PDA

View Full Version : Collings MT vs Jam Master A

mjb128wv
Nov-10-2009, 11:59am
Anyone have any thoughts on comparing these two A-Style Mandos? I've been wanting an MT but the Jam Masters have gotten good reviews and are a little cheaper.
Thanks -

Mike

Rick Schmidlin
Nov-10-2009, 12:39pm
Anyone have any thoughts on comparing these two A-Style Mandos? I've been wanting an MT but the Jam Masters have gotten good reviews and are a little cheaper.
Thanks -

Mike

ummmmm?

Chunky But Funky
Nov-10-2009, 12:42pm
Where in WV? Would you consider driving to Pittsburgh? Steve @ Acoustic Music Works has 4 used MT's right now. Two of them are my previous instruments and are quite clean and quite good (#667 & #1266). (http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/mandolins.html#collings)He just got them back a week or so ago. I upgraded to MT2's. No Gibson Jam Masters there that I'm aware of, but I can't see going wrong with the used Collings' he has there. Just my 2 cents.

Doug

Caleb
Nov-10-2009, 12:49pm
I played these two models side by side about a month ago in a shop. There was simply no comparison to my ear; the MT was far superior in tone and volume.

thejamdolinplayer
Nov-10-2009, 12:52pm
I've been wondering this same question ever-since i bought my Collings MT. Anyone have any answers or opinions... From what i've read they are pretty similar in tone and volume, and that Gibson A bright burst sure does look pretty sweet.

mjb128wv
Nov-10-2009, 1:04pm
Doug -

Acoustic Music Works is about a 2-hour drive for me. I've always wanted to get up there. How would you compare the sound of your standard MT and the Black-face? I've heard MT are pretty consistent in sound.

Greg H.
Nov-10-2009, 1:06pm
I think it is a matter of preference. Collings has a tone that can be ascertained in pretty much all of them (yes, the top end Collings is going to be better than a beginning Collings, but there is a tone they all seem to carry). Similarly, Gibsons also have a tone that most of them can also be ascertained (there have been the great Gibsons, and some that just don't seem to have them, but from what I've tried 98% of them maintain the Gibson tone). I VERY firmly don't see one as locked in as better than the other, they are just different. My preference is not Collings (I like Gibsons, but then again there are others I like better than either).

If you can try each out and choice what you like that would be the best option. Otherwise, I'd try and see if you can figure out which tone you like better, and go in that direction.

Chunky But Funky
Nov-10-2009, 1:42pm
Doug -

Acoustic Music Works is about a 2-hour drive for me. I've always wanted to get up there. How would you compare the sound of your standard MT and the Black-face? I've heard MT are pretty consistent in sound.

They are pretty similar, I have to say. There is an "instant gratification" associated with Englemann tops, but the standard one was more "played in." I used it pretty much daily for over two years, and the black topped one was acquired along the way as a backup. When I was thinking of getting rid of just one of those, I did some critical listening. I also solicited input from random people as well. Everyone thought the tone of the standard one was a bit better. It is likely that it just had much more play time under it's belt. There was something in the high end I liked a bit more. That is really splitting hairs though. There is just something about the black topped ones I've been gravitating towards aesthetically. That's why I went with black topped ones for the MT2 upgrade. Good luck in your search!

Doug

Andrew DeMarco
Nov-10-2009, 2:15pm
I would recommend the MT because of consistency in sound and stylistic differences.

My MT does everything I ask it to do and more! Really!

woodwizard
Nov-10-2009, 3:08pm
I think it is a matter of preference. Collings has a tone that can be ascertained in pretty much all of them (yes, the top end Collings is going to be better than a beginning Collings, but there is a tone they all seem to carry). Similarly, Gibsons also have a tone that most of them can also be ascertained (there have been the great Gibsons, and some that just don't seem to have them, but from what I've tried 98% of them maintain the Gibson tone). I VERY firmly don't see one as locked in as better than the other, they are just different. My preference is not Collings (I like Gibsons, but then again there are others I like better than either).

If you can try each out and choice what you like that would be the best option. Otherwise, I'd try and see if you can figure out which tone you like better, and go in that direction.

Dito ... Took the words right out of my mouth. Guess it just depends if you like a Gibson's traditional tone or a Collings tone.

250sc
Nov-10-2009, 3:28pm
The good news is that either should be a great mando.

squirrelabama
Nov-10-2009, 4:16pm
you get what you pay for..............:cool: