PDA

View Full Version : Scooped Fretboard Extension

Rob Gerety
Oct-29-2009, 10:40pm
Would it affect the value of a good all original vintage Gibson to scoop the fretboard extension?

MikeEdgerton
Oct-29-2009, 10:54pm
Yes. Does that mean you shouldn't do it? No, I did mine because it made it easier for me to play. If the value of the instrument is your primary concern then don't do it.

jim simpson
Oct-29-2009, 11:00pm
Good advise Mike. I bought an F5-G used some years ago that already had the extension scooped. I was fine with it as it saved me from doing it. When I sold it, the new buyer seemed happy as well about the scoop.
I used to have a Ratliff that had an abbreviated fingerboard extension and I thought that was a great design. My current Daley F and Collings A both do not have the "Florida" extension so pick click is never an issue.

Rob Gerety
Oct-29-2009, 11:17pm
The value is definitely not my primary concern but I have to be a bit concerned about it, yes. Is it a big deal do you think? This instrument is in extremely good condition - one of the best I've seen - but its just a teens paddle head A4. My gut feeling is that it would not hurt the value one iota - but I'm not sure. If its not a big huge deal I'll probably do it.

sunburst
Oct-29-2009, 11:21pm
Chris Thile had a new fingerboard installed on his Loar, and had the fingerboard "scooped". If the old 'board is put back on later, will that reduce the value? Will the fact that it is "the Thile Loar" raise the value? Who knows...
...but anyway, I think a truly "vintage" piece should have a replacement fingerboard if it is to have a "scoop", then originality can be restored by putting the old 'board back on. A side benefit might be better intonation too.

Rob Gerety
Oct-29-2009, 11:25pm
This instrument has been re-fretted recently. What kind of money roughly to replace the board?

sunburst
Oct-29-2009, 11:29pm
Probably a few hundred dollars. If you have it done, be sure to have it done by someone who is experienced with (and good at) that sort of thing.

Glassweb
Oct-30-2009, 12:45am
why do you need to scoop the extension on an A4 mandolin?! i think this whole pickin', clickin', scoopin', scallopin' thing has gotten way out of hand... i think i can even recall a time when no-one even gave it a thought... oh yeah, that's right... it was yankin' out Virzi's back in my day... :disbelief:

Hans
Oct-30-2009, 7:47am
I'm going to be contrary (what else is new) and say that if it is in extremely good shape, don't touch it. I have a '16 A4 and it's in nearly perfect shape. I wouldn't do anything to it.

AlanN
Oct-30-2009, 7:59am
Hey now, Glassweb, warn't it you who decried the existence of the little thingy down there, sayin' who needs it/wants it/gots to have it?

Heck, I agree - it's the appendix of the mandolin world.

Rob Gerety
Oct-30-2009, 8:15am
Its on the way to me now. I'm just anticipating an issue. Maybe it will be fine. If it is as it was represented it will be in virtually perfect original condition. But, we all know how that goes. We'll see soon. I think I detect a slightly bent tuner shaft or two. We'll see.

sunburst
Oct-30-2009, 8:40am
Oh, you don't have the mandolin yet so you're essentially "borrowing trouble" with the extender. I bet you won't have a problem with "pick click" anyway. A/F4 extenders are not as long as F5 extenders.
Also, I agree with the others above who think it would be best left alone if it's in great shape.

sgarrity
Oct-30-2009, 9:05am
That's a pretty A4! It looks to be in great shape and I would leave it original. That fingerboard won't get in your way. and if for some weird reason it does, you can probably modify your picking hand a little to avoid it. I'm usually a proponent of modifying an instrument to make it comfprtable for you to play. But in this case I just don't see how that extension could be an issue.

Glassweb
Oct-30-2009, 9:13am
Hey now, Glassweb, warn't it you who decried the existence of the little thingy down there, sayin' who needs it/wants it/gots to have it?

Heck, I agree - it's the appendix of the mandolin world.

hey Alan... A4 extensions don't bug me... it's what's been going on with the F5's that gets me goin'!

Fretbear
Oct-30-2009, 9:19am
You'd be crazy to mess with it; it won't be in the way of the sweet spot like it can be on a 5, and it looks super clean and original.

sunburst
Oct-30-2009, 10:19am
Yep, it looks like a good, well kept mandolin.
I'm not really an expert on those things, but I've never seen a Gibson fleur-de-lis inlay like that. Of coarse they were hand cut, and the cutter therefore had some artistic freedom, but what do the experts think, is that an original inlay?

JEStanek
Oct-30-2009, 10:30am
With as good looking as that instrument is, I would try and adjust my playing and not modify it. But, it's yours. If I were to modify it I would replace the board and keep the original for future sale but, even that will impact it's value. Adn you can be sure I would pay to have someone with experience on these older Gibsons do the work.

Jamie

Gail Hester
Oct-30-2009, 11:15am
is that an original inlay?

It looks right to me John. To my eye it fits in to the 1915-1916 era.

I have never heard a complaint about the small A4 fretboard extension getting in the way, no one has ever asked me to scoop one or build one without it.

sunburst
Oct-30-2009, 11:35am
I did some browsing through the archive (what a resource!) and yes, it does look right for the early ones. 7 pieces rather than the 4 pieces of the later ones.

Rob Gerety
Oct-30-2009, 11:40am
Yea, I was probably getting worried about something that won't be an issue. Sorry for that.

atetone
Oct-30-2009, 11:49am
I had my eye on that one too Rob. It appears to be a great example.
I would be interested in knowing after you receive it it if is in as good a condition as it appears.
I was very tempted also but I resisted bidding on it.
If it turns out to be as good as it looks then I would not scoop the board.

Randy Smith
Oct-30-2009, 11:55am
Would it affect the value of a good all original vintage Gibson to scoop the fretboard extension?

Rob,

That A-4 looks fantastic. Others have given you really good advice already about why not to scallop the neck, so I'll just beg: *please* don't mess with it!

Cheers,

Randy S.

Rob Gerety
Oct-30-2009, 1:05pm
I was very tempted also but I resisted bidding on it.

Yea, I hemmed and hawed a lot. I had the money in my pocket because I just sold a few things in preparation for a new mando - so I was primed and ready. I am a little worried - I'll admit that. I kept saying to myself - "Its to good to be true". But in the end I pushed the button. I couldn't resist. The seller had lots of musical instrument transactions all with great feedback. So took a chance. I'm praying I don't get burned. My expectation frankly is that it is going to need some playing to bring the tone out. I just hope I don't end up with a money pit.

I'm already beginning to feel the burden of being the custodian of the instrument. My goal was to buy a mandolin to play - not a museum piece. Don't worry folks, I won't be scooping it. I will probably play it, mostly just in my home, but I will take good care of it.

I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I don't even have it in my possession yet.

JeffD
Oct-30-2009, 1:16pm
My new Paris Swing has a fretboard extension. First one I have ever struggled with. What a pain, its right under the sweet spot.

But it is an integral part of the aesthetics of the instrument, I am not going to mess with it.

woodwizard
Oct-30-2009, 1:19pm
I'm going to be contrary (what else is new) and say that if it is in extremely good shape, don't touch it. I have a '16 A4 and it's in nearly perfect shape. I wouldn't do anything to it.

I'm with you on that Hans. I have a really good almost perfect shape all original 1919 A4 and I see no need of changing a thing on that baby ... especially the extension.

David M.
Oct-30-2009, 2:59pm
Great looking mandolin. Keep it as is, for sure.

Someone in a recent workshop of Mike Compton's asked about pick click he heard on another fellow's (name withheld :) ) recording and how he deals with it. Mike commented, "well, he's not doing it right. He's diggin' in too much...". Made me laugh out loud.