PDA

View Full Version : stradolin 2 point mandolin on ebay

Richard Singleton
Nov-15-2009, 1:05pm
currently on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-USTRADS-60S-STRAD-O-LIN-MANDOLIN-EXCELLENT_W0QQitemZ390116903945QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad4c78c09

Bruce Clausen
Nov-15-2009, 1:15pm
When someone begins an ad for a 1960s instrument by saying "This belonged to my grandfather", I get a funny feeling I'm getting old.

BC

kalenh
Nov-15-2009, 1:48pm
When someone begins an ad for a 1960s instrument by saying "This belonged to my grandfather", I get a funny feeling I'm getting old.

BC

My Grandparents drive a 2008 Buick.

:grin:

I don't necessarily feel that that makes anyone younger/older just stating a fact. Now if it said

"Original owner This was my grandfathers first instrument as a wee lad.with original case."

Then I'd feel old.

Richard Singleton
Nov-15-2009, 2:13pm
I've read at least 3 ebay mandolin listings this week that were selling grandpa's mandolin. If it were me I don't think I could let one go!

MikeEdgerton
Nov-15-2009, 5:23pm
This Strad-O-Lin was built very late in the Strad history. My favorite eBay line for Grandpa's instruments is when they say "This is a family heirloom so I'm not going to sell it cheap".

billkilpatrick
Nov-15-2009, 5:42pm
... My favorite eBay line for Grandpa's instruments is when they say "This is a family heirloom so I'm not going to sell it cheap".

lol - sort of says it all ...

Bruce Clausen
Nov-15-2009, 9:35pm
I think Richard may be on to something. Far too many mandolins for sale are said to have belonged to a grandfather. I wonder if it's a salesman's euphemism for "Here's something I picked up at a flea market yesterday that I'm hoping to triple my money on."

If MY grandfather had bought a mandolin as a young man, it would probably have been an 1898 Washburn. But I'm afraid his ethnic prejudices were such as to rule out the mandolin as an instrument for him.

BC

MikeEdgerton
Nov-15-2009, 9:57pm
I have my Step-father's Martin Uke that he bought in the 20's. Oh how I wish he'd played the mandolin and bought himself one of them Gibson F5's. :cool:

By the way, my kids probably won't sell that uke.

allenhopkins
Nov-15-2009, 10:52pm
I have my paternal grandfather's violin, an unremarkable American Conservatory. But I did find my maternal grandfather's second wife's Gibson A-1 in the attic of his house in 1970. It's been all downhill since, I'm afraid.

But I concur that most of these eBay "family heirlooms" may be of doubtful provenance.

Greg Stec
Nov-16-2009, 9:57am
I have my paternal grandfather's violin

I have a distant cousin who has HIS grandfather's two no-name violins and no-name bowl back mandolin. This grandfather is one on my GREAT-grandfathers. Those instruments haven't been played since the guy died in the mid-1930s. My cousin got them from his father, neither my cousin nor his father played string instruments, but they're still in the family.

My two cents
Greg