PDA

View Full Version : Old epiphone Question

rogerseckler
Oct-30-2009, 5:05pm
i have an old Epiphone made in kalamazoo,Mi model mm30 ser.#81239 i think it is a A style.an old friend of mine gave it to me today,he is very sick and didn't want it to end up on a garage sale,he is 90 yrs old and has had the mandolin for years.My Question is what year is it and is it worth getting insurance on.Thanks for any help.

johnl
Oct-30-2009, 6:49pm
If the label says 'MM-30', it's extremely unlikely that it was made in Kalamazoo. The MM-30 models didn't come out until the late 70's, and by then all Epiphones were being made overseas. From the serial, yours was probably made in Japan between '79 and '82.

If it has no label, and that serial is stamped into the back of the headstock; it could be an Kalamazoo-made Epi Venetian from 1962. That would bump the value up a lot higher (depending on condition, of course; I would ballpark a '62 Venetian in good shape around $750). A Venetian will have a headstock like this:
http://www.sylvanmusic.com/inventory/567_img3.jpg

MikeEdgerton
Oct-30-2009, 6:55pm
As an aside, the Epiphone's made in the early 70's in Japan had Kalamazoo and Made in Japan on the paper label inside.

rogerseckler
Oct-30-2009, 11:37pm
The paper inside says Kalamazoo,it is a light blue lable...I'll try to load a picture in a few days.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-31-2009, 1:11am
It would be a light blue label, does it say Kalamazoo and Japan? Post a picture including the label.

rogerseckler
Oct-31-2009, 7:19pm
no just says Kalamazoo,Mi

MikeEdgerton
Oct-31-2009, 9:05pm
It's still not out of the woods, some folks trimmed the bottom of the label. Can you post some pictures?

rogerseckler
Oct-31-2009, 10:04pm
I have tried to upload some pictures but they wont upload for some reason,any Ideas?

rogerseckler
Nov-01-2009, 11:18am
ok,i got some pictures loaded,but I got to get a better picture of serial number inside of mandolin,any Ideas on how ,its an odd angle to take the picture.

Jill McAuley
Nov-01-2009, 12:07pm
I have tried to upload some pictures but they wont upload for some reason,any Ideas?

Did you click on the little paperclip symbol or the picture symbol with little mountains in it? If the photos are on your computer, and you click on the paperclip symbol, it lets you browse the files on your computer to select the photos you want to upload. That's how I always upload photos here.

Cheers,
Jill

billkilpatrick
Nov-01-2009, 1:23pm
hurry - the suspense is killing me ...

rogerseckler
Nov-01-2009, 7:06pm
I finally got some pictures loaded..they are in my album in my profile page

Jim Broyles
Nov-01-2009, 7:18pm
Those pictures are too small to see. Can't you post them in a message? That pick guard does not look 30s to me, more like 80s. That and the MM30 name tells me MIJ 70s or 80s and a value of in the $200 range.

rogerseckler
Nov-01-2009, 7:18pm
Thanks Jill,bill,mike for your help in loading the pictures

MikeEdgerton
Nov-01-2009, 8:52pm
That isn't all that old, maybe the late 80's at best.

f5loar
Nov-01-2009, 10:26pm
For sure not made in Kalamazoo. While I'm not up on Epis past 1970 this is not made before then.
I'm almost inclined to think it may be a total fake Epi if such thing could be out there. The funky label, the funky logo, headstock inlay, the asian pickguard/TP and no truss rod cover is something I've not seen on any Epi of any year.

John Rosett
Nov-02-2009, 9:10am
Gibson did some shameful things to the Epiphone name in the 70's and 80's.

rogerseckler
Nov-02-2009, 10:36am
So its more than likely a fake,well my friend wanted me to have it so thats ok,I wont tell him.

8ch(pl)
Nov-02-2009, 11:21am
A friend of mine has a 60's Epiphone Guitar thatbelonged to his Dad. it is marked Kalamazoo, made before thety went to Japan.

f5loar
Nov-02-2009, 11:22am
I'm not saying it is a fake but it could be a fake. Don't know why anyone would fake a low end Epi with logo and label like seems to be so common with Gibson A models. It's a $100 mandolin anyway you look at it. I'd like to hear from someone here say it is a real import from Epi and they have the catalog specs with photos to prove it. Until then I vote it's a fake Epi.

EdHanrahan
Nov-02-2009, 11:38am
Bought my Epiphone 12-string guitar new in '71, for just a bit over $71!

- The blue label on the inside says "Kalamazoo" in small print at the bottom, with no attempt to imply "made in...".
- The black plastic backplate for the bolt-on neck (Fender style attachment) is clearly embossed in gold: "Made in Japan".

rogerseckler
Nov-02-2009, 1:33pm
Ok I got some more pictures uploaded but couldn't enlarge the sticker enough to get a good clear picture,but added tailpiece pic,and case picture

John Kinn
Nov-02-2009, 1:56pm
I have an Epi from the mid-eighties.The top is so thick you could drive a truck over it. Thin sound and no chop.Hope yours is better than mine...

billkilpatrick
Nov-02-2009, 3:16pm
i have a soft spot in my heart for epiphone - the "people's" guitar/mandolin/etc.. first guitar i ever bought (bass) was an epiphone. a friend of my father gave me his pre-war gibson j-45 - imagine! ... people can be very kind sometimes.

seen the photos - what's it sound like?

rogerseckler
Nov-02-2009, 4:05pm
actually this madolin has a very good tone,plays very nice has very good volume,

John Kinn
Nov-02-2009, 4:56pm
Then it sure isn't from the same batch as mine.. At the end of the day the important matters are tone and playability. If that's all good it, then you don't have to worry. And you can honour your friend by playing it.:)

theCOOP
Nov-13-2009, 12:46pm
The guy who's teaching me to play seems impressed by my cheap used $125 Epiphone. Says at least it's better than what he had to start with. Dunno when it was made or anything, but it has the same pic guard as the OP's mandolin. Headstock is the same shape but with a different inlay image. Very plain tail piece cover. Different chrome plastic tuner knobs.

Mine says Made In Korea. One label glued over another apparently-identical label. Serial# 94120010

I've looked at other cheap A-style mandolins online, and I'd have to say this one looks identical to many of them, as well as many of the kits I've seen online as well. By the time this one was made, it seems likely that it's just a rebadged something-or-other no-name.

rogerseckler
Nov-14-2009, 11:20am
well my mando just says kalamazoo,mi...no korea or japan,has a lower ser # 81239,who knows where it was made.dosen't really matter to me.it sounds very good to me.

theCOOP
Nov-14-2009, 3:15pm
actually this madolin has a very good tone,plays very nice has very good volume,

Yeah, like I said. My instructor seems impressed with my cheapy. Doesn't seem concerned about the intonation or action. Perhaps he only knows how to play but don't know anything else about mandolins, I dunno. He plays in a band for paying gigs and they're recorded an indie EP. Mine seems to sound/play well to him.