PDA

View Full Version : More expensive = harder to play?

Slownsure
Nov-20-2009, 12:38am
I've been playing for about a year using a very cheap little Johnson mandolin. Recently I invested in a nicer mandolin and I've been playing it for about a month now. However, the new one feels much harder to play - I have to press down more with my fingers, the strings are more likely to buzz, and it's more difficult to get a clear sound.

The action seems about the same on both mandolins. It's possible the new mandolin has heavier gauge strings but it's hard for me to tell. Does this seem normal? Any theories about what might be different?

Many thanks!

Barry Platnick
Nov-20-2009, 12:41am
Dont know what you're playing now but it may be that you need a set up.
my mandolins get harder to play as the wweather changes and itjust needs tweaking.
good luck

sunburst
Nov-20-2009, 1:55am
You need a set up.
A mandolin should be easy to play if it is well set up regardless of how expensive it is. Better mandolins will sometimes have better feeling necks and frets, so more expensive should feel as good or better, not worse.

Dfyngravity
Nov-20-2009, 7:35am
I've been playing for about a year using a very cheap little Johnson mandolin. Recently I invested in a nicer mandolin and I've been playing it for about a month now. However, the new one feels much harder to play - I have to press down more with my fingers, the strings are more likely to buzz, and it's more difficult to get a clear sound.

The action seems about the same on both mandolins. It's possible the new mandolin has heavier gauge strings but it's hard for me to tell. Does this seem normal? Any theories about what might be different?

Many thanks!

Like everyone has said, it sounds like you need a good setup, but there could be other issues. However, we need to know what mandolin you upgraded to, was it used or new, does it have a truss rod or no.

It could have heavier gauge strings than you are use to but I would venture to say that isn't the only issue. If it was a used mandolin it have have been played hard and needs new frets.

Take your mandolin and look right down the top/side of the fingerboard from the tailpiece to the nut, does it look straight? If you have a nice metal ruler or straight edge you can lay it down on the frets right near the edge of the fingerboard and see if it is nice and straight as well. Also look really closely at the nut, are the strings further off the 1st fret than your other mandolin? The bridge height may be the same as your other mandolin but if the nut was not cut correctly the action may feel and indeed is higher, especially in 1st position.

I would take it to a professional and have it looked at as well, you can never beat a professional at their own game.

AlanN
Nov-20-2009, 7:46am
I find the opposite to be true. A better made instrument is easier to play.

We've all heard the phrase 'It's so good, it plays itself'. Hardly, but still...if ever a 'player mandolin' was built, we could just set it up in the corner at parties and eat and drink to great tunes :mandosmiley:

JEStanek
Nov-20-2009, 10:11am
I've played instruments that cost more that are poorly set up that are more challenging to play than less expensive instruments with a good set up.

Cost doesn't equal ease of play. Having a mandolin set up to your requirements, neck profile, string guage, and pick used determine how easy an specific instrument is to play. Do yourself a favor and get your mandolin set up by someone competent with strings you like and go from there. Good luck.

Jamie

Rob Gerety
Nov-20-2009, 10:22am
Yea, and If you are learning - think about using lights for a while. But a good set up by a competent set up person will often transform an instrument. Got to do it no matter how expensive the instrument is.

allenhopkins
Nov-20-2009, 11:27am
Description of your problem sounds like either high action, or heavier-gauge strings than you're used to, or both. A set-up would be called for.

Necks aren't necessarily perfectly straight; sometimes there's some "relief" built in so that one avoids fret buzzing on the higher frets. String height can be adjusted either at the nut or at the bridge.

But in answer to your basic question, more expensive ≠ harder to play. A decently constructed mandolin, whether student-grade or pro-grade, can almost always be adjusted to play easily. What you pay for on the better instrument are better materials, construction, finish, and sound. Oh yes, also for the recognized logo on the headstock!