PDA

View Full Version : hank williams

John Rosett
Aug-31-2004, 8:22am
i was listening to some hank last night, and i'm wondering who played the mandolin break on "may you never be alone like me". i'm pretty sure it's not jethro, a nd it's too early to be hank garland. maybe the fiddle player in the band? does anyone know?
john

Spruce
Aug-31-2004, 11:29am
Clyde Baum...

John Rosett
Aug-31-2004, 4:03pm
thanks bruce. do you know any thing about mr. baum, or is that a tugging at my leg that i feel...
john

Fuzzyway
Aug-31-2004, 4:42pm
Spruce,

You always amaze me with your historical knowledge.

Thanks, Fuzzy

Spruce
Aug-31-2004, 4:43pm
Hi John....

I'd never pull your leg, John...

No, actually if you Google Mr. Baum in Groups (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22Clyde+Baum%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wg), all kinds of stuff comes up.
Much more informative than a run-of-the-mill net search...

John Rosett
Aug-31-2004, 10:08pm
yeah bruce, i guess that would be kinda scary. thanks for the cool link.
john

Sellars
Sep-01-2004, 1:35am
Wow! that group searching is really worthwile! thanks for the tip!

Spruce
Sep-01-2004, 10:47am
Google groups never ceases to amaze me, whether you're looking for a good restaurant in Samois, France, or who the mando player was on a Hank Williams recording.

What you basically have is an archived set of discussions on just about any topic dating back 15 years or so...
An invaluable resource, IMHO...

I live at this group (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=rec.audio.pro), which is a group devoted to professional recording.
Some heavy hitters hang out here, including engineers who have worked at Motown, a guy who helped record "Pet Sounds", mic manufacturers, etc. etc.

Some incredible knowledge can be had there, and it's a wonderful thing that a guy who lives on an island out in the middle of the Pacific can go get an education in recording (or any thing else, for that matter)....

Google Groups rule...

MrSrubas
Sep-15-2004, 11:22pm
I saw an oldtime/bluegrass band last summer that plays "dear brother" their mando player, fellow named Tommy Schwark (SP?) very, very good. The band is called the Reedy Buzzards if you care to check them out.

Sellars
Sep-16-2004, 9:15am
Google groups never ceases to amaze me, whether you're looking for a good restaurant in Samois, France, or who the mando player was on a Hank Williams recording.
completely off-topic, sorry bout that, but were you at Samois for the Gypsy Jazz festival?

Spruce
Sep-16-2004, 9:40am
Nope...
Sorry for the misleading tidbit...

I will someday get to Samois, but it's at a time of year that is very difficult to squeeze a festival in France into the schedule...

Someday....