PDA

View Full Version : Need help for buying my first mandolin

rodrigoz
Nov-08-2009, 9:09pm
Hi, I am from Mexico (no idea about mandolins whatsoever). I would to start saying how impressed I am to see all this knowledge passing from experts on such a kind way. You dont see this often in other sites...
I have been playing guitar for 20 years and would like to switch to the mandolin world. My intention is to start learning some Irish songs a swell as some bluegrass as well. I am sure you have heard this one MANY times..... Should I buy an f or an A??? I have heared that Eastman are good for beginners... I have around $650 to $700 to spend and would not mind buying an old mandolin at all.
Also, any advice on starting lessons? (dvds, books, etc)
Thank you and God Bless!

Rodrigo

Greg H.
Nov-08-2009, 9:46pm
Welcome to the cafe. An A model will be significantly better in that price range. A Kentucky KM505 or one of the early Eastmans 505 or 605 would be good. What type of music are you wanting to play?

JEStanek
Nov-08-2009, 10:41pm
For a good all purpose starter mandolin the Kentucky KM505 or the Eastman 505 are excellent starters. The Eastman will have a slightly narrower more V shaped neck with skinnier fret wire than the Kentucky.

The Mandolin Store in Arizona is having a big sale after Thanksgiving (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56416&highlight=thanksgiving) . I've gotten a mandolin from Dennis before and they can talk to you about your preferences and which mandolin may suit you best. You can get a variety of different options in your price range.

Welcome to the Café and good luck on your mandolin journey.
Jamie

Jill McAuley
Nov-08-2009, 11:23pm
Welcome! I second Jamie's recommendation of The Mandolin Store and their Thanksgiving sale - I'm sure they'll be some great bargains to be had! I've played both the Kentucky KM505 and the Eastman 505 and either would be great instruments, and not just for starting out on either - you won't "outgrow" them quickly if you know what I mean.

Cheers,
Jill

rodrigoz
Nov-08-2009, 11:25pm
For a good all purpose starter mandolin the Kentucky KM505 or the Eastman 505 are excellent starters. The Eastman will have a slightly narrower more V shaped neck with skinnier fret wire than the Kentucky.

The Mandolin Store in Arizona is having a big sale after Thanksgiving (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56416&highlight=thanksgiving) . I've gotten a mandolin from Dennis before and they can talk to you about your preferences and which mandolin may suit you best. You can get a variety of different options in your price range.

Welcome to the Café and good luck on your mandolin journey.
Jamie

Thanks Jamie & Greg.
I'll wait for the Thanksgiving sale then and talk to Denis.
Best regards.

Rodrigo

Capt. E
Nov-09-2009, 12:27pm
You might take a look at the classifieds here on the cafe. You can get a great idea of models and prices. It is also a great place to buy, of course.

Cpt E
Austin TX