PDA

View Full Version : George's Music

Lee
Aug-31-2004, 3:03pm
So I walk into my local big chain branch of George's Music in the middle of a slow Saturday afternoon and I'm barely in the door and the floor-dude comes right out with, "Hi, what's your name?", like a cheap pick up line. Then he jumps into my back pocket leaving no air-space to browse and see what's new. OK, I can accept the heavy sales pitch but back off a little, fella. Of course he won't do that until he learns what kind of musician I am. Then he gets totally cheesy and says that even though he's a drummer he really wants to learn another instrument, that of course being the mandolin. He probably would have taken the same approach had I told him I played the Oud. Finally I mentioned I enjoy playing 5-string solid-body electric mandolin and it's like the words went right through where his brain had been. I finally had to tell him to think of a miniature solid-body 5-string Telecaster with twin humbuckers tuned in fifths. After the truth finally became apparent to his sheltered self the sales-approach becomes all gushy with "Oh that's sooo cool, and who makes something like that anyway". Ha! That's when I pulled it on him and said Epiphone does, and you're a dealer, you have none in stock, and worse of all, you don't even know what they are! His gushy approach then turned to sniveling idiot and he tried to retreat by asking me what kind of amp I played through. I told him it's gotta be an all-tube amp, even the rectifier, and he totally deflated in anquish. He crawled over to the only tube amp in the store; the lowly but well regarded Fender Blues Junior. I mean this store was basically worthless to me. Their only redeeming value was a special price on three packs of strings so I purchased some D'Addarios for my acoustics just to allow this guy to redeem some self-respect. I brushed by the next patron on my way out and as the door swung shut heard, "Hi, what's your name?" ....

Pen
Aug-31-2004, 3:54pm
OMG I'm crying - GREAT STORY!

Moose
Aug-31-2004, 4:06pm
A great story... kinda' like a car sales "pitch!! - "whad'ya want..? ... date with the receptionist...!?? - my wife...!?? a free license-plate frame..!?? ; a date with ME!!??.. "What would it take to put..." hee.. hee.. - http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Christian McKee
Sep-01-2004, 11:09am
I can't decide if that's better or worse than the guy who took 15 minutes to sell me a mic stand that I was asking to buy a few days ago... Wow.

Christian

neal
Sep-01-2004, 5:29pm
" How can we earn your business" The only quote that will send me running.

Dolamon
Sep-07-2004, 5:51am
Lee - a good answer to a pain in the butt salesman ... "I'm just shop lifting ... Thank you."

When he runs over to the owner to report your audacity, you have a moment to see if they have anything of interest.