PDA

View Full Version : My Flatiron is "opening up"

Dave Hulse
Nov-11-2009, 10:35am
I've had this Flatiron A5-JR since it was new in '91. I got it as a back-up and have played it on and off through the years. Recently I have been playing it a lot more and the tone is really changing. It is getting throatier and has a nice pop that I really like.

So, what is it that is causing this change? I have played it this much previosly but did not notice the same transformation.

lenf12
Nov-11-2009, 12:59pm
Playing the snot out of it will cause "this change". Defining what exactly is changing has been debated here and other forums for many years without any solid conclusions. Also, don't discount how much your ears have developed in the 18 years since you bought this mandolin.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Bill Van Liere
Nov-11-2009, 3:32pm
I have an 84 Flatiron JR that is very open. This mandolin lets you know what an open sound is.

Interesting Flatiron model with tone bars differing from most other early Flatirons of which are X-braced. I sold my other X-braced Flatiron but will keep the JR. Hard to prove (I like to believe) that this sounded better after about thirteen years of life. I also played the instrument somewhat off and on as it was my spare then, still kinda is, but it sounds great.

I am always on the lookout for tone bar braced Flatiron F5 models also, haven't seen one in years.

BVL

Andy Alexander
Nov-11-2009, 9:50pm
My son has a signature series Flatiron A5 Jr signed by Weber. He was thinking about upgrading but can't find anything that sounds significantly better for 3 times the value of the A5 Jr. It seems to get better all the while. It does get played a lot.