6:55pm
Jim: we'll touch base on this again closer to the actual date.

Jim Roberts
Sep-05-2004, 10:24am
Is the music for CMSA written in both standard notation and tablature?

Jonathan Rudie
Sep-06-2004, 1:51pm
Hi Robert,

What is the opus # and name of the Calace duets (2 mandos) you have? #
Jonathan

Jim Garber
Sep-06-2004, 2:17pm
Not to butt in... the Calace Duets I have is Op. 98. I first heard it on that recording by Alison Stephens and Sue Mossop mentioned on another thread.

Jonathan, I assume that you will also be at CMSA?

Jim

Jonathan Rudie
Sep-06-2004, 2:29pm
Hi Jim,

Yes I will be at CMSA. It will nice to get to meet you and other members of this board in person.

Jonathan

margora
Sep-06-2004, 3:10pm
Hi Grazioso: I don't have any Calace duets, I was referring to Jim's collection. I do have a fair amount of music for mandolin duo, most of which is baroque, some of which is modern (eg. Hans Gal)

Jonathan
Sep-06-2004, 10:19pm
Hmm... it appears that there is more than one Jonathan on this board. One goes by the monicker of Grazioso, the other is me, Jonathan Jensen of the Baltimore Mandolin Quartet. I will definitely be at the convention, and would be happy to participate in any sight-reading sessions that might happen, on mandola or mandocello. I look forward to meeting the witty and articulate denizens of this little virtual community - including the other Jonathan.

Jim Garber
Sep-06-2004, 10:27pm
Yes, Jonathan, I made the same mistake some time ago. I thought I was emailing you and asked if your address had changed. There is always room for more Jonathans, IMHO.

Hey we may have an impromptu read-a-thon in the works.

This being my first CMSA convention: do I guess that in spite of the name of the organization, we players and enthusiasts of the classical mandolin are in the minority?

Jim

Jonathan Rudie
Sep-07-2004, 6:43am
Hi Jim,

Although my CMSA experience is limited (two years) I think you will find the convention very enjoyable and informative. Plenty of players with interest in classical mandolin will be found.

The other Jonathan

mysticfaery
Sep-13-2004, 10:14am
[B]I don't know anything about the CMSA,but did print a application to join. Is it worthwhile joining? (I don't mean that in a snotty sense-just never joined anything like this before)

Jonathan Rudie
Sep-14-2004, 7:48am
Hi Mystic,

I think the CMSA convention is reason alone to join. At the convention you will have the opportunity to take workshops from some of the word's best classical mandolinists and also meet many nice people. The workshops run throughout the day and are very well run and informative. Friendly folks and jams also abound.

Jim Garber
Sep-24-2004, 8:12am
The Eastman rep, Gordon, who posts and reads this board, posted this elsewhere:

Jgarber,
The CMSA Convention sounds like it might be something we should be attending and it's in Philly which is just a couple of hours drive from us. I went to the website to see who I should contact about a booth but there didn't seem to be anyone listed for me to contact. Do you have any info that might help. Sounds like a fun weekend.
Gordon

I wrote with contact info and encouraged him to bring some of those bowlback cases for us to try.

Jim

Bob A
Sep-26-2004, 10:07am
Attending for a day or two might be possible, but just what day(s)? I find no schedule posted.

Jim Garber
Sep-26-2004, 10:38am
I have a feeling that they haven't firmed up the schedule as yet or just haven't relayed the info to Scott to post on the site.

Jim

Jim Roberts
Sep-27-2004, 8:57pm
Are they sending out a practice CD with this years music?

Jim Garber
Sep-27-2004, 9:14pm
I see that registration forms are now available here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cmsa/convention.html).

Jim

Jim Roberts
Sep-27-2004, 9:56pm
Thanks, I already have a registration form...I'm just hoping they're sending out practice CD's (like at Mandofest) as my standard notation reading skills have been moth-balled for years!

Jonathan
Oct-11-2004, 10:01pm
Is anyone in need of a roommate at the CMSA convention hotel?
If so, I'm easygoing, sociable, ready to jam at a moment's notice (especially after hours) and will be bringing a couple of nice bowlback mandolas, as well as a mandocello.
Victor, are you planning to drop by for a day? It would be great to meet a fellow EADG/GDAE doubler (or is it dabbler?)

Jonathan Jensen

Eugene
Oct-12-2004, 7:58am
I am so pining for this bit o' mandocomradery, but there is just no way I can make the time. I am solidly booked 18-21 November. Please enjoy a plucky conversation and a pint of stout for me.

vkioulaphides
Oct-12-2004, 10:26am
I don't see how I could, Jonathan. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

I WILL be there in spirit, though...

Much madness in my life right now.

JimD
Oct-16-2004, 10:44am
You guys are killing me. I am having another one of those "so close, yet so far" experiences.

My wife and I have performances in Virginia on Saturday and will be driving past Philadelphia twice (once in each direction) during CMSA.

Please give me all the details afterwards...

Jim Garber
Oct-16-2004, 11:45am
jimD:
You must stop by for a pit stop and to play a few tunes. We have a chair warmed up for you. Give a holler when you are in the area. I heard the bathrooms are quite nice...

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Jim

JimD
Oct-17-2004, 3:01pm
You must stop by for a pit stop and to play a few tunes. We have a chair warmed up for you. Give a holler when you are in the area.

So tempting! But, alas, we'll need to make good time and probably can't take the chance. You know what will happen. I'll start having a great time and stay too long.

I have classes to teach in Boston on Thurs. and Mon. and concerts in Virginia on Saturday. We refuse to fly with our instruments (burned once...) -- so, it's the Jesey Turnpike etc.

Well...have a great time and I'll have to catch you all at the next one. Any idea where and when that will be?

Jim Garber
Oct-17-2004, 3:23pm
Let's all meet Jim at the Samuel Siegel Service Center on the NJ Turnpike with our instruments. We could play for a few minutes. Time enough for some Munier? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jim

JimD
Oct-17-2004, 3:42pm
Then we can grab a bite at the Embergher King...

(Sorry--That's a bad one even for me.)

Jim Garber
Oct-21-2004, 5:06pm
I am looking to share a room for just Saturday night. If anyone either has a room or is willing to share, LMK.

Jim

french
Oct-22-2004, 12:45pm
my mandolin teacher has just given me calace's 12 duets to start to learn. i would love to get hold of a recording of these.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

- tom

Jim Garber
Oct-22-2004, 2:25pm
I am not aware of any commercial recordings of these. I believe these duets are meant for the beginning player.

from the calace site:

05 DUE MANDOLINI
(Per studio)

n 96 Fascicolo primo EU. 6,50
n 97 Fascicolo secondo EU. "
n 98 Fascicolo terzo EU. 8,00

Jim

Eugene
Oct-22-2004, 2:51pm
Op. 98 was recorded by Alison Stephens and Sue Mossop on Music for Mandolin.

Jim Garber
Nov-14-2004, 6:45am
I will be there on just Saturday and Sunday, Just so I don't miss meeting you folks, LMK if you will be there. Maybe we can figure out some sort of identifying thing. I was going to make some buttons but not sure if I will have time to do it and mail it out.

I know that Jonathan Rudie, Jonathan Jensen, Robert Margo and John Goodin will be there. Anyone else who contributes to this list?

It'll be great to meet, schmooze mandolins and even play in person.

Best
Jim

margora
Nov-14-2004, 8:01am
I'll be there Thursday early afternoon-Sunday morning. Looking forward to it!

Mandolin Fan
Nov-14-2004, 9:42am
I'll be at CMSA from Wednesday-Sunday...I have a double non- smoking room.....I am looking to share a room!
Dave Folta

Eugene
Nov-18-2004, 1:11pm
Now it's underway, I'm eager for report.

Jonathan Rudie
Nov-21-2004, 8:12pm
Any post CMSA 2004 Convention game reports? Likes, dislikes, commentary?

margora
Nov-21-2004, 8:33pm
I had a good time. I played Victor's "Differencias" in the competition and while I didn't win, I was happy with the performance and I received many positive comments after about the piece (Bravo Victor!). I bought LOTS of music from Plucked String + the new Gertrud Troester solo CD and tried out many fine mandolins. The concerts were enjoyable as was the "En Masse" orchestra very ably conducted by Jim Bates. It was a special pleasure to participate in the American premiere of one of Yasuo Kuwahara last pieces, "Pear Shaped Dance" which can be described as the mandolin orchestra equivalent of Ravel's "Bolero" (if you can imagine). I made some new friends, met several people who contribute to this space, including Jim Garber, with whom I played several enjoyable duets (Jim on mando, me on mando and guitar) on Saturday.

margora
Nov-21-2004, 8:58pm
Addendum: I should have said the new Gertrud Weyhofen CD.

Eugene
Nov-21-2004, 9:23pm
What rep is on Gertrud's new disc?

margora
Nov-21-2004, 10:11pm
The new Gertrud Weyhofen CD, entitled "Piccola Musica", entirely solo mandolin, has pieces by Seiji Nawata ("Sakura"), "Preludio #1,#2" by Jose Antonio Zambrano, the complete "Estampes" by Juan Carlos Munoz, six pieces by Calace (including "Piccola Gavotta"), and other pieces by Francia, Straub, and Berruti. It is outstanding. Plucked String had it so I assume you can order it, it is also listed in Trekel's on-line catalog.

margora
Nov-21-2004, 10:32pm
One other note on CMSA: There was a small Gibson display with an announcement that a Gibson "classical mandolin" was under consideration. This would not be a bowlback. This would be a carved back, top, f-holes, A-model.

Jim Garber
Nov-22-2004, 10:25am
I just made it to CMSA for the last 1.5 days (Sat and Sun). It was worth it tho. I had a very nice time playing a few duets with Bob Margo, who is quite the played on both guitar and mandolin. After that we had lunch, sitting with a crew from the San Diego orchestra.

I played in the En Masse orchestra conducted by Jim Bates who deserves a large amount of credit for keeping over 200 musicians under control -- esp considering that the bulk of them were mandolinists. I particularly enjoyed an arrangement done by our own Jonathan Jensen from the Baltimore orchestra of Ellington's Come Sunday.

The evening concert was first the En Masse orchestra, then Carlo Aonzo. Carlo played a duet with a 12 year old boy named Bryce who is quite the mandolinist for his age. Then Jonathan Jensen backed up Carlo on two Calace pieces: Bolero and VI Mazurka.

The final part of Carlo's performance was a small orchestra composed of many of the CMSA illuminati/ They played Vivaldi's Concerto in Am.

After that the Munier Orchestra (the hosts of the convention played. Of note, was the fact they they have among them members of a large spread in age: the aforementioned Bryce as well as a gentleman who just turned 100.

The final segment was Marilynn Mair who played with a few variations of her ensemble Enigmata. I had to be elsewhere during that segment and only heard the first two pieces.

It was a fine gathering. Like Bob I connected with a few folks who I had only met online as well as quite a few folks who I met for the first time. Some people even came up to saying they were lurkers on this board but read my postings. Semi famous, I am.

Unfortunately, I missed the contest which Bob played Victor's piece and Tamara was gone the day before. Also, the Plucked String table was packed up before I had a chance to look at anything. I would have bought a stack. Oh well.

There were quite a few bowlback players. I managed to get a coupol of pictures of two Calaces which I will post on the Post a Picture of Your Bowlback (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=14185;st=125) thread.

Jim

John Goodin
Nov-22-2004, 11:34am
Brief report: this was another excellent CMSA meeting. I heard Bob Margo's beautiful rendition of "Differencias" during the competition and had the pleasure of being his stand partner in the orchestra. He did a great job both in playing his part and keeping me on task. I'm sorry I didn't meet Jim but there was a lot going on. Saturday morning in particular was full with a 9:00 workshop on Irish mandolin by Mick Moloney, a 10:00 session on choro with Marilyn Mair and an 11:00 workshop with Carlo Aonzo.

Carlo was the "star" of this conference. His workshops and concert appearances were truly inspiring. On Thursday night he led his impromptu mandolin orchestra in a great performance of the Vivaldi C major concerto and then on Sat. he led the same group through the A minor violin concerto that some of us might know from the Suzuki violin books.

I won't go on at length but will say that I'm seriously sleep-deprived from several really fun late night jam sessions including a very special one where dozens of us spent some time sight-reading Russell Foster arrangements.

One especially sad note was that Norman Levine was hospitalized on Friday (I think) after appearing pretty seriously ill the first couple of days. Maybe someone who has official information on Norman's condition can keep us informed via this message board?

John Goodin

Eugene
Nov-22-2004, 12:00pm
I am envious of all y'all...but only a little. I spent the last couple days tending to Ana Vidovic (http://www.anavidovic.com/) and enjoying her in concert and master class.

Jim Bates lives and works in my home town now. I'm off to write him for his thoughts.

My best wishes go to Norman. I hope he's OK.

margora
Nov-22-2004, 12:03pm
Jim + John: thanks for the compliments! John, a great pleasure being your stand partner (you are a great player), we will have to do it again some time (next year?). I would have joined in on the sight reading (which I love to do) but it was past my bedtime! Carlo is a very expressive, explosive player (Paganini-esque is the adjective that comes to mind); his conception is very different from Gertrud Weyhofen's (or other German players) but equally valid and obviously true to himself. The Vivaldi concerti work very well in these arrangements for (small) plucked ensemble; I also liked his "Piccolo Gavota" on Thursday night, he really captured the essence of that piece.
I, too, share the concern for Norman's health; haven't heard a thing.
Among my sheet music purchases, I have had a chance to play through a few: (1) Ernesto Cordero, "Improvisation #1,#2", very good pieces, neglected (2) an old copy of the last volume of Munier duets, great fun (3) the Ellen Pakenham, "Suite for Solo Mandolin", a beautiful piece, not difficult. More later.
Re: bowlbacks, yes there were quite a few. A wonderful Knorr (sp?) played by the winner of the competition, several Pandini's (Jim Garber's is very beautiful) and, most incredible to my eyes, what I think was a liuto in the mandocello section -- a Calace, does anyone know? There were also some fabulous carved back mandolins to die for + guitars.
Grazioso, btw (if I remember correctly whose code name this is, one of the Jonathan's?) is also a very fine player (I heard him in the Baltimore group, plus playing one of Marilyn's mandolins for sale, great tremolo) + all around nice guy, knowledgeable and seriously committed to the mandolin.

margora
Nov-22-2004, 12:04pm
Eugene: well if you were tending to Ana, then I am sure you had a good time. She is a fabulous player.

Eugene
Nov-22-2004, 2:01pm
...And the turnout for her concert was excellent. I am pleased with the whole of the event.

Strado Len
Nov-22-2004, 2:42pm
Margora: The Calace liuto (10-string mandocello) you mentioned belongs to the Munier Mandolin & Guitar Orchestra, in addition to two Calace octave mandolas. The instruments were part of the collection of the orchestra's late conductor, Dr. Tiracchia.

I had a great time attending the convention: played in the en masse orchestra and with the Munier orchestra, met some fine folks, heard some wonderful music, and got to jam.

Jim Garber
Nov-22-2004, 3:43pm
most incredible to my eyes, what I think was a liuto in the mandocello section -- a Calace, does anyone know?
I have photos of that liuto (and another Calace mandolin) on the Post a Picture of Your Bowlback (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=14185;st=125) thread.

Jim

Jonathan Rudie
Nov-23-2004, 6:12pm
Hi Robert,

Thank you for the kind words. It was nice to meet you and I enjoyed your soulful playing of Victor's solo composition. I am sorry I could not have stayed longer but had to leave early to attend a memorial service for a close friend.

Jonathan R. (from Baltimore)

Jim Garber
Nov-23-2004, 6:50pm
Jonathan:
So sorry to hear about your friend and also sorry we couldn't meet as planned. Perhaps next convention tho I can't imagine how I can go all the way to Denver next year.

I also wished I could have heard your playing as well.

On the other hand I have been thinking that it would be nice for as many of us that are semi-reasonably clos to get together some time for some playing and schmoozing.

Maybe we can find a geographic center.

Jim

Jonathan Rudie
Nov-23-2004, 8:04pm
Hi Jim,

I am sorry we could not catch up as planned in Philly. Perhaps we could put together a small mando ("order of the bowl") gathering of our own one of these days and get the many fine members of this board together. Any thoughts?

Jonathan R.

Jim Garber
Nov-23-2004, 8:41pm
Jonathan:
That is exactly what I was saying. Perhaps in the early part of '05?

Jim

Jonathan Rudie
Nov-24-2004, 6:30am
Hi Jim,

Your idea for a gathering is a great one. I was merely supporting your idea. Early 05 would be fine. Perhaps we can start another thread (message on message board) once we figure out more details. Have a great thanksgiving holiday.

Jonathan