PDA

View Full Version : Social Club posting notification

hank
Nov-05-2009, 4:24pm
I find myself forgetting about the social club posts and was wondering if there is a way for us to receive latest posts to groups we are members of like the message board threads? This might help keep some of the slower moving ones more active.

talbotpat
Nov-05-2009, 4:40pm
You can subscribe to the group via the group tools link at the upper right once you click into a group and set your notification to a daily or weekly email. RSS is also an option...that's how I follow the Cafe.

Pat

kalenh
Nov-06-2009, 3:05pm
You can subscribe to the group via the group tools link at the upper right once you click into a group and set your notification to a daily or weekly email. RSS is also an option...that's how I follow the Cafe.

Pat

While true.

It would be nice if there were an easier/more user friendly notification system.

JEStanek
Nov-06-2009, 3:09pm
The e-mail notification is nice. I only get it on one of the groups. The last thing I want is more e-mails. What would be more friendly, pop up windows like when you get a PM?

Jamie

kalenh
Nov-06-2009, 3:18pm
The e-mail notification is nice. I only get it on one of the groups. The last thing I want is more e-mails. What would be more friendly, pop up windows like when you get a PM?

Jamie

What would be more user friendly to me?

A few "possible" options could work. The pop ups could work. Maybe the link to "social groups" at the top could display an "alert" next to it? Maybe in the User Control panel we could select to add social groups to the bottom/top of the page. Maybe directly under the "Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 9001." line there could be a "New Social Groups Thread/messages: Unread 2, Total 12."

To me it just kind feels like the SG's are...hidden...

Cathal Whelehan
Nov-06-2009, 4:14pm
Don't want to come across as a radical, but would the best solution not be to actually try to remember the social groups you've joined for yourself?

I can see two links at the top of my screen called Social Groups and they were still there even after I counted to 10.

JEStanek
Nov-06-2009, 4:20pm
The a link at the top of the left page to the Social Groups doesn't seem to be linked to your user account. If you click your name near the top right of the page (Welcome, kalenh)you can see your social groups in your profile section on the right hand side under group memberships. Just check in periodically. Probably not the answers you're looking for. Under the subscriptions you could get a daily e-mail that some new activity has occurred in your social group.

The other things on your wish list would probably require customization of the software code by Dan or Scott or not even be possible with the software.

Sorry, I can't help you with those things.

Jamie

kalenh
Nov-06-2009, 4:54pm
Don't want to come across as a radical, but would the best solution not be to actually try to remember the social groups you've joined for yourself?

I can see two links at the top of my screen called Social Groups and they were still there even after I counted to 10.

I think you're missing the point, but thank you for trying to help. ;)

The a link at the top of the left page to the Social Groups doesn't seem to be linked to your user account. If you click your name near the top right of the page (Welcome, kalenh)you can see your social groups in your profile section on the right hand side under group memberships. Just check in periodically. Probably not the answers you're looking for. Under the subscriptions you could get a daily e-mail that some new activity has occurred in your social group.

The other things on your wish list would probably require customization of the software code by Dan or Scott or not even be possible with the software.

Sorry, I can't help you with those things.

Jamie

Yeah I understand. I'm just thinking Social Groups are kinda "hidden". They aren't "out there". I'm aware that many of the options I listed as user friendly weren't things that mere mortals would be able to do. But if the groups were to be made more easily accessible then I believe they'd be used a bit more.

Scott Tichenor
Nov-06-2009, 6:44pm
There's no effort on our part to hide social groups or to minimize functionality--trust me--and I'm the one that makes that decision. I frequent several, but as I do with this forum, I don't post much. If I was hiding them, they wouldn't be on the main navigation that filters throughout the entire web site which makes up around 2,000+ static pages and every single message board page. It's also on each message board navigation bar and is not there automatically by default. I placed it there by choice.

* Classifieds
* Mandolin News
* Message Board
* MP3
* Builders
* Workshops
* Social Groups
* Home

Some parts of the message board software are clearly not as robust as other areas, and we're somewhat at the mercy of code that makes up this community. This is a purchased commercial product. The social groups have room for improvement, you'll get no argument from me on that, and that's the feedback of many people that frequent the software support forum for this product. As far as available functions, they're pretty much turned wide open and full on as I do with everything. There are no functions being withheld.

I'm fairly adept at making code hacks and changes that improve functionality, but I don't get into changes that alter the fundamental parts of the program so that they're overwritten by frequent patches/updates. Making changes like that can be unwise and dangerous if not handled properly.

Right now there will be few if any changes to the forum because we're waiting on a brand new generation of this forum software, and one for which I've already paid for. We all hope there will be improvements in the way things like social groups, calendering and other functions are implemented.

As far as having the software count and notify on new posts, to my tastes that's taking it a bit far. Counting personal messages from others is one thing, counting posts you haven't read means instant notification for all posts as soon as they occur instead of daily or weekly. I make use of the subscription notifications on several groups I belong to and find that suitable, but acknowledge everyone's tastes are different. Maybe there will be an instant notification in the next release and users can set a pop-up message, email or visual count for every new post if they wish. We won't know until it's installed and right now I don't have a time frame for that because it's not yet available.

kalenh
Nov-06-2009, 7:34pm
Scott,

I want to apologize if I sounded..."rough". I didn't mean to imply you(or anyone) was deliberately making a piece of forum software less available. I just think the Social Groups would be more social and get more activity if we had a more user friendly way of seeing that new messages had been posted. As for not being able to modify commercial software to every whim some random joe on the interwebs wants, I completely understand. Thus my "mere mortals" comment. :)

Thank you for all that you do. :mandosmiley:

BlueGrass Music Lover
Nov-15-2009, 10:57am
I have a question not sure how it fits in. But I wanted to post a up coming Bluegrass Christmas style event and was told that I could post it on the message board as well as the calendar but am not sure how to post it on the message board the event is on Nov. 28 th with The Redhead Express and Lindley Creek Bluegrass band.
If some one can tell me how to post it I would appreciate it or if someone wants to post it that is fine as well.
Thank you
Buster Roper
Bluegrass Music lover

kalenh
Nov-15-2009, 11:00am
I have a question not sure how it fits in. But I wanted to post a up coming Bluegrass Christmas style event and was told that I could post it on the message board as well as the calendar but am not sure how to post it on the message board the event is on Nov. 28 th with The Redhead Express and Lindley Creek Bluegrass band.
If some one can tell me how to post it I would appreciate it or if someone wants to post it that is fine as well.
Thank you
Buster Roper
Bluegrass Music lover

Step 1:Click Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57)

Step 2: select "new thread"

Step 3: Make your announcement

Step 4: ???????

Step 5: :mandosmiley:

hank
Nov-15-2009, 1:34pm
Sorry Kalenh, I've been in the hospital and just got out yesterday to respond to this thread. I started this thread as user feedback to a new addition(Social Clubs)at the Cafe' to help Scott and Dan evaluate and tweek the software. The point being made is a simple one. We make so many post on the message board the only way to respond to inquiry made to our comments is to recieve some sort of notification that there has been activity on that particular thread. This applies to the social clubs as well as will become more apparent as the length and number of threads in those groups increases. Yes of course we remember what groups we are in and yes the update email works to a point but is not as user friendly as the message board method of keeping continuity. I understand Jamie's post that as the number of threads your active in grows the burden of follow thru grows as well. Anyway, No demands being made here, just some input. Considering Jamie's post I guess the question is how do we keep continuity to a thread (Social or message board) that we've posted to without the reminders becoming as numerous and unmanageable as the original thread itself. My thinking is a thread is a thread and should be managed the same whether it is in the categories of the message board or the categories of the Social group.
Again this is friendly user input the Cafe' works amazingly well thank you Scott and Dan. :)