PDA

View Full Version : My first Build

Wudwerkr
Nov-09-2009, 4:45pm
I have recently finished this mando. I didnt go for traditional look . I have learned several things since and am working on my second as we speak.

IE: making neck thinnner and less chub , and buying a decent lacq. Gun :))

The Sound is quite good for my first attempt. I am fortunate to live close to a professional musican , and he has played the unit and assured me it has a very good sound. ( I play but am no Pro )

Wudwerkr
Nov-09-2009, 4:46pm
BTW will post several more pics later

billhay4
Nov-09-2009, 7:06pm
Interesting design. Wish your picture was bigger.
As for the neck, you can still shave it down to where you like it and I'd do that if it were mine. Will take a bit of figuring as to how to hold it steady, but it's doable.
Good job.
Bill

Wudwerkr
Nov-09-2009, 9:21pm
More pics

Charles E.
Nov-09-2009, 10:21pm
Is there a reason why the bridge is so close to the sound hole?

Wudwerkr
Nov-09-2009, 10:35pm
Yes , if u will notice the neck is a shade longer than normal , the neck joins the body at the 15th fret instead of 12th , so the bridge has to be closer to sound hole to equal distance , result being that the depth from bridge to back of the mando produced a deeper sound . the mando is also 2-1/4" total thickness so it has a bit deeper and richer tone.

Now all that was quite by accident ! I didnt plan it , since it was my first , it was just the result . I wish i could say i did plan it , however , I simply got lucky LOL:grin:

You could say it was a mistake that went right , ahh what the heck , i planned it that way

seesquare
Nov-09-2009, 11:00pm
So, name it "Serendipity"!

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-10-2009, 2:21am
Well done !. Whatever the back is made from,i sincerely love the grain pattern on it,
Ivan;)

Wudwerkr
Nov-10-2009, 8:10am
the back and sides are "hard Maple" the top is "Mahogany " If you would like to see the complete build . I have posted pics on my site from raw wood to finish . [URL="http://www.wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com"]