PDA

View Full Version : New Pick

baze7
Oct-28-2009, 12:36pm
I am new to playing the mandolin, only about a week, but I have been playing with a guitar pick. I got a more "round" mandolin pick and played with it just for a few minutes. I don't really like it so far, seems harder to get clean tones. My question is, is there an advantage to using a pick like this? Do most people get use to it after playing with one for awhile? Thanks

Chad

Denny Gies
Oct-28-2009, 12:44pm
Most people I know have tried both shapes, and more, and arrived at what they were comfortable with and what produced the sound they wanted. Have fun, you decided on a great hobby or passion.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-28-2009, 12:53pm
I think you'll find some more mandolin specific actions like tremolo might come easier with the rounder edge, might not. Picks are pretty subjective. What one person loves another person can't stand.

JEStanek
Oct-28-2009, 12:55pm
The least expensive (in general) way to change your sound is to change your pick and grip. Take $10 to the local store or Elderly and just get a variety of picks and try them out. I really like the Pro-Plec and Dawg picks the best. I have a Wegen that's OK too. I've not yet invested in the $20+ picks folks use however, they swear by them.

Jamie

Elliot Luber
Oct-28-2009, 1:08pm
If you came to mandolin from guitar, you may be used to a lighter, pointier pick, unless you play classical mandolin. Try a few. I like the Dunlop Tortex, the ProPlec and the fragile but great ($20) Red Bear. Not very big on the, forgive me, Dawg picks.

AlanN
Oct-28-2009, 1:11pm
If you'd like, send me a PM with your address. I'll send you a Clown Barf from Japan, free of charge. It is the quintessential shape of many a rounded-corner, stiff pick that many/most grass mandolin pickers use. It may take some getting used to, but it will bring out the tone. See if you like it.

250sc
Oct-28-2009, 2:20pm
With both my guitar and mandolin I find that pointy picks produce a brighter tone and the round picks produce a warmer (less high frequencies) tone. Personally, I have more trouble playing with rounded picks than ones that are pointy.

Try a bunch and see what you like.