PDA

View Full Version : two Silverangel econos

kyken
Oct-29-2009, 12:22pm
Here's two more leaving the shop about the same time, both varnish and big sound.

DerTiefster
Nov-01-2009, 12:23pm
"econos" with front and back binding? They're beautiful.

Do you keep sound clips of each of your mandolins as-built? I couldn't even guess how a luthier keeps improving his product when it sometimes takes years for an instrument to fully develop. At some level, getting the right wood appears to be an accident of history or an accident of selection criteria. Knowing what any one selection criterion means in the long haul, or whether it's even relevant/important, seems hard to gauge 10 yrs before maturation.

kyken
Nov-01-2009, 1:59pm
I should keep a soundtrack, but I don't. THese two mandolins have almost identical sounds. THey may improve over some time, but if they are going to be good, they will be good from the start. THe biggest improvement I have seen is within the first 30 minutes after tuning up, then a little better again the next morning, whether it's played or not. THe improvement over time is subtle, not hardly even noticable unless it comes back years later and I happen to know how I felt about it when I built it. I've learned that there isn't much you can do to hurt a good sounding mandolin, and nothing you can do to help a bad one.

Patrick Hull
Nov-01-2009, 9:20pm
Beautiful. Love the dark/black burst.

Skip Kelley
Nov-02-2009, 7:51am
Ken, Those are great looking mandolins as always! I agree with you on the sound of a good mandolin. If it sounds good from the start, it will be a good one.

Mark Walker
Nov-05-2009, 10:28am
Ken - more fine work. (As always!)

Does the buyer influence whether you craft them with a one piece or two-piece back, or do you just randomly build one or the other based on how you're feeling on a given day of crafting mandolins?

(Both types are beautiful of course! You've always got great-looking stained and varnished backs on all your mandolins.)

- Mark

lmartnla
Nov-05-2009, 12:13pm
[QUOTE=DerTiefster;729306]"econos" with front and back binding? They're beautiful.

I agree. What does 'econo' mean? These seem to have all you could want. I'm partial to the one-piece backs.--Lou

Mark Walker
Nov-05-2009, 3:03pm
[QUOTE=DerTiefster;729306]"econos" with front and back binding? They're beautiful.

I agree. What does 'econo' mean? These seem to have all you could want. I'm partial to the one-piece backs.--Lou

Back early this year, Ken Ratcliff started promoting a 'no-frills A-style mandolin' (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47087&highlight=economando) at about a $1300 price-point if I recall correctly.
(You can check Ken's site for pricing.) (http://silverangelmandolins.com/pricing.html) NFI.
No case included, limited binding, lacquer finish, etc.
Judging from all the results on a search for 'economando,' Ken's been keeping busy building them, and has expanded his 'economando' offerings to include full binding, varnish or distressed-varnish (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49390&highlight=economando)finishes, and basically any feature a buyer might desire (I would assume with an appropriate up-charge) from a custom-crafted mandolin.

In this economy, Ken's doing pretty well I'd say, and I've neither seen nor heard a single derogatory comment about these 'econonomical' instruments! :mandosmiley:

kyken
Nov-05-2009, 3:39pm
Thanks Mark, you explained it pretty well, check my website for the prices. I don't want to use this forum for that. I call them no frills, but actually they are far from that. I don't know what it is about an A, maybe the shape, something, but they really have that sound. I don't scrimp on the wood with these A's, I guess because I've been collecting nice maple all my life, and never really searched for any plain wood. I'm not sure how much longer I'll have this price.

Matthew Carver
Nov-05-2009, 8:06pm
They look awesome, glad I am getting on the list for one.

Stinky Old Hat
Nov-07-2009, 10:55pm
I received number 301 this week (one piece back in the photos). It's got a huge sound right out of the box. No need to wait for this one to open up- it's got "it" right now. The whole experience with Ken was as great as the final product. I enjoyed the e-mails and photos of the building process. In my opinion there is no better way to spend $1500. Thanks again Ken

D C Blood
Nov-09-2009, 3:10pm
OK Stinky Old Hat...now you've got to join the Silverangel Social Group and also send photos of #30l and of you pickin' it to the Silverangel myspace site. See my sig line for link. :grin:

Stinky Old Hat
Nov-10-2009, 11:29pm
Thanks. I joined the group tonight. I'll try to get some pictures to you soon. I am actually the owner of #291 also. It popped up on ebay while I was waiting for mine to be completed and I couldn't resist. It's not the all out beast that #301 is but still sounds great. I got it pretty cheap and thought I'd sell it after mine was done, but, it's a keeper.

D C Blood
Nov-11-2009, 11:10pm
Eagerly awaiting the photos, for both of them, and remember to include the names...