PDA

View Full Version : Matt Flinner's Half Moondog

JFDilmando
Oct-28-2009, 4:16pm
Has anyone out there in mandoland worked up Matt's Half Moondog to the point where you might have music or tab ?? Even the chords would help....

thanks for any info that might appear...
Happy sounds

JohnD

Tbone
Oct-29-2009, 5:31pm
I'll take a look at it, good tune.

Tbone
Oct-30-2009, 2:14pm
I looked at it last nite, key of C. Chords for the A part are (roughly) C/G/C/F/C/F/G. B part is, roughly, F/G/F/G/F/G, maybe a C in there somewhere at the end.

Structure is AABA. I've got the melody mostly down, but I'll need some time to get it written down.

Anybody have any good software for making nice neat tab, preferrably in acrobat format? Let me know, as my handwritten tab is mostly readable by only one person on the planet.

Jason Kindall
Feb-01-2010, 11:20pm
Sure would like to see this one go somewhere... :whistling:

Great tune.

Dan Johnson
Feb-07-2010, 11:27pm
Working on it s bit... So far, I can tell you it's mostly based out of the C positions...

i.e. index finger on on the third fret, second string, up to pinky, eighth fret, first string...

that might give you a good start, or just be confusing. I've never written much notation, but I'm working on this one, and if I get any together, I'll post it. Thanks!

chip
Feb-07-2010, 11:44pm
If you can email it to me when your done! Thanks!

Jason Kindall
Feb-15-2010, 9:43am
I've got the opening run and a lot of the melody figured out, but it still isn't quite right.

JFDilmando
Feb-15-2010, 5:29pm
I have it all worked out... but have not taken the time to figure out how to get it into a tab form...
If I get to tabedit or something, I'll certainly share...

I haven't worked out his "improv" which is great as well, but I have everything else...

I talked with the band when they were here near Chicago, and they showed me the chords...

C C G G
C C Dm Dm
Am Bb F F
C G C C

Dm Dm Em Em
F G F C
Dm Dm Em Em
F G F /Dm G/

The improv for guitar/mando only plays the first "head" of the tune...

Very pretty arrangement... can't believe it was one of their tunes that was written on the day it was performed in the evening...

JohnD

Jason Kindall
Feb-15-2010, 10:19pm
Thanks, John! Those minor chords sure explain a lot of my version's not sounding quite right. Seems like the mando breaks are all in C with an emphasis on the pentatonic, but I can't be sure.

JFDilmando
Feb-16-2010, 11:33am
Yes, the mando and guitar breaks are all taken in C.... following the the progression as I offered...

The "D" progression is only played in the tunes early and late statement of the melody...

It is challenging to play solo, as you have to let your C chord, and base C note ring through your statement of the signature "riff" that is delayed in timing. Watching Matt, you can see that he is doing that a bit even in the band context, but plays very softly, and lets the base, and guitar really state the "C".

There is alot of ways to play through it in solo situation...

Have fun
JohnD

Tbone
Feb-16-2010, 1:44pm
I had this one tabbed out on my work computer. I've subsequently lost my job, so the file went bye-bye, sorry guys.

Jason Kindall
Feb-16-2010, 10:09pm
I had this one tabbed out on my work computer. I've subsequently lost my job, so the file went bye-bye, sorry guys.

Sorry for the bad news! On both accounts - but mostly on the job.

adgefan
Jan-11-2011, 7:02am
I worked out a rough approximation of this tune last night. Thanks for posting the chords above, it really helped.

If anybody still wants it, I'd be happy to share the tab once I've tidied it up a bit.

scody311
Jan-19-2011, 10:26pm
Am seeing Matt Friday night at Swallow Hill in Denver... looking forward to hearing it live.

JFDilmando
Jan-19-2011, 10:51pm
Adgefan;
HAve you worked out Matt's solo within the tune ?? That is something that I haven't done, but would love to see.
JD

Scott Tichenor
Jan-19-2011, 11:02pm
Here's a secret I wasn't going to tell, but why not? We have a big Matt Flinner interview in the works that's about 80% done. Probably out in second or third week of February. Really some cool stuff so far. Maybe we can round up a transcription of this from him.

djidaho
Jan-20-2011, 12:33am
Way To cool Scott, They are here again in Idaho next week. Looking forward to the interview!!
Dave

MandoNicity
Jan-20-2011, 2:43am
Like! Oh wait, this isn't facebook? ;)

JR

adgefan
Jan-20-2011, 5:14am
Adgefan;
HAve you worked out Matt's solo within the tune ?? That is something that I haven't done, but would love to see.
JD

I've just got the first solo (i.e. the main melody) so far. I am planning to transcribe the rest of it, but I've been distracted by trying to work out Inferno Reel instead...!

Excellent news about the interview, Scott.

JFDilmando
Feb-10-2013, 12:21pm
Has anyone ever worked out Matt's improv in tab or notation form ??

JFDilmando
Feb-10-2013, 1:02pm
Ya know.... I am modifying that last question... as I think about it, I have never really heard Matt play it twice the same way...
but his recorded version has such taste, and sensitivity, I was wondering if anyone had worked THAT version out....

ComMANDOmatt
Feb-10-2013, 3:25pm
This is from a couple of night ago... Wish I had the notation for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thi8q0c0jEI

Mandocarver
Feb-15-2013, 7:17am
I'm almost sure that the notation has been posted in a previous interview or "10 questions" article with Matt Flinner on the Cafe, but for the moment I can't find it or the copy I made. I'll keep trying.

Mandocarver
Feb-15-2013, 7:22am
Found it, just after posting [URL="http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001309.shtml"]
The notation's in a link about half-way down the page

JFDilmando
Feb-15-2013, 12:56pm
Mandocarver.... I know about that notation, as it has been around for some time.... what I was referring to is someone's attempt to transcribe his improvisation over the "A" part in his recording.... not the head A and B of the tune...

at the end of the day, I am being just lazy, and seeing if anyone had worked it out, and could offer it on a plate, rather than take the time to do it myself.... after all is said and done, I'll get after it myself one of these days.