PDA

View Full Version : Mike Compton will now take your questions

Scott Tichenor
Oct-29-2009, 9:58am
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/uploads/compton_009.jpgWe're happy to announce that Mike Compton has agreed to be the subject of one of our future interviews. As with our John Reischman piece (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001141.shtml) and the Paul Glasse interview (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56100) we'll be using questions submitted by our forum members.

Our plan is still to run just one interview a month. With the holidays right around the corner we're working on the Glasse interview at the same time and will run it first. We're just trying to get ahead of the game a little.

For those of you that might not be aware, Mike has been touring with Elvis Costello of late and recently appeared on the Letterman show with the big E. He also has a very high profile recording gig coming up that we're privy to but will let him break that news if he wishes.

Last month he served as the leader of the Bill Monroe mandolin camp held at the International Bluegrass Music Museum in Owensboro, Kentucky. This and his work with legends like John Hartford, Nashville Bluegrass Band, O' Brother and Down From The Mountain tours and ongoing work with David Grier and David Long and others, there should be no shortage of territory to cover.

Fire away! :mandosmiley:

Brian Ray
Oct-29-2009, 10:12am
Could Mike eat a bowl of peanuts that is as big as his head?

Greg Wilson
Oct-29-2009, 10:23am
Mike what kind of practice routine would you suggest for intermediate players working towards adding complexity and speed to solo breaks.

maj34
Oct-29-2009, 10:24am
Your website indicated that you were taking fiddle lessons at one time. Has this influenced your mandolin playing? If so, how?

Are there any old-time fiddlers (living or not) who you find particularly inspiring?

Joe Hinkebein
Oct-29-2009, 10:33am
Hey Mike,
As a bluegrass mandolinist who has also spent time playing with old-time fiddlers such as John Hartford, and James Bryan, I would like to know whether your approach to each differs and how (i.e playing in a straight up BG ensemble such as NBB vs. OT String Band such as Hartford's)?

Relatedly, curious how you see traditional fiddle music having influenced your playing (in contrast to mandolinists who are less tuned into the immense world of OT fiddle tunes).

Best,
Joe Hinkebein

Rick Schmidlin
Oct-29-2009, 10:38am
Mike, I have heard that you think it's best to learn all the chords of a Monroe song before learning the melody. Could you please expand on this?

woodwizard
Oct-29-2009, 10:43am
Hey Mike,
As a bluegrass mandolinist who has also spent time playing with old-time fiddlers such as John Hartford, and James Bryan, I would like to know whether your approach to each differs and how (i.e playing in a straight up BG ensemble such as NBB vs. OT String Band such as Hartford's)?

Relatedly, curious how you see traditional fiddle music having influenced your playing (in contrast to mandolinists who are less tuned into the immense world of OT fiddle tunes).

Best,
Joe Hinkebein

I'd like to hear the answer to this one too. Good question Joe. Also ... Mike we all know you are the master of the Monroe style of pickin. How does it change when you are picking some oldtime fiddle stuff? Or does it?

SternART
Oct-29-2009, 10:46am
I've been to a workshop where you compared Bill Monroe's music to Vincent Van Gogh, the Dutch painter's art. This has stayed with me, and I was wondering how you came up with this, and if you have any artistic talents, other than music?

fishdawg40
Oct-29-2009, 10:54am
You have a tremendous right hand. I especially appreciate the intensity. Besides the general advice to practice, is there specifically a strategy/technique to get such a strong attack?

Did you ever experience any backlash about your playing style? Even though it is based on Monroe's I don't hear anybody play like you. But maybe I'm sheltered.

rnjl
Oct-29-2009, 12:17pm
Hi- I'd like to hear your thoughts on posture, holding the mandolin correctly, and staying relaxed while playing strong- on both right and left hands.

Thanks!

Bigtuna
Oct-29-2009, 12:37pm
Who would you like to work/play with that you haven't had a chance to as of now?

roberto
Oct-29-2009, 4:22pm
Hola. Your compositions are so rich and full in every aspect. When writing a tune, it comes mainly from your head or from your hands?

(Since I'm from Spain that question maybe gramatically wrong, correct it if needed, please)

Gerry Hastie
Oct-30-2009, 2:34am
Economy of left hand movement seems a particular feature of your playing. This has often commented on by members of this forum who have seen your YouTube broadcasts. Can you talk about your approach to left hand technique (I notice there's already a Q about the right hand!).

Wayne Stuvick
Oct-30-2009, 3:58am
Mike, are you still thinking about doing an instructional video? IF so, which direction do you think you'd take it, i.e. what are some of the things you'd like to include in it?

grassrootphilosopher
Oct-30-2009, 8:17am
Mike,
as far as I know you had an (early) Gilchrist that had to be repaired after a bus accident on the road with the Nashville Bluegrass Band. Then you had Gilchrist No. 500 (on loan?) while a new instrument was built by Steve Gilchrist. Since I know where Gil No.500 resides now I presume you have your new Gilchrist. How would you compare these three instruments to each other (similarities and differences in appearance, tone and feel).

I would also like to ask a question concerning solo mandolin work (without a backup band). It allways impressed me that Bill Monroe could play solo mandolin in his style and he could make it sound astoundingly nice and full. A band context is not needed there. You have the same ability. What is the difference aproaching a solo piece as contrasted to a mandolin solo/break in a band context. To exemplify I am pointing towards these youtube clips:

7G4dmPTsiSw

LI92oDdXazg

sachmo63
Oct-30-2009, 3:59pm
Mike, for most bluegrass music of late the mandolin players mostly use the "newer" style of playing incorporating more notes to fill up space in they're leads or back up. For an aspiring mandolinist how would you recommend incorporating your style of playing into a traditional bluegrass format or band.

Thanks

Sachmo

Gerry Hastie
Oct-30-2009, 5:55pm
You have participated in such a variety of projects including film soundtracks and the Elvis Costello album. What is it about your playing that has led to you being asked to be involved in these projects? Can you comment on how you approach each different situation and how you use the influence of Monroe style to meet what each requires?

GTG
Oct-30-2009, 6:43pm
Mike, you are known to mando players as the modern torch-bearer of the traditional Monroe style. How do feel about the balance between keeping this tradition alive vs. exploring newer sounds and styles? Do you consciously set out to maintain a certain sound in your playing, as a nod to the Monroe tradition, or do you just play the notes (and tones) that sound good to you?

cedarhog
Oct-30-2009, 7:56pm
I'd like to know why Mike holds his pick so extremely weird and insists others need to do the same....it took me 6 months to recover from that grip. Is there something about that grip that has sold him to it.

mandomedic
Oct-30-2009, 9:15pm
Mike, your tremolo is one of the best in the business. I would like an explanation of your pick grip and depth of pick into the strings during your tremolo... Do you find you get a better tone with a tighter pick grip or is it the Sushi? Kenc

hank
Oct-31-2009, 9:39am
After all these years of playing professionally with so many artist and their mandolins, how would you describe what you find desirable and exciting in a mandolin. I’ve heard people speak of the modern sound of a Gilchrist and that you were not a big fan of the classic Loar sound. Can you explain this more fully? Given the wide spectrum of available attributes a mandolin may excel in(ex. bass/treble response, sustain, pleasant tone, power, etc. etc.) do you find two mandolins somewhat opposite more able to manifest the sounds in your mind or one mandolin that blends them together. My last question is do you have any comments on virzi’s?

GTison
Oct-31-2009, 12:44pm
Mr. Compton, your playing is very distinctive from anyone. Please describe your style. Who are YOUR influences.

Do you like about the Black Blues Mandolin players? How do you incorporate that into your style. Can you give an example of something specific in your playing that incorporates something from that style. Perhaps a run or lick?

Did you purposely CHOOSE a style to pursue when starting out?

How do you learn "licks".

How important do you think your specific mandolin was in developing your style?

Is it difficult for you to keep motivated during slow times of the year?

What stokes your creative fire?

Do you like to go up against other mandolinist? Why?

fAtHanD
Nov-02-2009, 3:17pm
I love the Stomp album and was just wondering what recording projects you have in the works?

Also someone already asked, but any chance of an instructional DVD or book from you in the future?

billkilpatrick
Nov-02-2009, 3:29pm
someone here at the cafe referred to himself as an instrument "hopper" ... a multi-instrumentalist, leaping from one to the other, never really completely getting to grips with just one. i recognized myself as well.

mike - have you experienced this? if "yes," what made you choose the mandolin? if "no," what made you choose the mandolin?

Skip Kelley
Nov-02-2009, 3:37pm
Mike, I have always been a big fan! I love your playing especially your tremelo. You play what sounds like a triplet tremelo. Just how do you do that and how can one practice that? Thanks! Best wishes, Skip

grassrootphilosopher
Nov-02-2009, 4:44pm
Mike,
is there any persons mandolin - other than your own - that you like best. If so, who´s mandolin is it, what mandolin is it (make, builder, etc.), and why do you like it.

Wesley
Nov-03-2009, 7:01pm
In a film clip I saw Tim O'Brien draw a similarity between the playing styles of Bill Monroe and Chuck Berry saying that Chuck must have listened to a lot of Monroe. Your comments? And what other instrumentalists outside of bluegrass do you listen to for inspiration?

David M.
Nov-04-2009, 9:06am
Mike, please tell us about how and why you came to your Gil mandolin. What others have you had or still have that were good one?

Jefa432
Nov-04-2009, 6:37pm
What is the best way to add double stops and still stay true to the tune?

Jeff

Mike Bunting
Nov-04-2009, 7:29pm
wrong thread.

GTison
Dec-18-2009, 3:31pm
did this interview get posted?

farmerjones
Dec-18-2009, 3:55pm
i read it's almost done. here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57296

GTison
Dec-20-2009, 10:54pm
Compton?

Oh I see it is in Scott's first post to the Marshall thread.