PDA

View Full Version : Ever had a band member from hell?

Steve G
Aug-31-2004, 9:19am
I've never posted a topic before but this one I can't resist! My wife and I had a gig the other night and the new banjo player showed up twenty minutes late in the middle of a tune, in front of the audience, stood there on the side for a minute and left after complaining that we started without him. This is a venue where we have to start on time. Fortunately with mando / guitar and bass we were able to cover successfully. Then he called our voicemail and formally quit siting musical differences with a preference for jazz. Well, it's a small town and he does'nt seem to care much about his reputation and neither do we.
So let's hear it folks: The band member from hell...

Philip Halcomb
Aug-31-2004, 9:52am
I know the feeling, banjo players can be like that too. Not multi-instrumentalists but strict banjo players. We had a banjo player that was never satisfied. He kept insisting we we're playing out of time and not allowing him to take his breaks. Well I never had that problem playing with our folks, so after awhile I learned that it was he who was playing out of time. Speeding up and slowing down. Although I'm not a stickler about it if there's a good groove going. Anyhow, we stopped including him in our gigs. Life went on as before after that move. Also, the new banjo player doesn't seem to have that problem. I sent him a mentronome for Christmas. Hopefully that will help... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

250sc
Aug-31-2004, 10:16am
Steve,

This situation should work out fine for everyone involved. You and your band mates can continue acting like professionals and show up for your gigs early enough to power up the PA and get in tune and the banjo player can get a gig with one of the many jazz bands who are desparatly searching for a 5 string player. (Please note sarcasim)

straight-a
Aug-31-2004, 10:27am
"Ever had a band member from hell?"

Boy have I!!!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

keymandoguy
Aug-31-2004, 1:35pm
We had a mandolin player came to our jam. He had an expensive Gibson mando & could play real good as long as no one else was playing but he just could never get in sync playing with others . http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Ken Sager
Aug-31-2004, 2:43pm
Yes... a guitar player who wouldn't play unless he "tuned up" a bit, but once "tuned up" he couldn't play anyway. He quit and got upset with me for telling him that when he was high he wasted the band's time. The band was recording an album and he wasted more studio time (two days!!!) than it took me to learn all the guitar parts and record them myself. After he left we managed to finish the tracks on mostly first takes.

Best,
Ken

mrbook
Aug-31-2004, 3:15pm
We had a bass player who, after an initial period of being a nice guy, started to insult people everywhere we went. We played a church festival, where he told the people that their winning chili tasted like it came out of a can (he was also a professional chef, who insulted so many customers he had to close his restaurant). We played at a county fair near a recruiting booth, where he told the guys in uniform that recruiters are professional liars. The stories go on forever, and we laugh about it now that he's no longer in the band (one day he didn't show up, and when I found he wasn't in an accident or the hospital I didn't call him), but there were times when you didn't want to be standing next to him when he opened his mouth. I actually had to "take him out for a walk" a couple times, just like a little kid.
His replacement is a much nicer guy, but after a couple years he is getting a little angry, too. Is it something about the bass that does that to people?

steve in tampa
Aug-31-2004, 5:17pm
We had a bass player that put his bass down in the middle of a song to get a beer and try to put the make on a chick.

mmukav
Aug-31-2004, 7:27pm
That's a great one Steve. We had a banjo player that would basically waste all our time making us listen to him play endless runs. When we were able to get his attention to play a song with the rest of us he was always out of time. This guy also would waste time showing off his prowess on flat-top guitar, ripping off Tony Rice imitation-licks, but couldn't keep time well enough to ever play a lick with anyone else. The scary part is that the last time I saw him he showed me the new mandolin he just bought and is going to 'learn' how to play! Ouch!

Fretbear
Sep-01-2004, 3:58am
There's a whole lot to be said for being the "boss"......otherwise there (can be) no end to all the nonsense that can go on and that you will have to try and endure....

skinnywebb
Sep-01-2004, 7:06am
I've played in rock bands for over 25 years and have no problems with the guys in the bluegrass band I play with right now. But as far as rock the rockbands go I've gone through so many bozos that I can't count them all.
I thought maybe it was just the immature rock musicians but I guess it can be found in every kind of music.

Mandopickr
Sep-01-2004, 9:55am
Yep...been there done that. Unfortunately we all seem to have to play with some "bozos". We have been through all the pickers in our band at least once, before we found just the right guys. We have had problems from timing, to actual physical confrontations. I find that it is most important that you find pickers that fit the personality of the band instead of the hottest pickers. You know...people that work and play well with others. just my two cents worth

b.pat
Sep-01-2004, 11:18am
We had a fiddle player that didn't show up for a gig because, he beat-up a state trooper on the way. Does that count?
Boy, that guy could play though! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
B.Pat

mrbook
Sep-01-2004, 11:53am
The bass player I mentioned earlier also missed a gig because he insulted a cop and was made to spend an evening in jail to learn a lesson, as I discovered when I went to pick him up for the gig. The sad thing was that everyone who knew him, from the band to the promoter to friends in the audience, only chuckled about it and had no sympathy for him. I felt bad for him, but he was a big boy (literally) - and he still didn't learn the lesson.

At least we were finally a real country band now that one of our members had jail time.

solerydr
Sep-03-2004, 3:10pm
Ive had, and currently have pain in the butt musicians to deal with but the biggest pain in the butt I ever had to deal with is my "baby of the family" younger brother,who is very talented but required kid gloves. Everything was an issue and was escalated to a sort of primadonna-like urgency. Since we ceased to play in a band together , I enjoy his company more, and really enjoy just jamming with him on occasion.