PDA

View Full Version : New Kentucky KM-900 Master Model

Folkmusician.com
Oct-30-2009, 7:10pm
I hadn't seen any mention of this yet, so here it goes..

There is a new A-Style version of the Kentucky KM-1000. The specs will be the same... Adirondack top, northern maple, etc. I haven't seen one yet.

Model: KM-900
Retail Price: $1295

Here is Saga's description:

In the Classic Era of American Mandolins – the early 1920, – there was a single example of a Lloyd Loar Master Model in the A-style – a symmetrical pear-shaped body without points of scroll. This mandolin had the long neck that joined the body at the 15th fret and the symmetrical “snakehead” shaped peghead. As regards finish, choice of wood and fittings, it was identical to the standard Master Model F-5. The tone of this singular mandolin was equal to any F-5 and has charmed players and collectors to this day.

With a lovely Cremona brown shaded lacquer finish, identical to our KM-1000 F-Model, we feel that we are offering a thoroughly professional mandolin at an amazingly low price. The new KM-900 features the same select, solid Spruce and solid Michigan flatsawn maple that was used in the 1920’s Vintage Originals. This ensures that our new mandolin has the right look as well as the right sound.

The most discriminating players and collectors will want this superb mandolin, and every serious player at every level will be able to afford it. We urge you to try the KM-900 Master Model mandolin and compare it to any “boutique” mandolins costing four times our price, and we believe that you will be convinced of the superiority of the new Kentucky KM-900!

Jill McAuley
Oct-30-2009, 10:25pm
Interesting, can't wait to see those - I've really liked every KM-1000 I've played, so definitely looking forward to trying one of these out, thanks for the info...

Cheers,
Jill

allenhopkins
Oct-30-2009, 10:32pm
The most discriminating players and collectors will want this superb mandolin, and every serious player at every level will be able to afford it.

Nice to say, but not "every serious player at every level" has $1300 or whatever the instrument will sell for discounted. I'm sure it's value for the money, but there's an inherent assumption that if you're "serious" you have four figures of disposable discretionary cash to buy a mandolin. That's really not true, even of everyone on the Cafe.

We get inured to paying significant buxx for any decent instrument I sympathize with the many aspiring mandolinists whose budget is significantly under $1300.

Mike Bunting
Oct-30-2009, 11:04pm
I don't suppose that you are a dealer?

JEStanek
Oct-31-2009, 7:27am
While yes, Robert is a Dealer, he's not pushing or even mentioning if he sells them, nor is he giving his price. This is the first I've heard of a Top of the Line A from Kentucky. And, Allen speaks the truth that you can make fine music on a less expensive mandolin. Soooo many options.

Jamie

John Rosett
Oct-31-2009, 9:56am
Nice to say, but not "every serious player at every level" has $1300 or whatever the instrument will sell for discounted. I'm sure it's value for the money, but there's an inherent assumption that if you're "serious" you have four figures of disposable discretionary cash to buy a mandolin. That's really not true, even of everyone on the Cafe.

We get inured to paying significant buxx for any decent instrument I sympathize with the many aspiring mandolinists whose budget is significantly under $1300.

Allen-
I agree with you 100%! Even some of us who have been "aspiring mandolinists" for 30 years still need an inexpensive instrument sometimes. Due to financial hardship, I had to sell alot of stuff last year, and ended up buying a KM-505 earlier this year. While I've certainly played better mandolins, I would have to say that this $450 Kentucky is definately "professional quality".

Folkmusician.com
Oct-31-2009, 11:53am
Their descriptions could have done without: "and every serious player at every level will be able to afford it". :)

I am convinced that most professionals could do just fine with a well setup KM-150.